Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Zach Stewart's night

Zach Stewart's night

Currently pitching for the White Sox against the Twins in Minneapolis. Nobody has reached base through 7 innings against him..

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Zach Stewart's night

Nope, leadoff double for Valencia in the 8th. It was kinda cool seeing Zach get that deep though

The Cy Young push begins.

Congrats to Stewart on his effort tonight.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I have always liked that kid.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I have always liked that kid.
    Same here..
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I saw the story and decided to look at his game log.

He's pitched in 10 games this year, 8 of them starts. in 3 of his starts he gave up 5 runs and 6 runs and 7 runs. in the other 5 starts he went at least 6 innings and never gave up more than 2 runs.

Which isn't unexpected for a rookie, especially one traded 3 starts into his MLB career. I'd rather have Stewart than Leake. JMO.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'd rather have Stewart than Leake. JMO.
    Wait, I thought this was a Stewart or Rolen debate? Are you saying we should have traded Leake for Rolen?

funny. I was in the "The Reds overpaid for Rolen" camp. I'd even go so far as to say the Reds SHOULDN'T have traded for Rolen. He's 36, has a nice long injury history and though he's far and away the best defensive 3B I've seen in red in the last 20 years, his bat has vanished since the ASB of 2010. 8 mil for 65 games? And yet we don't hear the outrage like we did with Griffey. And is anyone really expecting 120+ games or a .780+ OPS from him next year? really?

IMO, the best the Reds should hope for is he's mobile enough to help the next 3B (Francisco, Frazier or even Alonso).

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

funny. I was in the "The Reds overpaid for Rolen" camp. I'd even go so far as to say the Reds SHOULDN'T have traded for Rolen. He's 36, has a nice long injury history and though he's far and away the best defensive 3B I've seen in red in the last 20 years, his bat has vanished since the ASB of 2010. 8 mil for 65 games? And yet we don't hear the outrage like we did with Griffey. And is anyone really expecting 120+ games or a .780+ OPS from him next year? really?

IMO, the best the Reds should hope for is he's mobile enough to help the next 3B (Francisco, Frazier or even Alonso).

Sure we overpaid, but I wouldn't take back the trade, we don't win the division without Rolen last year.

And I'd take Leake over Stewart, we probbaly don't win the division without Leake either.

I wouldn't mind Stewart back though.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

We don't hear the outrage we did with Griffey for two main reasons:

* We knew we were getting Rolen near the end of his career. Griffey, on the other hand, was supposedly still in his prime (or at least barely removed from his prime) when the Reds traded for him.

* Rolen's contract doesn't even approach Griffey's. It doesn't completely prevent the club from making big moves in the offseason. (Walt still might do nothing, but at least he is not completely hamstrung by a bad contract.) And Rolen only has one more year on his deal. Once it was clear that Griffey was washed up, the Reds still had like 5 years left on his deal. And he was making a ton of money. Rolen's contract doesn't have nearly the negative affect on the franchise that Griffey's did.

Also, and this is JMO, I think a lot of fans believed Griffey was lazy. That's not the case with Rolen.

Sure am happy for Stewart, but I will be more interested to see how Stewart does his next time out and for next year too before passing too much judgement on this outing.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    We don't hear the outrage we did with Griffey for two main reasons:

* We knew we were getting Rolen near the end of his career. Griffey, on the other hand, was supposedly still in his prime (or at least barely removed from his prime) when the Reds traded for him.

* Rolen's contract doesn't even approach Griffey's. It doesn't completely prevent the club from making big moves in the offseason. (Walt still might do nothing, but at least he is not completely hamstrung by a bad contract.) And Rolen only has one more year on his deal. Once it was clear that Griffey was washed up, the Reds still had like 5 years left on his deal. And he was making a ton of money. Rolen's contract doesn't have nearly the negative affect on the franchise that Griffey's did.

Also, and this is JMO, I think a lot of fans believed Griffey was lazy. That's not the case with Rolen.
    I'd also add, that w/ Rolen, the Reds won the division and went to the playoffs last season. Winning covers a lot of sins, real or perceived. A vast majority of the teams that Griffey played on here, faded down the stretch and never saw a real penant chase in late august/september.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I'd also add, that w/ Rolen, the Reds won the division and went to the playoffs last season. Winning covers a lot of sins, real or perceived. A vast majority of the teams that Griffey played on here, faded down the stretch and never saw a real penant chase in late august/september.
    Yep. Because of lousy pitching.

www.baseballmusings.com

Stewart doesn’t strike me as a pitcher likely to throw a low-hitter in the majors. His minor league numbers are okay. Even with the one-hitter last night, the league is batting .291 against him. The Twins simply put a very bad lineup on the field, with seven of the nine starters now hitting .250 or less, two of them under .200. Stewart pitched a great game against a bad team, and he walks away with a start that might turn out to be the best of his career.

Stewart's game log

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/gamelo...9/zach-stewart

He's faced the Twins 3 times, got manhandled once and did very well twice. He's pitched well against DET, KC and BAL. Maybe that was his best game, but hell that's some HOF pitcher's best games too. And no, I'm NOT saying Zach Stewart is going the the HOF. Just stating that the post woy cited leaves a lot of room for performance variation. If that is his peak and he pitches say 85% as well as that over the course of his career, then that's a pretty good career.

To keep it somewhat in the Reds family, I think Stewart has more upside than Dustin Mosely
    Last edited by TRF; 09-06-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Turn Off Ads?