Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Very encouraging signs

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Very encouraging signs

Although I was disappointed in the pitching we saw from Leake in the series opener, I went into this Philly trip thinking our Redlegs were going to be overmatched by Halladay, Lee, Hamels, etc. I know the first two aren't having their Cy Young type of seasons, but they're still outstanding MLB starters with great stuff. To put 5 runs up against each of them is extremely encouraging to me, not only for this series, but looking forward to the playoffs when the Redlegs will see this type of pitching.

To be doing this without Votto just boggles the mind.

It will be interesting to see if they can connect against Hamels, too.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Very encouraging signs

I agree...I've sort of been waiting for the post-Votto-injury Reds to come back to earth.

- The Brewers series felt like we were going to go back to scoring 1-2 runs a game.
    - Playing the Phillies..wondered if we could hang with 3 of their big arms pitching

But each time, a Frazier, Ludwick, Phillips..really steps up huge and those three have been consistent. Occasionally Rolen, seemed like Stubbs won 2-3 games in Houston for us, Cozart last night, Bruce has been hot the past week, etc..

This team feels like it truly does belong and when Votto gets back...you feel like we'll be the dominate team to win it all..and not just happy to be in playoffs via 2 years ago.

I love the fight that this team has

Is anyone else having a hard time imagining what they'll look like once Joey actually is back?

How could can this team at full strength be?

Team defense needs to be improved tho. The team has piled on alot of errors lately

Pitching. Pitching. Pitching.

That being said. It's clear that if in the playoffs they throw Cueto/Latos at home and Bailey/Arroyo on the road right? Or am I off base?

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maker_84 View Post
    Team defense needs to be improved tho. The team has piled on alot of errors lately
    Chalk it up to maybe fatigue, dog days of Summer?
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by jfleur87 View Post
    Pitching. Pitching. Pitching.

That being said. It's clear that if in the playoffs they throw Cueto/Latos at home and Bailey/Arroyo on the road right? Or am I off base?
    Off base. Our first two division series games will be on the road - there's no way we're going to wait until Game 3 to use our two best pitchers.

I would expect to see it go Cueto, Lato, Arroyo, Bailey and then Cueto again if necessary, though I guess I could see Cueto in Game 1 and Latos in Game 3. That would still guarantee that Latos is able to pitch in Game 1 of the NLCS should we advance via a fifth game with Cueto on the mound.
    Last edited by Biff Pocoroba; 08-23-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Its morning and after a looooong night with my 10 week old my brain isn't working yet, so sorry if I am missing the obvious, but why do you think we will be on the road to start series?
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Its morning and after a looooong night with my 10 week old my brain isn't working yet, so sorry if I am missing the obvious, but why do you think we will be on the road to start series?

For this year only, the team with the better record will play the first two games of divisional round on the road, followed by three games (if necessary) at home to conclude the series. This was a result of the agreement on the format coming too late to alter the regular season schedule, which in turn required them to have games 3-5 played on three consecutive days.

The NLCS will be 2-3-2. The bad news is that we'd start the playoffs on the road - but the good news is that we'd have a long stretch at home (up to five straight games) should we advance.

Other than Washington I'm okay with going to another team's field for the first two games. Them and any West Coast team. Oh god. That narrows it down a little bit.

It could still go the other way with a team rolling into Cincy for the first two.

I just want to say it's really nice to be discussing the playoff starting rotation when it's only August 23! Who would have thought we'd have an 8 game lead at this point with Votto on the shelf? No one.

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Pocoroba View Post
    For this year only, the team with the better record will play the first two games of divisional round on the road, followed by three games (if necessary) at home to conclude the series. This was a result of the agreement on the format coming too late to alter the regular season schedule, which in turn required them to have games 3-5 played on three consecutive days.

The NLCS will be 2-3-2. The bad news is that we'd start the playoffs on the road - but the good news is that we'd have a long stretch at home (up to five straight games) should we advance.
    Good to know, thanks for the info!
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Turn Off Ads?