Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Angels interested in Reds pitching?

Angels interested in Reds pitching?

From Peter Gammons:

5. Word is the Angels are worried enough about their starting pitching to look around, especially at the Reds. And several Arizona teams have expressed interest in Boston reliever Manny Delcarmen. Boston needs a catcher, and could use another infielder and even another outfielder.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...=gammons_peter

If I were Walt, I'd offer Bronson Arroyo for shortstop Erick Aybar or Brandon Wood. I prefer Aybar. I'd hate to trade Arroyo but if we can land a shortstop of the future then I would have to make the deal.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Angels interested in Reds pitching?

I can't see Walt trying to acquire a SS unless he can figure out a way to unload Gonzalez.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I can't see Walt trying to acquire a SS unless he can figure out a way to unload Gonzalez.
    I think that we are at the point that it wouldn't matter. Gonzo is getting paid either way.

I wonder if Aybar would really be worth it. Hasn't done much with the stick to warrant giving up anything of value. Unloading Arroyo's contract would be nice, but i would hope to get a little more for him.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I wonder if Aybar would really be worth it. Hasn't done much with the stick to warrant giving up anything of value.
    That's always the rub. You can't land a young SS after his stick has come around. For instance, Jose Reyes in 2005 after .686 and .644 OPS seasons, maybe you could have pried him loose. But after 2006 when his OPS jumped to .841, fuggedaboudit.

Aybar is no Reyes, but if you like his glove and think his offensive game is going to improve, then you don't have the luxury of waiting to see if you're right. This is where quality scouting becomes crucial.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That's always the rub. You can't land a young SS after his stick has come around. For instance, Jose Reyes in 2005 after .686 and .644 OPS seasons, maybe you could have pried him loose. But after 2006 when his OPS jumped to .841, fuggedaboudit.

Aybar is no Reyes, but if you like his glove and think his offensive game is going to improve, then you don't have the luxury of waiting to see if you're right. This is where quality scouting becomes crucial.
    Agreed. I guess it would have to be up to the scouts. Looking at Aybar's minor league numbers, nothing really jumps out except the steals. I wonder why he stopped running once he got to the show.

I'd give up Arroyo, but I'd want more than Aybar or Wood. Both have offensive issues and questions enough to warrant a healthy skepticism. But, if the Angels offered Wood and another prospect for Arroyo (Nick Adenhardt?), I'd love to have that bat in the seven or eight hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I'd give up Arroyo, but I'd want more than Aybar or Wood. Both have offensive issues and questions enough to warrant a healthy skepticism. But, if the Angels offered Wood and another prospect for Arroyo (Nick Adenhardt?), I'd love to have that bat in the seven or eight hole.
    That might be a little much. I'd be happy with Brandon Wood.

Reading their prospect list didn't excite me much......

I'd go Arroyo for Aybar. Remember, we can't ask for much more when you consider Arroyo's contract and relative + likely future decline.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I wonder why he stopped running once he got to the show.
    He looks to be getting a little thick in the lower body. That happens to a fair number of fast guys (e.g. Luis Castillo).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Aybar and Wood have certainly put up some numbers this spring

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From Peter Gammons:

5. Word is the Angels are worried enough about their starting pitching to look around, especially at the Reds. And several Arizona teams have expressed interest in Boston reliever Manny Delcarmen.
    Oops.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Aybar and Wood have certainly put up some numbers this spring
    I'd think these are the two guys the Reds would debate. Wood's interesting if he can play SS, but his BB:K is a huge red flag. I like Aybar, too. He had a big winter, and he's hitting well this spring. High energy player still looking to prove himself.

Lot of possible angles here. The Angels would love to move Matthews Jr, and his contract is very similar to both Harang's and Arroyo's. How much more could the Reds extort from LA if they were willing to take on Matthews? (You know Baker is buddies with Sarge Sr.) I'd think they'd have to take AGon going back and cough up Aybar or Wood, at least.

Or, would LA cough up Figgins, who the Reds might then deal to the White Sox for Dye? There's been a lot of smoke around the Reds, Angels and White Sox. If any team would take on $$$, it's the Angels. But anything that involves the Reds and White Sox would probably have to be a wash dollar-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Oops.
    Peter might have been a little quick on the shorthand - my guess is that he was looking for Arizona Cactus league teams.

BTW - if DelCarmen is being looked at, why not Weathers?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

As long as it doesn't involve Matthews Jr. coming back in return, that team remains an interesting trading partner.

Turn Off Ads?