Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Bengals Discussion

Re: How bad are the Bengals going to be next year?

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Carson's not even the first Bengal to retire instead of play. Barry Foster did it in the 90s.
    You're comparing Barry Foster with Carson Palmer? Really? The guy who had a 5 yr career and never played for anyone other than the Pittsburgh Steelers? How many years did the Bengals "control" him?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    But those guys didn't handle it like Palmer did. They all showed up eventually. Palmer would have been much smarter to show up and play all the while telling MB privately that he wants out. That formula worked for the others. Palmer's strategy will not work.

Most NFL teams, will refuse to recognize any players contract grievances until the player agrees to report.

Palmer has forced this team to assume an all or nothing stance MB has chosen nothing...for now. He still has 4 yrs to trade him
    I agree with Sea Ray. My guess is that was what Palmer intended to do eventually, but when the story got leaked and the whole city and team essentially said, "See ya." He was left with no choice but to simply sit and wait.

That makes me wonder who was responsible for leaking it?
    Someone in Palmer's camp who really didn't want to see him come back?
    Someone in the Bengals camp who wanted another excuse for a pitiful season?
    The sad thing is I bet Mike Brown feels vindicated now, when the story broke, public opinion turned on Palmer pretty quickly, and everyone has been fairly excited about Andy Dalton and AJ Green.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I agree with Sea Ray. My guess is that was what Palmer intended to do eventually, but when the story got leaked and the whole city and team essentially said, "See ya." He was left with no choice but to simply sit and wait.

That makes me wonder who was responsible for leaking it?
    Someone in Palmer's camp who really didn't want to see him come back?
    Someone in the Bengals camp who wanted another excuse for a pitiful season?
    The sad thing is I bet Mike Brown feels vindicated now, when the story broke, public opinion turned on Palmer pretty quickly, and everyone has been fairly excited about Andy Dalton and AJ Green.
    I think he had people purposely leak it so he could lay low. I think he intended to sell his house and never come back. If that wasn't his intention, he easily could have set the record straight either directly or through his agent. The fact that he didn't shows me that he indeed never did intend to play another game in Bengal stripes

Really impressed with that first half.

Dalton looks sharp.
    D-Line is in the backfield.
    O-Line opening up holes.
    Benson and Scott look ready.

How bad will the Bengals be this season hmmmm... Not as bad as Carolina. Gruden has his offense in a nice flow mixing a strong running game with an efficient passing attack. Not ready to declare the Bengals headed to a Super Bowl but 4-6 wins is possible.

Bernard Scott looks really fast tonight, 6 carries for 63 yds. Hopefully he can get those 10-12 touches a game Marvin has been talking about.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

They've made improvements and adjustments. That much is clear. The offense has a chance to be pretty good by the end of the year. I still think the defense will be dog crap, but I think Zimmer can get them to overperform a bit. The offense has been guilty of only one pre-snap penalty I believe, a breath of fresh air.

Going to be about health and turnovers. They have no depth so injuries will be key. If they have above average luck with both I think they can win 6.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

In the pre game Dave Lapham reported that Taylor Mays only cost the Bengals a 7th rd pick in the 2013 draft. I found that very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    In the pre game Dave Lapham reported that Taylor Mays only cost the Bengals a 7th rd pick in the 2013 draft. I found that very interesting
    Wow. Would love to know what happened behind the scenes with Mays to drop from so highly regarded to dumped a year later for a late round pick two years down the road.

That was certainly better. If they can run it like they did last night, it will help

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Wow. Would love to know what happened behind the scenes with Mays to drop from so highly regarded to dumped a year later for a late round pick two years down the road.
    I am no football scout, but from what I have read from guys who are.... he isn't quick at all in changing directions, which as a DB, is not good. Apparently he is a fast straight line runner, but when he has to change directions even a little bit, he slows down dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am no football scout, but from what I have read from guys who are.... he isn't quick at all in changing directions, which as a DB, is not good. Apparently he is a fast straight line runner, but when he has to change directions even a little bit, he slows down dramatically.
    I've read the same, which is why I think Zimmer is going to make him more of a strong safety. But this was a criticism of Mays coming out of college. Converting a 2nd round pick into a 7th rounder two years away just a year into having the guy is bizarre. A 2nd rounder getting dumped even two years into their rookie contract is notable, let alone one.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I've read the same, which is why I think Zimmer is going to make him more of a strong safety. But this was a criticism of Mays coming out of college. Converting a 2nd round pick into a 7th rounder two years away just a year into having the guy is bizarre. A 2nd rounder getting dumped even two years into their rookie contract is notable, let alone one.
    Sure, but it only takes one team to overdraft a guy.

Heck, there is absolutely no way that I would have ever thought about taking Cam Newton in the first round last year, much less taking him first overall. The guy is not a quarterback right now. He isn't close. He is a guy who can throw a football and can run pretty well for a guy his size. That doesn't make a guy a quarterback though. I still don't see much of a difference between Cam Newtons skillset and that of Terrell Pryor. Both guys aren't quarterbacks right now, or even close to it. Both guys are big, physical and have some tools, but neither has a clue as to how to be a quarterback at the NFL level right now. One guy went 1st overall. One guy was a 3rd rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Sure, but it only takes one team to overdraft a guy.

Heck, there is absolutely no way that I would have ever thought about taking Cam Newton in the first round last year, much less taking him first overall. The guy is not a quarterback right now. He isn't close. He is a guy who can throw a football and can run pretty well for a guy his size. That doesn't make a guy a quarterback though. I still don't see much of a difference between Cam Newtons skillset and that of Terrell Pryor. Both guys aren't quarterbacks right now, or even close to it. Both guys are big, physical and have some tools, but neither has a clue as to how to be a quarterback at the NFL level right now. One guy went 1st overall. One guy was a 3rd rounder.
    Pryor may well have been a first rounder in the NFL draft. I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on where Pryor was drafted in the supplemental draft. They simply aren't the same.

Honestly, as far as skill sets goes, Pryor is a much better athlete IMO. As you said, neither looks like an NFL QB right now. Pryor has other options though, and I'm not sure what Cam's would be.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    Pryor may well have been a first rounder in the NFL draft. I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on where Pryor was drafted in the supplemental draft. They simply aren't the same.

Honestly, as far as skill sets goes, Pryor is a much better athlete IMO. As you said, neither looks like an NFL QB right now. Pryor has other options though, and I'm not sure what Cam's would be.
    The two drafts are pretty similar since you have to give up that pick in the next years draft. Teams are going to take you based on what they value you at. And to be honest, I think Cam Newton could probably work as a tight end. He has some speed and size. Not sure about his hands, but can't the same be said of Pryor?

Turn Off Ads?