Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Posey, Cabrera MVPs

Re: Posey, Cabrera MVPs

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    you forgot about defense and base running.
    It still doesn't over come the fact Cabrera was the best offensive player in baseball by a wide gap for 161 games and not 139. If he had those extra games to close the offensive gaps he would have had a legit shot but it was the difference in the race that wasn't even close as he was closer to 3rd than he was 1st.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Trout WAR - 10.0
    Cabera WAR - 7.1

I'd say he more than made up that gap. And he is so much younger. That seemed really important to you in the ROY race. Don't tell me you are discounting it now.

Triple Crown is said to be overrated and WAR is trotted out as the end-all-be-all of a player's value. Hometown broke it down pretty explicitly I thought in regards to stats.

Trout is a undeniably a Super Stud and more fun to watch, but Miggy was the man this year.

I'm not usually one to discount numbers due to PEDs but I think it's legitimate rebuttal to the "timing" and "better TC numbers have been put up" argument. Of course bigger numbers have been put up, the game is changing back to baseball from Gorilla Ball.

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Triple Crown is said to be overrated and WAR is trotted out as the end-all-be-all of a player's value. Hometown broke it down pretty explicitly I thought in regards to stats.

Trout is a undeniably a Super Stud and more fun to watch, but Miggy was the man this year.

I'm not usually one to discount numbers due to PEDs but I think it's legitimate rebuttal to the "timing" and "better TC numbers have been put up" argument. Of course bigger numbers have been put up, the game is changing back to baseball from Gorilla Ball.
    He broke down one half of the game. Defense and base running count. Trout was the better player.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    He broke down one half of the game. Defense and base running count. Trout was the better player.
    Its the half that wins MVPs! Defense and base running count very little! If those things mattered pitchers would never win the MVP. but when they dominate the game with their arms like Miguel Cabrera did with the bat they win them.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Trout WAR - 10.0
    Cabera WAR - 7.1

I'd say he more than made up that gap. And he is so much younger. That seemed really important to you in the ROY race. Don't tell me you are discounting it now.
    WAR doesn't translate well to MVP unless you blow the league away like Bonds and A-Rod did, if WAR did matter Votto wouldn't be the MVP and about half of the MVP's of the last decade would be different and Pujols would be an even bigger legend.

The Tigers making the playoffs with a worse record than the Angels in worse division hold more water than WAR does in MVP talk. Age doesn't factor in when this is such a big counting stat award and Trout had less time to add to his numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    I don't care much for arguing awards, all politics. And maybe I'm reading you wrong, but you seriously don't think BP's season was worth 2 6th place votes? Wow.

Would agree re Bruce.
    No you're reading it correctly. No way he deserved top 6 votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    No you're reading it correctly. No way he deserved top 6 votes.

Played hard all year often despite not being 100% all of the time, batted in whatever place in the order the team needed him in, played spectacular defense, significantly elevated his game when Votto went down- can't begrudge him a couple of 6th place votes.

"Best player" and "most valuable player" are synonymous. There's no better way to add value to your team than by being the best player in the league.

Trout was the best player in the league. I don't understand what possible argument people could make otherwise.

Cabrera won because of a statistical coincidence. If Josh Hamilton hits 2 more homeruns or Trout bats .005 better, Cabrera loses the Triple Crown and the MVP. It's kinda a joke.

As far as the AL MVP is concerned, I'll just say that I would have gone Trout hands down, but Cabrera still had a great year.

With regards to the NL MVP, Posey was a good choice. He is one of a few who had a good shot at it. McCutchen had a great year, but he cooled off down the stretch (as did the Pirates). Braun was the best offensive performer in the NL (imo), but he plays a lesser position. Votto would have ran away with it had he not gotten hurt, but he did. Probably should have finished higher than he did but oh well. Just my $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Played hard all year often despite not being 100% all of the time, batted in whatever place in the order the team needed him in, played spectacular defense, significantly elevated his game when Votto went down- can't begrudge him a couple of 6th place votes.
    No...I can't.

Turn Off Ads?