Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Votto expected to be out 3-4 weeks after knee surgery

Re: Votto expected to be out 3-4 weeks after knee surgery

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Didn't have MRI until today
    They should have insisted on the MRI 2 weeks ago. He's a $200mill piece of property

2. Turn Off Ads?

I too had meniscus/PCL surgery and was back to playing baseball in 3.5 weeks. It's a VERY simply recovery.
    Do they actually repair the Meniscus or do they remove it?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Votto didn't request the MRI until yesterday or today per Jocketty.
    Wow, when did it become protocol for players to request MRIs? Isn't that the job of the medical director? Kremhack should have insisted Joey get one right after the injury to make sure everything was OK. He's a $250-million+ investment. I don't get the free and easy approach here by Kremchek. When he saw Votto in LA soon after the injury, what exactly did he do? Why was no MRI done then?

And I love the idea that Jim Edmonds was lying about Kremchek. Why would Edmonds make that up? C'mon, let's not let our dislike of Edmonds cloud the truth here. The Reds have a pretty bad medical director.

Re: Votto Not Playing Tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Is HRod on the 40 man?
    Yes. The only infielder at Louisville who is not on the 40-man roster is Willie Harris. Currently the Reds have 39 players on the 40-man roster.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Wow, when did it become protocol for players to request MRIs? Isn't that the job of the medical director? Kremhack should have insisted Joey get one right after the injury to make sure everything was OK. He's a $250-million+ investment. I don't get the free and easy approach here by Kremchek. When he saw Votto in LA soon after the injury, what exactly did he do? Why was no MRI done then?

And I love the idea that Jim Edmonds was lying about Kremchek. Why would Edmonds make that up? C'mon, let's not let our dislike of Edmonds cloud the truth here. The Reds have a pretty bad medical director.
    I hear what you're saying but once Doc Holliday does get a guy on the operating table, he does fix 'em up. I think he's a very good surgeon

So beacuse he is a great surgeon ...that makes him great at diagnosing injuries? Maybe it's about time to have someone else do the diagnosing and leave Dr. Killpatient to doing surgery only?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Do they actually repair the Meniscus or do they remove it?
    The remove parts of it. Been there, done that. Twice.

NM
    Last edited by WVPacman; 07-16-2012 at 11:45 PM.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Had the Reds DL's Votto two weeks ago, the Reds would probably be eight games out of first place by now.

Despite what posters are saying about Kremcheck, he is still one of the top orthopedic surgeons in the entire country, and MANY sports franchises send their athletes to Kremcheck for surgery.
    If your premise is correct (and I don't buy it) then we can expect the reds to be 10-15 games back if he is out 3-4 weeks.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Wow, when did it become protocol for players to request MRIs?
    Since always. You can't preform test/medical procedures on teh unwilliing.

Isn't that the job of the medical director? Kremhack should have insisted Joey get one right after the injury to make sure everything was OK. He's a $250-million+ investment. I don't get the free and easy approach here by Kremchek. When he saw Votto in LA soon after the injury, what exactly did he do? Why was no MRI done then?
    It's not his call. He has input, ultimately it's Joey's call.

Compared to who?

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post

Compared to who?
    This guy

Aside from Votto's awesome hitting, I just worry about taking the one guy who was a huge plus with OBP out. After Hanigan in that department, we have...? It is best to get this done immediately. I'm a bit torn about him having it done before the ASG, unless it caused deeper or more permanent damage. Probably for the better, but I think the Reds needed his bat to sweep the Cards. I really do. I think you reasonably have to plan on him being out until the middle of August. I wonder if his being out will impact the Reds making a trade?

Phillips has been hot as of late, but the Reds are going to need an unsung hero with the stick and they have to pray that Frazier doesn't regress too much (a regression of some sort is likely coming). Maybe it's Bruce, maybe it's Stubbs or someone unexpected. Pitching has to stay strong and the Reds need the Cards and Pirates to lose some games, that's for sure.

I'm sure this is far too ballsy for Dusty, but, I would put Mesoraco at 1B and Frazier at 3B. May lose a few runs defensively, but Frazier + Mesoraco - Votto in the lineup might actually be a little closer to a wash. Certainly closer than Rolen + Frazier. Plus you have the added bonus of Hanigan's OBP in there, at least on days Mesoraco doesn't catch.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Aside from Votto's awesome hitting, I just worry about taking the one guy who was a huge plus with OBP out. After Hanigan in that department, we have...? It is best to get this done immediately. I'm a bit torn about him having it done before the ASG, unless it caused deeper or more permanent damage. Probably for the better, but I think the Reds needed his bat to sweep the Cards. I really do. I think you reasonably have to plan on him being out until the middle of August. I wonder if his being out will impact the Reds making a trade?

Phillips has been hot as of late, but the Reds are going to need an unsung hero with the stick and they have to pray that Frazier doesn't regress too much (a regression of some sort is likely coming). Maybe it's Bruce, maybe it's Stubbs or someone unexpected. Pitching has to stay strong and the Reds need the Cards and Pirates to lose some games, that's for sure.

I'm sure this is far too ballsy for Dusty, but, I would put Mesoraco at 1B and Frazier at 3B. May lose a few runs defensively, but Frazier + Mesoraco - Votto in the lineup might actually be a little closer to a wash. Certainly closer than Rolen + Frazier. Plus you have the added bonus of Hanigan's OBP in there, at least on days Mesoraco doesn't catch.
    Is Mes a better option at 1B than Hannigan?

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    Is Mes a better option at 1B than Hannigan?
    I think Mesoraco is a little more athletic than Hanigan is.

Mes 1B, Hanigan C > Hanigan 1B, Mes C

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    Since always. You can't preform test/medical procedures on teh unwilliing.

It's not his call. He has input, ultimately it's Joey's call.
    And that's the crux of the situation. Going after Kremchek, saying he missed it or misdiagnosed the guy, calling the guy a total hack... and especially on the word of Edmonds... without knowing all the facts/details, is nothing more then emotional hysteria. The FACT is that Kremcheck is so well respected in the industry of sports medicine that other MLB team's players, as well as athletes throughout sports, come to his clinic for surgery. I guess they're all nincompoops?

And it doesn't matter WHO you are or what your yearly income is, as far as the steps taken (recommended) when doing the initial diagnosis. They are going to listen to the patient - how they feel, where it hurts, symptoms - and from there recommend options. But it is always going to come down to the decision of the patient. And in that initial prognosis is may involve the physician recommending an MRI. Does anyone know for sure that Kremcheck didn't recommend an MRI? Anyone? Maybe Joey decided against it, based on the symptoms he was feeling, and to take the route of physical therapy first to see what happens, see if that helps? That's pretty standard. That's the way it was with me (twice -and it worked), and my son recently (shoulder, still yet to be determined. May have to have minor surgery).

It's understandable that people are bummed. But going after Kremchek or this medical staff is absurd IMO.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-17-2012 at 04:30 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?