Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hurricane Irene

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Re: Hurricane Irene

Judging by the radar projections, it should be going crazy here in central jersey around 2 or 3 AM. I kind of want to stay up for it, but I realistically see myself passing out well before that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

No big deal for Brooklyn. Couple trees down, windy and rainy overnight. We've already returned home.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Judging by the radar projections, it should be going crazy here in central jersey around 2 or 3 AM. I kind of want to stay up for it, but I realistically see myself passing out well before that.
    Hurricane Fran hit Raleigh in 1996, waking me at about 1am and I am still awe struck by the experience. It seemed like every time I thought it couldn't get louder, the sound ticked up a notch. But what I remember most is the sound of transformers exploding all over the neighborhood for about an hour until all the power was out.

Best wishes to all who are or were in Irene's path.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

http://twitter.com/#!/fivethirtyeigh...46531306487808

Per my research, which I'll be writing up later, Irene received only the 13th most media coverage among Atlantic hurricanes since 1980.
    From Nate Silver of 538.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

We lost power around 8:45 Sat. night, and it was back on by 3:00 PM Sunday. Only minor debris in our neighborhood. Parts of central VA were actually hit harder than we were. Just the luck of the draw.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Just a good hard rainstorm for us in Northern Virginia. Wind was not excessive and we never lost power. We were fortunate in that respect. Yesterday turned out to be a beautiful day with an oceanlike breeze all day. I was even able to get out and mow my yard late in the afternoon.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

It sounds like Vermont and Connecticut got the worst of it, rivers flooding did a lot of the damage.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Is it better to be overly cautious or not cautious enough and a bunch of people stayed put and Irene became that Cat 4 the computers predicted, with a larger death toll because people didn't get out of the way?
    The problem is that there's a fine line between being overly-cautious and sensationalism. The coverage of Irene was more of the latter than the former.

While being cautious is undoubtedly a good thing, crossing this fine line can impede future warning efforts. It's like the parable of the boy who cried wolf. If a hurricane is overhyped too much, then people see how much it doesn't live up to its hype, the real one might come along one day and people won't listen to the warnings because of all the others that were sensationalized.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    We lost power around 8:45 Sat. night, and it was back on by 3:00 PM Sunday. Only minor debris in our neighborhood. Parts of central VA were actually hit harder than we were. Just the luck of the draw.
    Losing power is the usually the worst thing about these storms, unless you are terribly unlucky.

What I like to do when one is coming is to book a hotel room somewhere, like Orlando. If the storm comes, shutter up and flee. If not, cancel reservation. You can outrun a hurricane.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    The problem is that there's a fine line between being overly-cautious and sensationalism. The coverage of Irene was more of the latter than the former.

While being cautious is undoubtedly a good thing, crossing this fine line can impede future warning efforts. It's like the parable of the boy who cried wolf. If a hurricane is overhyped too much, then people see how much it doesn't live up to its hype, the real one might come along one day and people won't listen to the warnings because of all the others that were sensationalized.
    Evacuation is not a riskless proposition, especially when dealing with the sick and elderly.
    Sure, its no problem getting an able-bodied person out of Brooklyn. An ICU patient is a different thing altogether.
    Erring too far on the side of caution can be that...an error.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Evacuation is not a riskless proposition, especially when dealing with the sick and elderly.
    Sure, its no problem getting an able-bodied person out of Brooklyn. An ICU patient is a different thing altogether.
    Erring too far on the side of caution can be that...an error.
    But isn't that taken care of with proper planning? The positive thing about hurricanes is that you can see them coming for a few days out and can get resources for those who will have difficulties moving out. It also allows medical resources like hospitals prepared so that people who can't move out are also safe.

Irene seemed like it was almost a week in the making, so when they decided to evacuate, they should have had everything lined up.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Actually, everyone and every business should have a plan for disasters of all kinds.

I don't think calling for the evacuation of lower Manhattan was out of line. Most people could just go stay with friends who don't live in evacuation zones. I think medical facilities in these areas should have vertical evacuation plans and strong back up power options.

Vermont and upstate NY beg to differ on the assumpition that this was overhyped

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The flooding is always overlooked. The wind aspect is what gets the media attention and coastal areas get the monitoring.
    These darn things can pack tons of water and are looking to drop it somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Plenty of places in Jersey as well

Turn Off Ads?