Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter Greene

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Hunter Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Wouldn't it be more illuminating to see spin rates for pitches that are designed to spin by nature?
    Spin on all pitches is important. How the pitch spins dictates what it's doing to deceive the hitters eyes and expectations versus reality. With that said, I'd have loved to have seen what the spin rate was on the slider and curve.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Spin on all pitches is important. How the pitch spins dictates what it's doing to deceive the hitters eyes and expectations versus reality. With that said, I'd have loved to have seen what the spin rate was on the slider and curve.
    Maybe a dumb comment, but why don't expectations adjust to reality in this case? If a fastball always moves the same way, why isn't that a fairly simple adjustment for a hitter to make?

Quote Originally Posted by RustyJ View Post
    Maybe a dumb comment, but why don't expectations adjust to reality in this case? If a fastball always moves the same way, why isn't that a fairly simple adjustment for a hitter to make?
    Because not every fastball moves in the same way. Even from the same guy. But, you're kind of on the right path, too. We see it all of the time, and it's why the bullpen has become more utilized than ever: Hitters do adjust and that's why each time they see that pitcher again within that specific game, they tend to perform better. Most pitchers these days aren't getting through the lineup for a third time.

Guys like Mariano Rivera and Jamie Moyer threw (2 seam) fastballs that moved in different directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Guys like Mariano Rivera and Jamie Moyer threw (2 seam) fastballs that moved in different directions.
    Jamie Moyer did not throw a fastball

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Jamie Moyer did not throw a fastball
    Well it wasn't fast but yes, he did ride two very good 2 seam FBs to a long career

8. Likes:

Hoosier Red (10-04-2017),REDREAD (10-02-2017)

Trying not to be that guy

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/hunt...tional-league/

The headliner was Hunter Greene, who sat 99-101 with a fastball spinning at a rate between 2200 and 2300 over two innings.
    Reds third-rounder Jacob Heatherly sat 90-92 and commanded that pitch as well as his average curveball and changeup
    Hit the link for video of Greene and Heatherly

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-04-2017),RED VAN HOT (10-04-2017)

It sounds as if Greene has a fair amount of work ahead of him, but then, he has not pitched that much in the past 6 months and a 100 MPH fastball goes a long way in HS. It will be interesting to see how much he progresses before seeing game action at Billings (likely) next year.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (10-04-2017)

I bet he starts in Dayton.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I’m out of my league here (no pun intended) but a raw and young guy like Greene doesn’t seem like a guy you just plop down at Dayton. Maybe after some extra instructional work or extended spring training (or something of that effect).

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I hope you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I’m out of my league here (no pun intended) but a raw and young guy like Greene doesn’t seem like a guy you just plop down at Dayton. Maybe after some extra instructional work or extended spring training (or something of that effect).
    I think you're both right. I believe he'll begin 2018 in extended spring training so they can limit his innings/workload. But, I also believe that he'll throw his first true pitch of the season in Dayton at some point in May.

17. Likes:

corkedbat (10-07-2017),kaldaniels (10-07-2017),reds44 (10-08-2017)

19. Likes:

AlaskaReds (10-08-2017),cincyinco (10-09-2017),Edd Roush (10-07-2017),Griffey012 (10-09-2017),mace (10-07-2017),membengal (10-08-2017),Number_Fourteen (10-15-2017),OnBaseMachine (10-08-2017),RED VAN HOT (10-07-2017),REDREAD (10-09-2017),Tom Servo (10-08-2017),WrongVerb (10-08-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think you're both right. I believe he'll begin 2018 in extended spring training so they can limit his innings/workload. But, I also believe that he'll throw his first true pitch of the season in Dayton at some point in May.
    Sounds like a good plan.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    I get the feeling that isn't the last time Greene and Pratto will face each other.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?