Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Texieria Anyone?

Mark Texieria Anyone?

Dunn's trade yesterday made me wonder if the Reds could be major players for Mark Texieria this offseason. With the departure of Griffey and Dunn, they free up payroll and could shift Votto to LF.

Opinions?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mark Texieria Anyone?

My opinion is they couldn't afford Dunn so they sure won't be able to afford Tex. My suggestion to all Reds fans out there: Do not count on the Reds spending money for the most expensive FAs. You're living pie in the sky if you do and you're bound for disappointment bigtime. The Reds don't do well when they spend big money on FAs like Cordero and Milton and I think WJ knows that.

It ain't happenin'

I'm not so sure that they couldn't afford Dunn as much as they didn't want to pay a player like Dunn who has holes in his game the type of contract he'd command.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    My opinion is they couldn't afford Dunn so they sure won't be able to afford Tex. My suggestion to all Reds fans out there: Do not count on the Reds spending money for the most expensive FAs. You're living pie in the sky if you do and you're bound for disappointment bigtime. The Reds don't do well when they spend big money on FAs like Cordero and Milton and I think WJ knows that.

It ain't happenin'
    Ain't happening? The Reds have an owner that wants to win now. And judging by his comments today,

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...308110055/1071

I think instead of rebuilding, they are planning to reload.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Ain't happening? The Reds have an owner that wants to win now. And judging by his comments today,

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...308110055/1071

I think instead of rebuilding, they are planning to reload.

If he wanted to win now he'd have held onto Dunn. If he wanted to raise the payroll he would have kept Dunn. Listen to his actions. Don't get carried away with the rhetoric. He's not going to come out and say "we're going young and cheap." It'd cost him too much in PR and in season tickets

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If he wanted to win now he'd have held onto Dunn. If he wanted to raise the payroll he would have kept Dunn. Listen to his actions. Don't get carried away with the rhetoric. He's not going to come out and say "we're going young and cheap." It'd cost him too much in PR and in season tickets
    Dunn had very little appeal to contenders at the trading deadline. It was when the Diamondbacks had no other options to improve that they settled for Dunn.

As for holding onto Dunn, I give ownership a pat on the back for not thinking about extending him for 14 or 15 million a season especially with his inability to drive in runners in scoring position.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Word has always followed Tex that he was more concerned about his line in the box score than the number on the scoreboard.

For whatever that's worth.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

And even if the Reds don't go after Texieria, having 25 million in payroll flexiblity will give Jockerty the ability to retool this team and hopefully make them better balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    As for holding onto Dunn, I give ownership a pat on the back for not thinking about extending him for 14 or 15 million a season especially with his inability to drive in runners in scoring position.
    His RISP numbers have been up and down. But Dunn's line this year with bases loaded: .455/.538/1.000 for an OPS of 1.538. See his situational stats here.

More importantly, the man had 32 HRs and 74 RBIs this year while batting from the 5th and 6th position. He hasn't got nearly the chances to knock in runs as many other sluggers since the Reds are so anemic in OBP (other than Dunn).

Lets measure our runs per game from now to the end of the year. I will bet you that it drops without Dunn.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

I'd be very happy to get him, but realize that offers will start at around 7/140.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'd be very happy to get him, but realize that offers will start at around 7/140.
    With Votto already at first base and possibly Yonder Alonso, I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. Like maybe CC Sabathia.

No chance at all, the Reds will easily be outbid and honestly why would he want to come play here?

Dunn's production and the glaring holes in this team won't be replaced or fixed in the FA market.
    Go Gators!

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

You'll have to outbid Baltimore and LAA.. which I'd rather go after a C.C. Sabathia.

Why?

So we can have another star player surrounded by crap?

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I'm not so sure that they couldn't afford Dunn as much as they didn't want to pay a player like Dunn who has holes in his game the type of contract he'd command.
    Bingo.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Turn Off Ads?