Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Griffey breaks leg--per the Onion

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Griffey breaks leg--per the Onion

Sorry if this has been posted before but I came across this today on the Onion sports site

CINCINNATI—Although Ken Griffey Jr. had nearly recovered from a broken hand sustained while playing with his children in December, his rehabilitation came to a sudden halt yesterday when a gentle 2 mph breeze wafted across his leg, shattering his femur in three places. "I knew it was broken right when that breeze hit me," said Griffey, who was walking from his sports therapist's office to his car in order to drive to his daughter's piano recital at the time of the injury. "These things just happen. If I would have known a breeze like that was coming, I never would have left the house." Reds manager Jerry Narron has stated that, upon Griffey's return to the Reds, he will be fitted with a personalized protective bubble to be worn for the remainder of the season.
    Witty signature.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: Griffey breaks leg--per the Onion

The Onion took a potshot at Griffey last season that was in poor taste didn't they?

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    The Onion took a potshot at Griffey last season that was in poor taste didn't they?
    yep. had something to do with him developing cancer while both his parents were in treatment for it.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Yeah, they've done it before. Yawn...been there, done that.

CINCINNATI—Just days after the Reds centerfielder learned that his father Ken Sr. has prostate cancer and his mother Birdie would be undergoing surgery for colon cancer, a routine medical checkup Tuesday resulted in more bad news for Ken Griffey Jr., as doctors found a large malignant tumor on his right semitendinosus hamstring muscle. "This is the rarest and deadliest form of hamstring cancer," Reds trainer Mark Mann said. "The only way to eradicate the cancer is to go in and slice the three hamstring muscles completely in half and permanently remove them—as well as the three titanium screws holding them in place—from his leg." Next Wednesday, Griffey Jr. and Griffey Sr. are expected to become the first father-son duo to undergo chemotherapy together.

Regardless of the lack of taste, in my opinion, it is a very weak attempt at humor.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    Regardless of the lack of taste, in my opinion, it is a very weak attempt at humor.
    Seems to be a lot of that in regard to Ken Griffey Jr. lately. Do these humorists have day jobs?!?

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Seems to be a lot of that in regard to Ken Griffey Jr. lately. Do these humorists have day jobs?!?
    I don't know but based on what you read about Griffey around here, I'd say these humorist are Red fans.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    I don't know but based on what you read about Griffey around here, I'd say these humorist are Red fans.
    I don't really call those folks fans.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

CINCINNATI—Although Ken Griffey Jr. had nearly recovered from a broken hand sustained while playing with his children in December, his rehabilitation came to a sudden halt yesterday when a gentle 2 mph breeze wafted across his leg, shattering his femur in three places. "I knew it was broken right when that breeze hit me," said Griffey, who was walking from his sports therapist's office to his car in order to drive to his daughter's piano recital at the time of the injury. "These things just happen. If I would have known a breeze like that was coming, I never would have left the house." Reds manager Jerry Narron has stated that, upon Griffey's return to the Reds, he will be fitted with a personalized protective bubble to be worn for the remainder of the season.
    I agree the cancer faux story was in very poor taste (and wasn't very funny), this one strikes me as fairly humorous, particularly the highlighted bit at the end. And I suspect the writers do have day jobs - it's writing.

I even found a picture of it!

Yeah the one about the cancer was in poor taste, but this one is actually funny. I'm a huge Griffey fan, but even I can see the humor in this one.

I better there's some bitter Mariners fan at the Onion...
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

We're talking about a paper who's headline the day after Jerry Garcia died was

"Head Dead Head Dead"

yeah, sometimes it's tasteless but it's usually pretty damn funny.
    School's out. What did you expect?

The Onion is great, but they can't all be winners. If it's tasteless you want, this is about as bad as you get from The Onion, but I have to admit laughing after I read it.

Hideki Matsui Unable To Grasp Translator's Explanation Of Where Cory Lidle Is

October 19, 2006 | | Onion Sports

NEW YORK—Hideki Matsui's interpreter Roger Kahlon has been unable explain to the Yankees' Japanese-speaking left fielder that former teammate Cory Lidle died instantaneously last Wednesday after flying his four-seat, SR20 aircraft into a high-rise apartment building in Manhattan's Upper East Side. "At this point, I'm pretty sure [Matsui] thinks Lidle is either in his four-bedroom apartment or on a 20-minute plane ride to upstate New York," Kahlon said, adding that in order to make Lidle's whereabouts clear to Matsui, he has even resorted to making one of his hands into a plane, the other into a building, crashing them together, and making explosion noises. "This kind of thing just doesn't translate very well." According to Kahlon, the last time he asked Matsui where Cory Lidle was, a confused Matsui answered, "The bullpen."

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I agree the cancer faux story was in very poor taste (and wasn't very funny), this one strikes me as fairly humorous, particularly the highlighted bit at the end. And I suspect the writers do have day jobs - it's writing.

I even found a picture of it!

http://www.spitter.com/spitter_griffey_bubble.htm

Actually, I wrote this article a few years ago. Did the photoshop of him in the bubble, too.

Looks like I'll be sending the Onion an email.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 03-21-2007 at 12:23 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    Sorry if this has been posted before but I came across this today on the Onion sports site

I thought the Onion was a fiction site.

Turn Off Ads?