Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ian Snell

Ian Snell

What do you think of the Reds acquiring Ian Snell from the Pirates?

At this point, Snell has certainly had his share of problems with control. But the guy is very capable of missing bats. Since being demoted, he's been dominant in AAA. I think a change of scenery would do him much good.

And let's face it, the Pirates won't bring him back up because of his comments about not wanting to be back. Given the Pirates' recent trades, I would think Snell could be had for a bag of balls.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ian Snell

If we get him for nothing, I say go for it. If the Pirates want actual talent then no way.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    If we get him for nothing, I say go for it. If the Pirates want actual talent then no way.
    Oh I agree with this completely. I am not advocating giving up any value for him. But if the Reds could get him for peanuts, then I'm mildly intrigued.

The Pirates did not do themselves justice by publicly saying they won't bring him back up. They probably killed any remaining leverage they had with that.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

If the Reds bring in Snell, they better have the type of support system that they had for Josh Hamilton.

Allegedly, he's contemplated suicide this year:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31674893/ns

In 2002 he was suspended for beating up a member of the Pirates minor league coaching staff.

He has baggage and the Pirates have done a horrible job of dealing with it. Their GM has eviscerated Snell's value with his disparagement.

If the Reds can take advantage of his reduced trade value and support him the way Narron et. al. supported Hamilton, then I'm all for it.

His AAA stats this year (0.96 ERA, 47 strikeouts in 37.1 innings) and major league stats in '07 make it abundantly clear that the only thing preventing him from being a major league all star are between his ears.
    Last edited by cincinnati chili; 07-26-2009 at 11:13 PM.
    Stick to your guns.

I'd be willing to give up something more than filler for him. It's impossible to comment on his particular problems, but I really like his upside.... reminds me a lot of Cueto. Sounds like he needs a change of scenery really bad, and I'd be more than willing to accomodate that, even if it meant giving the Pirates a little something that they want.

How about Taveras for Snell, with the Reds paying the extra cash? Snell as fifth starter gamble is okay, assuming you have nothing else. I might even throw in Maloney. (And I think Maloney would be enough for that deal.)

I'd like to have Snell. I'm sure the Pirates would respond to SI's deal by saying they'll take Maloney and let us keep Taveras.

The Reds could probably have Snell by giving up a token body for the priviledge of paying Snell.

They should probably give it a whirl.

The Pirates really don't have a need for Taveras. They might want to get in on the Wlad B. "sweepstakes" though. Wlad for Snell and a little cash would make some sense for both the Ms and the Pirates.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I have to agree with what HokieRed said SI, they may have interest in Maloney but Taveras would just be a throw in. Nothing more. Unfortunately what Jojo said is possible which is kinda sad since I don't think either the Bucs or the M's would know what to do with those players.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I have to agree with what HokieRed said SI, they may have interest in Maloney but Taveras would just be a throw in. Nothing more. Unfortunately what Jojo said is possible which is kinda sad since I don't think either the Bucs or the M's would know what to do with those players.
    It actually makes too much sense for them to pull off

I think Snell could succeed for a team with an excellent coaching staff. He has the talent. He just needs someone to correct his mechanics, teach him how to pitch instead of throw, and straighten his attitude. I imagine he would thrive in St. Louis but would fail in Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I think Snell could succeed for a team with an excellent coaching staff. He has the talent. He just needs someone to correct his mechanics, teach him how to pitch instead of throw, and straighten his attitude. I imagine he would thrive in St. Louis but would fail in Cincinnati.
    As much as I loathe the attention Dave Duncan gets, he does seem to have the Midas touch with pitchers that are in need of resurrecting.

Maybe he's another Greinke or maybe more of a #2/#3. Regardless, it seems that it's just a matter of time until he gets a change of scenery and another chance to prove he belongs.

Btw, the link that cincinnati chili supplied included this exchange that just cracked me up:
    "Well, since we never played baseball, maybe you can explain it to us, pal?" a reporter asked.

"I'm just going to get my thoughts together, pal," Snell replied. "You know? I'm not your pal."
    Hopefully he does get his thoughts together.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The Reds could probably have Snell by giving up a token body for the priviledge of paying Snell.

They should probably give it a whirl.
    I originally thought the same thing, but this article suggests that the Pirates have been inundated with lowball offers for Snell, so I would imagine that it will take more than a token body for the Pirates to give him to another team in its division.

http://www.piratesreport.com/page/bl...ain-price.html
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?