Turn Off Ads?

Thread: ADVICE: Lawn Care Service (Columbus)

ADVICE: Lawn Care Service (Columbus)

I am looking for some suggestions on a good lawn care service here in Columbus. I have some type of purply flower that is taking over my front lawn and the regular weed fertilizer doesn't do a thing to it.

I would just call ChemLawn or Scott's but I'm afraid of being ripped off by them. I do not know very much about lawn care so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ADVICE: Lawn Care Service (Columbus)

Ok, first off let me start by saying I am a former Scotts employee. Next, DO NOT use Scotts. Or anyone for that matter. They are a rip off, for the most part. If you have the time, everything can be done by you. Those purpley flowers are wild violets and regular weed products will not do the trick. You need a specialty product. Look for a product called Ester or Horsepower. They are both designed to kill violets but not your lawn. I'm not sure if they sell those to the consumer under that name, but I'm sure if you go to your local home and garden store and tell them what you need to kill they can help you. If you have any other questions, let me know

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    I am looking for some suggestions on a good lawn care service here in Columbus. I have some type of purply flower that is taking over my front lawn and the regular weed fertilizer doesn't do a thing to it.

I would just call ChemLawn or Scott's but I'm afraid of being ripped off by them. I do not know very much about lawn care so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Sounds like a question for SunDeck.

Are the purply flowers "Creeping Charlie"?
    http://dnr.wi.gov/invasives/photos/i...il&Code=Glehed

If so, try Weed-B-Gon Max or Weed-B-Gon Chickweed (this one works for me).
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I'll second Johnny on this one.

We had a purple-flowered weed eating up our yard. It was a stubborn little thing, even finding root in Bermuda Grass. After doing some research I found out it was Creeping Charlie. I used Weed-B-Gon Max and it wiped it out.

I might have the same thing in my yard (Creeping Charlie). Does it tend to die back on it's own as the summer progresses, but then return again in the Spring?

The weed I have that's currently taking over my yard is similar to what was described. It's a bright blueish-purple in the spring but it seems to change color as the weather gets warmer. The flowers die off, but the weed still remains into July or so and then the weed seems to die back in August when it's really hot out. Don't see it again until early spring the next year.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Does it grow upwards in little stalks like? Or is it more like the pic Johnny posted?

Quote Originally Posted by mole44 View Post
    Does it grow upwards in little stalks like? Or is it more like the pic Johnny posted?
    The weed I have stays low to the ground, it doesn't grow upwards at all.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Thats weird if its ground ivy, it shouldn't be flowering yet

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Sounds like a question for SunDeck.

Are the purply flowers "Creeping Charlie"?
    http://dnr.wi.gov/invasives/photos/i...il&Code=Glehed

If so, try Weed-B-Gon Max or Weed-B-Gon Chickweed (this one works for me).
    I just went and pulled some up from my lawn and this is what I have. Creeping Charlie it is. Now, is the Weed-B-Gon that you suggested a spray or a spreadable pellet type thing? I ask because this damn weed has taken over a large chunk of my front lawn and to spray it evenly probably wouldn't be real easy.

Thanks for the help and I'll keep checking back for more suggestions and thoughts.

Also, I thought I'd just throw this out. This website has become such a great place to get info and thoughts from so many different types of people and on so many different topics. And on top of that it's easily the best place for Reds discussion. Well done Redszone.

Worth The Wait

BTW, if anyone has any sprinkler/irrigation questions....I'm your man

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    I just went and pulled some up from my lawn and this is what I have. Creeping Charlie it is. Now, is the Weed-B-Gon that you suggested a spray or a spreadable pellet type thing? I ask because this damn weed has taken over a large chunk of my front lawn and to spray it evenly probably wouldn't be real easy.

Thanks for the help and I'll keep checking back for more suggestions and thoughts.
    You can get it in liquid form in any discount store's lawn & garden department. I think it's under $10.

http://www.ortho.com/index.cfm/event...ce73345d0d74a0

Be sure to read the directions and make sure it works for your grass type.

I use a $10 Ortho Dial N Spray to apply it.

http://www.ortho.com/index.cfm/event...dc1b9e16bf9c06

You can spray it in spots if you like. I just spray it evenly over my whole lawn, and maybe spend a couple of extra seconds on the areas that are heavily infested.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

We these bad boys growing in our yard. Grape hyacinth.

We have some that were intentionally planed in our flower beds, but chipmunks dig up the bulbs and bury them in the yard.

I've been thinking about a lawn service too. Our grass in our front yard is dying and being replaced by crabgrass and a plant with "shamrock" leaves and yellow flowers I think is called wood sorrel. And of course there are the ever present dandelions. Here's a question, would such a service be able to take care of ants? We've had problems with ants building large mounds in our yard and they seem to like to come foraging into the house. Somehow they've figured out how to get in through a vent in the roof and always come into our bathroom. We're having tree branches trimmed back, so that should help.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

We use Scott's lawn service. I've been pretty happy with them.

I know I can do it cheaper myself and did so for a long time. But I always forgot when to put stuff on, when I did remember it rained or I didn't have time, and I finally said the heck with it. I'll pay the extra bucks to have somebody come do it for me.

Because of my Wild Oats organic-nut daughter, we're trying Scott's organic fertilizer this year.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

We also use Scott's lawn care and have been very happy. I hate yard work!

Turn Off Ads?