Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Setting the Tone

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Re: Setting the Tone

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It actually is more meaningful than some other games because its against a team we are directly competing against. A win for us is a guaranteed loss for them. A win against the Braves doesn't mean the same for us winning our division. To top it off, this was a win against a team that is supposed to be key competition against us. And then of course is the fact that todays win was a two game swing over them. If we lost, we only have 1 game up on them, but because we won, we are 3 games up on them.
    Also, it served notice to the entire Brewers team that our 11-3 record against them last year will not be improved upon if they don't find a way to play better. The other critical thing was we owned their closer. They even put him in today in a "no pressure" situation, perhaps to regain some confidence, and he was knocked around by the bottom of our order and late inning replacements. In the final standings, this series doesn't mean any more than any other, but it was a huge psychological boost which can carry through the season. The Reds played the way they played all of last year...good aggressive, fundamental baseball. They are a joy to watch.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

2. Turn Off Ads?

Thrilled with the 3-0 atart. Its really good to have hung three losses on the Brewers. But lets not get carried away:

Other teams with 3 wins:

The Baltimore Orioles and the KC Royals.

Other teams with 3 losses;

Defending champs SF Giants. Pre-season power poll leader the Boston Red Sox.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Thrilled with the 3-0 atart. Its really good to have hung three losses on the Brewers. But lets not get carried away:
    Watch out for those Pirates.... they are only 1 game behind first place.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life View Post
    The Pirates swept the Reds early in the season last year if I recall correctly.
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I'm actually predicting that the Pirates will be in a neck & neck battle for the 4th/5th spots in the division with the Cardinals this year. Astros well below them both. If the Pirates get even a little bit of pitching, they're going to improve. They've got some nice young talent. But that rotation....*shivers*

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I'm actually predicting that the Pirates will be in a neck & neck battle for the 4th/5th spots in the division with the Cardinals this year.
    Well...I'm predicting that the Cardinals will be in first place for most of the year. In time, we will see which prediction is more accurate. lol

I'm channeling my inner Edskin here. Momentum is an interesting thing in sports. It affects athletes in different ways.

If you're on a roll, it's contageous. Confidence breeds playing relaxed. Pressing to get out of a slump causes tension.

The degree to which one is affected is often a reflection of his personality, what's going on in his life on and off the field, and a myriad of other psychological factors.

Can it be measured? No. Can it be observed? Sometimes.

One of the biggest jobs of a manager is to get his team playing loose and confident. The gist of that approach, reduce tension, the great destroyer of timing and physical performance.

So, yes it matters, IMO. How much, impossible to quantify.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

It's a long season, and you have to grind it out and keep winning series, but a fast start is always better than a slow one. Three wins in April count as much as 3 in September.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    It's a long season, and you have to grind it out and keep winning series, but a fast start is always better than a slow one. Three wins in April count as much as 3 in September.
    You can win a pennant in April just as you can in Septmeber. The 1970 and 1990 Reds got off to great starts that basically won their divisions for them. The 2011 Reds could do the same. Look at their schedule this month. It very conducive to having a great winning record.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Well...I'm predicting that the Cardinals will be in first place for most of the year.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

After watching the Brewers, Cards, Pirates and Cubs a bit this weekend, I feel better about the REDS.

Sloppy, uninspired. The Pirates hit 16 singles yesterday. NO XBH. None. Zippo. That effort netted them a total of FIVE runs (and they won). There's no power threat in that lineup.

The Cubs and Cards are playing sloppy, the Brewers also.

Didn't see the Astros, but judging from the results, they weren't that good either.

The REDs need to take advantage and beat up on their division foes, like last year.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Well...I'm predicting that the Cardinals will be in first place for most of the year. In time, we will see which prediction is more accurate. lol
    Sounds good Matty. I must admit that I thought Garcia would be a bit of a flash in the pan. I thought he got VERY lucky last year. Well, yesterday turned some heads IMO. If he's that solid this year, that'll be a HUGE boost for the Cards. But I still think the Pirates are going to be improved and that the Cards are going to regress.

Maybe those first three games are somewhat insignificant, but this entire month looks very promising from a schedule standpoint.

If they win 16-17 games in April, things will be looking pretty derned good.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

The strategy is to keep winning series. If they can win two out of three through April and May, that will help even if they go .500 the rest of the season.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Consider the tone set.

Turn Off Ads?