Turn Off Ads?
Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849 LastLast

Thread: Official 2009 MLB draft thread (day one)

Re: Official 2009 MLB draft thread (day one)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I don't mind at all if the Reds passed on Scheppers for health or talent reasons. I do mind if it was all about the $$
    Do you live in a world where "the $$" don't matter? If so, can you buy the Reds?

I'm particularly baffled as to how someone can suggest that the Reds are scrimping on acquiring young talent. I've got Duran, Rodrigues, Sulbaran and Fairel that say that the Reds are boxing above their weight in terms of spending on new talent. What have you got?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just a question since I didn't really pay attention to this stuff when Uncle Carl was around: Did he ever spend much money on Latin players or guys who were asking for me money?

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    A question for OBM or Doug or the other knowledgable posters on this board.

What makes Boxburger so much different from Alex White? I understand that the Reds' "reached" on him, but Boxburger seems to have similar stuff to White and they had similar numbers in similar conferences. What makes Boxburger such a bad pick? His stuff seems good at first glance and he does seem like he is healthy and will be another fast riser to arrive during this window to compete (2010-2012). Can I know what makes him so bad other than being a bit of a reach?
    I do think that Buckley puts great emphasis on who's going to stay healthy

Quote Originally Posted by backbencher View Post
    Do you live in a world where "the $$" don't matter? If so, can you buy the Reds?

I'm particularly baffled as to how someone can suggest that the Reds are scrimping on acquiring young talent. I've got Duran, Rodrigues, Sulbaran and Fairel that say that the Reds are boxing above their weight in terms of spending on new talent. What have you got?
    And I think Alonso should be used as evidence as well. This was a top talent with big bonus rumors and they still took him. Prior drafts (even under the same ownership) would have probably moved on to other guys. I viewed both Stubbs and Mesoraco as being easier signs.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Just a question since I didn't really pay attention to this stuff when Uncle Carl was around: Did he ever spend much money on Latin players or guys who were asking for me money?
    in an organization known for its misers, Carl might have been the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    I do think that Buckley puts great emphasis on who's going to stay healthy
    Which may explain the Scheppers snub. This organization has had trouble with keeping healthy draftees on the field. I don't want to see what would happen if they drafted someone with injury concerns already.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    At a minimum, the overwhelming majority of us are not professional scouts on here and are, for the most part, just reading what other services seem to think about these guys.

Boxberger is a talented pitcher. Even Keith Law had him ranked higher than Andy Oliver, one of this year's draft darlings. He is ranked as a top 50 or 60 guy by many publications, so by no means is this a throw-away pick. I think the biggest issue that some people have is that they could have possibly gotten him in the 2nd or 3rd and taken a higher ranked guy with that pick.
    Thanks, edabbs. So I guess as we track Leake's career against White, Crow and Matzek, we will have to track Boxberger against Oliver and Scheppers?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Nope, of all the posts here, your post is actually most off the mark. The slotting system you speak of exists in baseball where it is actually published by the Commissioner's Office.
    The MLB slotting systsem is a joke. It acts as nothing more than a guideline or "suggestion." Maybe you haven't been paying attention the last 10 years, but good propsects fall every year because of demands, and many of them get their contracts (ie. Betances, Porcello, Walden, etc.)

There is no league-endorsed system in football. Many times guys who slide in the football draft end up demanding higher bonuses than other guys selected around them (see Brady Quinn as an example.)
    This is somewhat true in the first round, where there is a bit of flexibility, but completely errant thereafter. In the 2nd round, Malauga is going to get roughly the amount of money between the guy that went before him, and the guy that went after him. That's how the system works, there is very thin negotiating room where he falls. The Bengals wont have to open the pocketbooks like the Reds would have for Scheppers, who make no mistake, will be paid like a 1st rounder, considerably more than his peers that went around him.

The Rangers (who picked one pick after the Reds) didn't seem to think Scheppers wasn't worth the selection.
    Every team has a budget. I'm not saying this is true or anything, but the Reds might be planning on spending money in other areas as Buckley has alluded to (and did so last year), and they may have felt that the money that could go to Scheppers could be better spent in other areas. Texas obviously liked him enough to make the pick. But basically every team wasn't ready to do the same thing.

Crying poor here is a farce
    Which I of course didn't do. All I suggested was that every team outside of Texas skipped over Scheppers despite him likely being the top guy on their board. There is a reason for that, and the Reds are just one of many teams who didn't want to pony up the money for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Thanks, edabbs. So I guess as we track Leake's career against White, Crow and Matzek, we will have to track Boxberger against Oliver and Scheppers?
    Probably fair for White or Oliver, though for guys like Crow, Matzek and Scheppers there are other circumstances to consider.

For example, if you took $1000 and put it in your child's college fund and I went and bought $1000 worth of lottery tickets and I hit for $1MM, would I be viewed as making the smart decision?

Matzek (bonus demands), Crow (bonus demands) and Scheppers (bonus demands / shoulder issues) all have other factors to consider. If Cincy took Matzek and he said "I want Porcello money or I am going to college", what would we want them to do? Give the guy $8MM? Then, if he blows out his arm or flops, the decision looks 50 times worse.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Which may explain the Scheppers snub. This organization has had trouble with keeping healthy draftees on the field. I don't want to see what would happen if they drafted someone with injury concerns already.

I can't think of a guy that Buckley has drafted high in spite of injury concerns. They re-signed a guy in Latin America this year after a medical issue, and decreased his bonus.

out of the last three drafts, Lotzkar and Travis Webb are the only arm injuries among top 10 picks that I can remember. we used to lose five arms in every top 10.

I think people are glossing over the facts if they bring up frugality in this draft. I think the Reds are looking at Leake as a great option that will sign at slot. Now they can go and spread the money around later in the draft like they did last year. That's smart business and a way to get a depleted system stocked fast.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I think people are glossing over the facts if they bring up frugality in this draft. I think the Reds are looking at Leake as a great option that will sign at slot. Now they can go and spread the money around later in the draft like they did last year. That's smart business and a way to get a depleted system stocked fast.
    Exactly. A few Sulburan/Fariel type picks later in the draft probably won't be noticed by the guys screaming CHEAP.

A few thoughts:

Whoever made the Rey Maualuga comparison earlier in this thread was right on the money. If you have a first round pitcher who falls into the second round who has high upside, you take him. It's pretty sad when I look at this draft compared to the Bengals and realize that Mike Brown actually gets it compared to Castellini.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Leake selection. My biggest concern with him is his size, but that has worked out well in the past. Ask Tim Lincecum or Tim Hudson. I would have been sorely disappointed with Mike Minor if he would have been there.

If I had to do the draft over again, I would have taken Crow, Scheppers, and Oliver and if none of them signed, then take the compensation picks and have an abundance in next years draft.

This draft has really made me look at baseball compared to other sports in regard to the draft. This is a dead argument, but I would like to see MLB slot the amount of money that picks can receive. Pitchers such as Strasburg could be "Mr. Irrelevant" in the draft and still receive the contracts that they originally sought after, whereas falling in the NFL draft would cost you millions.

End of rant.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by SoTxRedsFan View Post
    Exactly. A few Sulburan/Fariel type picks later in the draft probably won't be noticed by the guys screaming CHEAP.
    it'll certainly be interesting to learn how much cash the Reds spend the year after their Latin orgy of 2008 and the Great Recession of 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    If a reliever you draft washes out, he might have a future selling insurance.
    Sometimes a failed reliever turns out to be Braden Looper. You never know.

I do like the emphasis on sinker ball pitchers. Masset is the only sinkerball pitcher on this roster today and that's not right.

Turn Off Ads?