Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

“I’m not comfortable there yet,” he said. “At the major league level, I played 99 percent of my games in right field. I’ll try. I’ll work on it this spring training. We’ll see how they’re thinking. If they’re not (happy), somebody else will be playing in center field.

“I’ll try the best I can.”

Choo knows there are doubters.

“A lot of people think I can’t play there,” he said.

I think Sheldon posted this originally.

http://redlegnation.com/2013/02/11/s...ading-into-st/

-Matt

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

He doesn't sound confident at all in playing center. I see a 95% chance of Bruce playing there on opening day. He's no Stubbs as far as covering ground, but he's also not afraid of crashing into the wall. I think Bruce will be average, Choo would be below average.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I wonder if there were some translation issues in that interview. If what he meant what was quoted, I am starting to wonder about his heart. I would imagine Walt and Dusty told him since the day of the trade to do all he can to prepare to be our Opening Day centerfielder. Those quotes make it sound like he is apathetic for what is best for the team.

The unfamiliarity with CF and crashing into the wall is exactly what Reds fans need to fear if Jay Bruce ends up playing CF. He's a long term investment for this franchise. Choo is not, at this point. I hope Bruce is not in CF this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I wonder if there were some translation issues in that interview. If what he meant what was quoted, I am starting to wonder about his heart. I would imagine Walt and Dusty told him since the day of the trade to do all he can to prepare to be our Opening Day centerfielder. Those quotes make it sound like he is apathetic for what is best for the team.
    He's being honest -- he's not comfortable there yet. He said he was going to try his best. Why does that make you question his heart?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

7. Likes:

Brisco (02-12-2013),toledodan (02-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    He's being honest -- he's not comfortable there yet. He said he was going to try his best. Why does that make you question his heart?
    I just feel he should do all he can to make it happen. He almost seems defeated before he starts. "If they’re not (happy), somebody else will be playing in center field." That doesn't seem like he has his heart in it and is very confident that it will get done. I do question if this perception could be caused by translation issues. I would just expect more of a quote of, "I have played 99% of my major league games in right, but I have been working every day in centerfield since the trade and I have seen good progress. I expect to get to the level my coaches are comfortable with by the end of spring training and I can't wait to play in centerfield on Opening Day."

9. Likes:

jmac (02-11-2013)

I just feel he should do all he can to make it happen. He almost seems defeated before he starts. "If they’re not (happy), somebody else will be playing in center field." That doesn't seem like he has his heart in it and is very confident that it will get done. I do question if this perception could be caused by translation issues. I would just expect more of a quote of, "I have played 99% of my major league games in right, but I have been working every day in centerfield since the trade and I have seen good progress. I expect to get to the level my coaches are comfortable with by the end of spring training and I can't wait to play in centerfield on Opening Day."
    Maybe he hasn't received this year's approved book of cliches'.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I see nothing wrong with the guy being honest about playing CF. He basically said he'd do his best but wasn't comfortable at this time.

Nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post

They are cliches for a reason. Those are things he should be doing to improve his game, to best fit this team. Just passively hoping that he will be good enough to play center or if not that the coaches will move him to a corner, just isn't good enough for me.

Although I see nothing wrong with Choo's comments as translated, I'm sure there are nuances lost in translation.

He very may well have said something like "I'll bust my butt in spring training, I'll give it all I've got, and the only way I'll quit is if they yank me."

Choo has a reputation of being a gamer, so I think it's premature to question his attituted based on a few translated quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    Although I see nothing wrong with Choo's comments as translated, I'm sure there are nuances lost in translation.

He very may well have said something like "I'll bust my butt in spring training, I'll give it all I've got, and the only way I'll quit is if they yank me."

Choo has a reputation of being a gamer, so I think it's premature to question his attituted based on a few translated quotes.
    That is why in my initial post I said I hope it is due to translation issues. The words at face value aren't exactly what I want to see from one of the most pivotal players on this team.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Could be worse. He could have refused to move like another player on our team once did.

17. Likes:

Tommyjohn25 (02-11-2013),Unassisted (02-11-2013),wheels (02-11-2013)

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

If he keeps our expectations low, it will be easier to exceed them. Of course, keeping expectations low would also be a dubious choice on the eve of an arbitration hearing!
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Could be worse. He could have refused to move like another player on our team once did.
    No doubt. These quotes just crushed a little of my optimism that Choo will be an average defensive centerfielder by Opening Day.

Turn Off Ads?