Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: The Milton Bradley Thread

Re: The Milton Bradley Thread

2 years and 20 million left on that contract? He can't stay healthy or happy.

The Reds would have to be nuts to take that on.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Mike Lincoln and Willy Taveras for Bradley and cash. He might be a first class pain in the butt but at least he produces.
    I'll buck the trend and agree, if the cash is big enough. The degree to which Taveras weakens the Cubs would be worth it in itself. So, he has
    s. If he produces, he helps the
    If his

cause too much

and
    well, that's
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    2 years and 20 million left on that contract? He can't stay healthy or happy.

The Reds would have to be nuts to take that on.
    The Reds should be considering any opportunity for arbitrage. I don't believe that his attitude makes other players play worse. And when he was healthy enough to play, he gave the Cubs 1.3 wins worth of production.

Lincoln & Taveras are $6.5M next year. Add in $1.5M in cash and that's 2 years for $12M net.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

The Reds should be considering any opportunity for arbitrage. I don't believe that his attitude makes other players play worse. And when he was healthy enough to play, he gave the Cubs 1.3 wins worth of production.

Lincoln & Taveras are $6.5M next year. Add in $1.5M in cash and that's 2 years for $12M net.
    I do actually believe there's a psychological affect on players that are in a bad environment. I know there are sports psychologists that feel that way.

But that point aside, Bradley is a loaded pistol. You can't have guys shooting off at his teammates, organization, coaches, etc. More importantly, you can't be in a season not knowing when he will take himself out of an important game.

I just think it's a real bad idea, especially with that salary. He'll be given an outright release this offseason when the Cubs can't unload him. If the Reds want to take a chance on him, they might be able to sign him to a minor league deal and see how he behaves. Then they can gauge the risk and whether it's worth it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

If the Reds go after Bradley, then they had to think that Dunn was doing Mike Vick type activities.

Senor Votto

This year the Cub fans will blame the season's failures on Bradley

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    This year the Cub fans will blame the season's failures on Bradley
    But of course they will

No way to know if you are right about this, but the Expos, Indians, Dodgers, A's, Rangers, and now Cubs all think otherwise.

Being suspended with just two weeks left in the season speaks volumes. Why ban him from the team if you don't think he is making other players play worse, or at least hurting your team's chances at winning?

If this was an isolated incident, maybe, but when 5 teams decide that no matter your production, the team is better off without you, it's hard to ignore that.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

It blows my mind that anyone would want this guy on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    No way to know if you are right about this, but the Expos, Indians, Dodgers, A's, Rangers, and now Cubs all think otherwise.

Being suspended with just two weeks left in the season speaks volumes. Why ban him from the team if you don't think he is making other players play worse, or at least hurting your team's chances at winning?

If this was an isolated incident, maybe, but when 5 teams decide that no matter your production, the team is better off without you, it's hard to ignore that.
    Because he's a headache you simply don't want to deal with any more and you have no shot at making the playoffs. I'm not saying I want him on the Reds per se', just that I'd rather have a crazy guy who produces than two sane ones who don't.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    It blows my mind that anyone would want this guy on the team.
    It happens. Just think, someone wanted Patterson, Tevaras, Nix, and McDonald on the Reds too.

Does Chicago have to pay this guy even if he doesn't play for them next year or will they try to ship his problems off to someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    It happens. Just think, someone wanted Patterson, Tevaras, Nix, and McDonald on the Reds too.

Does Chicago have to pay this guy even if he doesn't play for them next year or will they try to ship his problems off to someone else?
    Unless he's claimed off waivers or traded, they have to pay him regardless (with exception to if/when he's suspended for cause).
    Last edited by Brutus; 09-20-2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: edited for accuracy
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

At this point, how much of a chance is there of other teams just waiting for the Cubs to let him go? Their options would seem to be limited; there's no way he returns next year.

It'll be interesting to see who he ends up playing for in 2010.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Because he's a headache you simply don't want to deal with any more and you have no shot at making the playoffs. I'm not saying I want him on the Reds per se', just that I'd rather have a crazy guy who produces than two sane ones who don't.
    I think Ochocinco is a bit crazy. I think Milton Bradley might be certifiably insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Unless he's claimed off waivers or traded, they have to pay him regardless (with exception to if/when he's suspended for cause).
    Thanks for answering that. Seems like a tough mess at first glance. I guess the parties will work out something.

Turn Off Ads?