Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Griffey to announce retirement

Re: Griffey to announce retirement

My best memory of Junior was going to see him on Sunday June 24, 2007 in Seattle when he was there with the Reds. They had a big ceremony for him on Friday, but it was on Sunday that he hit two solo homers against the Mariners, and got a standing ovation from the Seattle faithful each time. The first homer was just over the left-center field fence, and Bloomquist jumped up and everyone thought he caught it, so there was a bit of a delayed reaction. The one later in the game was a classic no doubter to right....just hammered.

It seemed like every kid in the near sold out stadium had a Griffey shirt on, and he loved it. I remember him making a great catch in right field that day, and at one point near the end of the game Jr. doffing his hat to the fans. My kids and I loved it. Best game I ever attended....even though the Reds lost.
    Last edited by mbgrayson; 06-03-2010 at 09:44 AM.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Classy statements by Junior and Castellini. I'm happy for him that he is able to leave the game in a humble fashion on his terms. He has outshined most of his superstar contemporaries in this stage of his career.
    /r/reds

Definetly a sad day. Like others have said, he is the reason for me becoming the Reds and baseball fan that I am today.

There will NEVER be another Ken Griffey, Jr. in my eyes.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Griffey may have saved baseball in Seattle, but he "created" Redszone!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Griffey may have saved baseball in Seattle, but he "created" Redszone!

Which is more important?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Which is more important?
    I could care less about baseball in Seattle.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Great story from C. Trent:

Instead, I'll tell the story that I think says more about Griffey than any home run or catch can.

During spring training of 2008, my mother was diagnosed with colon cancer. I knew Griffey's mother had overcome colon cancer a couple of years before. So the day after I found out, I went up to him, "Ken, you got a sec?"

"What's up? What's wrong?" he asked me.

"Yesterday my mom was diagnosed with colon cancer," I said.

"Sit down," and then the first thing he did was give me his mother's phone number to pass on to my mother.
    full story:
    http://cnati.com/blogs/ctrent/2010/0...-loud-6310.php

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I remember when he played HS baseball for Moeller.

I'm feeling old today.

That is an awesome story.

Junior really was a great guy and hearing things like that make me all the more regretful about the hardships he had to endure in Cincy - the injuries, the sports media giving him all kinds of grief, you name it.

I'm proud that he was a Red.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar
    I have quite a few memories. I saw him play a few games in high school and he was head and shoulders above everyone else. I used to make trips up to Detroit when the Mariners came in years ago and I saw some good games there.

My favorite Reds memory was a game a few years ago. He had just come off the DL but didn't start that night because the weather wasn't that good. The Reds gave up a 3 spot in the top of the 10th and in the bottom of the inning they strung together some hits and scored a run. Griffey came in to pinch hit with 2 runners on and the Reds down by 2 and launched one into the seats just below the power stacks. Good times there.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Reds remember Griffey's stay in Cincinnati

After Griffey was traded to the White Sox for reliever Nick Masset and second baseman Danny Richar, it was Bruce who shifted from center field and replaced Griffey in right field. Griffey always knew it was a scenario that was coming, but Bruce found his idol to be generous.

"He was great. As big of a superstar as he was, he was very welcoming to me," Bruce said. "When I wanted to know something, I asked him. He was very gracious about telling me. He was fun to watch, even when he was here."
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Anybody have a link to that great Jr. story about how he treated the guy who caught his 500 home run ball?

The guy didn't ask for anything but a chance to meet Jr. for it, and Jr. was so touched by this that he bought the guy and his family an all expense paid trip to the All-Star game the next year, even getting the guy passes on the field.

The best part of the story is that Jr. made the guy promse he wouldn't tell the media about it. It only leaked to the media years later, after a few friends he told about it, talked to the media.

I can't seem to find any stories on it via google, but I know I read it somewhere a few years ago.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

I was at the game against the Pirates where Bruce made his MLB debut. I remember during a break in game play looking out to the outfield and seeing Griffey and Dunn standing next to Bruce and the three of them engaged in conversation. About what, I have no idea, but I couldn't help but think at that moment, how awe struck does that kid have to feel right now?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Anybody have a link to that great Jr. story about how he treated the guy who caught his 500 home run ball?

The guy didn't ask for anything but a chance to meet Jr. for it, and Jr. was so touched by this that he bought the guy and his family an all expense paid trip to the All-Star game the next year, even getting the guy passes on the field.

The best part of the story is that Jr. made the guy promse he wouldn't tell the media about it. It only leaked to the media years later, after a few friends he told about it, talked to the media.

I can't seem to find any stories on it via google, but I know I read it somewhere a few years ago.

Found a note about it buried in a story about Bonds' 756th homerun:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/19653132/

In 2004, a southern Illinois man caught Ken Griffey Jr.’s 500th home run ball at old Busch and gave it to the Cincinnati Reds’ star, no questions asked. His reward was being lavished with memorabilia plus a trip to the All-Star game.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    ST. LOUIS -- Ken Griffey plans on enjoying his 13th trip to the All-Star Game, and his 12th appearance in the starting lineup with his family -- and a new friend.

Griffey, back in St. Louis for the first time since hitting his 500th career home run on Father's Day, presented quite a thank-you gift to the young man who returned the historic ball to the Reds' clubhouse immediately after the game.

Griffey and the Cincinnati Reds gave Mark Crummley, a 19-year-old college student from Mt. Carmel, Ill., a trip for four to next week's All-Star Game in Houston. The package included airfare, hotel, box seats for the game and tickets to the Home Run Derby.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?....jsp&c_id=null

Turn Off Ads?