Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: If you were Walt, which combo would you choose?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bruce - Stubbs - Gomes

20 30.77%
  • Bruce - Dickerson - Gomes

1 1.54%
  • Bruce - Stubbs/Dickerson - Gomes

29 44.62%
  • Bruce - Stubbs - Free Agent

4 6.15%
  • Bruce - Dickerson - Free Agent

2 3.08%
  • Bruce - Stubbs/Dickerson - Free Agent

9 13.85%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds OF 2010?

Reds OF 2010?

A poll similar to this one may have been posted before. Even so, I figured it was worth discussing the topic broadly now that the season is officially over.

My assumptions are as follows:
    *Bruce will start in RF
    *LF will either be Gomes or a FA
    *CF will either be Stubbs, Dickerson or a platoon of the two
    *Willy Taveras will either be on the bench or not with the team

So... what say you?
    Last edited by RedEye; 10-12-2009 at 10:03 PM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Reds OF 2010?

I would choose an option that isn't on there. Bruce, Stubbs and Gomes/Dickerson.

Oops... maybe I should have included that. How do I edit a poll?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

My favorite option isn't there either, although I didn't suspect it would be.

Bruce - Dickerson/Heisey - C. Crawford (in a trade since he allegedly has an option).

Crawford LF
    M. Izturis SS
    Votto 1B
    BP 2B
    Bruce RF
    Rolen 3B
    Dickerson/Heisey CF
    Hanigan/Montero C

Of the more likely options I'd go with Bruce - Dickerson/Stubbs - Gomes/Nix (I like Nix and thought he did pretty well overall).
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    My favorite option isn't there either, although I didn't suspect it would be.

Bruce - Dickerson/Heisey - C. Crawford (in a trade since he allegedly has an option).

Crawford LF
    M. Izturis SS
    Votto 1B
    BP 2B
    Bruce RF
    Rolen 3B
    Dickerson/Heisey CF
    Hanigan/Montero C

Of the more likely options I'd go with Bruce - Dickerson/Stubbs - Gomes/Nix (I like Nix and thought he did pretty well overall).
    Acquisitions of both Crawford and Izturis would be pretty popular around here but I'm not even sure that we can expect both Gomes and Nix to be back much less that the Reds could acquire a couple players that, combined, would be more expensive. I think both Gomes and Nix are up for arbitration and, even though the savings wouldn't be that much, I could see the Reds keeping Balentien over Nix with money being at least part of the reason.

Barring an acquisition, my favorite option at this point is Gomes/Francisco, Stubbs/Dickerson and Bruce/Balentien.

In LF, Francisco would play against most RHP, but at least once a week at 3B to rest Rolen and give Gomes an additional start. Add maybe another 10 games while Votto rests and Francisco or Gomes plays 1B and there should be plenty of playing time. Say Francisco gets 35 starts at 3B and 1B, while Gomes plays those days as well and your looking at over 350 PAs each.

In CF, Dickerson would play against most RHP but Stubbs would play against enough RH to split the PAs right down the middle. If Stubbs performs, he could win the job outright. Dickerson OTOH will never be more than a platoon guy.

Bruce is the primary guy in RF, but Balentien would play against LHP while Bruce is slumping. When Bruce is hot he would play against everyone with Balentien being more of a RH PH and a guy who could slide into Gomes spot should Gomes get hurt or possibly dealt at the deadline. Bruce should still get well over 500 PAs.

My least favorite option is any combination that sees Dickerson and Stubbs in the line-up at the same time. The judy hitting defenders need to stick to CF and any combo that sees one in a corner hurts the team IMO (and the defense doesn't make up for it). Give me some mashers in the corner spots. The Reds already have offensive questions at SS and C, a judy hitter in CF every day with a likely a judy hitter at 3B and a low OBP guy at 2B. The team needs offense in LF. If the team could acquire a power bat to plug in at SS or C, then carrying a tablesetter type in LF would fit better, but with the current make up, its just not acceptable.

Should Stubbs prove he needs more time in AAA, then I think the team should go with a Dickerson/Balentien platoon where Bruce plays CF and Balentien RF against LHP with Dickerson in CF and Bruce in RF against RHP. If Francisco is not ready (very possible) then I guess Gomes goes every day in LF or Dorn gets a dark horse shot to platoon with him. Dorn instead of Francisco could hamstring the roster since Francisco's experience at 3B makes carrying 6 OF work. I don't really believe that the Reds will give Dorn any consideration and I suspect he'll be lost in Rule 5. If so, look for Sutton to be Rolen's caddy and get some starts in LF against RHP when Gomes needs a rest.
    Last edited by mth123; 10-13-2009 at 05:20 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I would choose an option that isn't on there. Bruce, Stubbs and Gomes/Dickerson.

Barring the fact that I doubt we go after an OFer FA, that would be my choice too. And I'd have Balentein on the bench.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Barring the fact that I doubt we go after an OFer FA, that would be my choice too. And I'd have Balentein on the bench.
    Same here.

Ankiel/Gomes - Dickerson/Heisey - Bruce

...with Stubbs and Owings going to Milwaukee for Hardy.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Ankiel/Gomes - Dickerson/Heisey - Bruce

...with Stubbs and Owings going to Milwaukee for Hardy.
    Milwaukee would probably take that deal. I'm not sure I'd offer it though. Shortstop is a much bigger problem in 2010 than in 2011-15 imo. We have prospects in the system that could help in 2011-15 and money coming off the books after 2010 that can be used for a legit (possibly better) shortstop if needed. Just not sure I'd make that offer when Stubbs could be our centerfielder for years and there could be even better options for shortstop after only one season.

And no thanks to Ankiel. I'd rather have an in-house option (Dickerson, Balentien, Dorn, etc etc).

Stubbs is a luxury because I think Dickerson/Heisey would be more productive over the long run anyway. Depends on whether you like numbers or a name. I'm suspicious of our SSs. Valaika has shaky defense and I don't see how Cozart will ever be better than average because of his bat. If Hardy rebounds, he's top-5 SS and another big RH bat to offset all the lefties. If not, let him walk after 2 years, it's not like Stubbs is a sure thing either.

And yeah, Ankiel is terrible. I just think it's a likely move from the guy who traded two of our best pitching prospect for another one of his former players who we really didn't need. I'm just preparing myself mentally.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 10-13-2009 at 09:37 AM.

No Stubbs isn't a sure thing. Neither is Heisey or Dickerson a sure thing to be a full-time average or better centerfielder for 600+ at bats. The jury is still out (at least to some extent) on all of those players. But Hardy is the only one mentioned (besides Ankiel) who will cost money which is especially important for any club with a payroll like the Reds which will have little, to no, room to spend on players that make more than the minimum. If Valaika and Cozart don't pan out we'll still likely have more payroll room, after 2010, to go after someone like Itzuriz, Rollins, or Reyes. I'm not saying for sure that I wouldn't do the deal just that it doesn't seem like a slam dunk move to me.

I think Heisey is still a year away (2011).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

My favorite option by July is Votto / Stubbs / Bruce.

My 2010 dream outfield:

LF: Juan Pierre
    CF: Willy T
    RF: Jeff Francoeur

In all seriousness, if we're working in house then Bruce in right, platoon Dickerson/Stubbs in center and then pray for a miracle in left.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Turn Off Ads?