Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Olive Garden versus local fare?

Re: Olive Garden versus local fare?

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    My B-I-L, who is younger than me, used to order his steaks well done. One day I was grilling steaks and I informed him that I refused to cook a steak past medium-rare and if that didn't work for him then there was a MacDonalds not too far away. He said 'OK, I'll try it'. He hasn't ordered any beef more than medium-rare since, sometimes ordering rare. Even 'old dogs' learn 'new tricks' so age, to me, doesn't really make a good argument. Maybe you can educate the 'older' folks in your family. Take a shot. (shrug)

Rem
    Hilarious!

Just hearing that story makes me long to be invited to your next barbeque...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop View Post
    circling ageism here. whoa.

who knew olive garden chatter might belong in the politics/religion subset..

btw, my 62 year oldlady taste buds bloom just fine, thank you very much.
    It has been reported that the elderly require a 2- to 3-fold higher concentration of salt in order to detect it in tomato soup (Stevens et al., 1991).

http://chemse.oxfordjournals.org/content/25/3/331.full

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

As far as portions go: at american restaurants one appetizer and two entrees feeds four. Very well. Dessert is optional.
    The portions are still WAY to big, especially at dinner.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    It has been reported that the elderly require a 2- to 3-fold higher concentration of salt in order to detect it in tomato soup (Stevens et al., 1991).

We could start a thread on the definition of elderly. That article defines it as being 59 or older...

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    As far as portions go: at american restaurants one appetizer and two entrees feeds four. Very well. Dessert is optional.
    The portions are still WAY to big, especially at dinner.
    I for one hate to leave a restaurant hungry so I like big portions. Let me decide how much I'm going to eat. And that goes for the food Nazis too. How do they know how much food I need? I'm going out for wings with buddies of mine tonight. All I've had all day is a bowl of All Bran cereal with fruit on it. I'm going to need more at dinner than the person who had a full breakfast and lunch

So what defines old people for you? Over 20? Over 40? Over 60? Frankly, most Americans are disturbingly devoid of taste when it comes to food. Age has nothing to do with that flaw. The one thing that 'older' diners have going for them over the 'younger' diners is that they have often experienced a wider variety of food and have, generally, a more knowledgable definition of what makes an outstanding meal.

My B-I-L, who is younger than me, used to order his steaks well done. One day I was grilling steaks and I informed him that I refused to cook a steak past medium-rare and if that didn't work for him then there was a MacDonalds not too far away. He said 'OK, I'll try it'. He hasn't ordered any beef more than medium-rare since, sometimes ordering rare. Even 'old dogs' learn 'new tricks' so age, to me, doesn't really make a good argument. Maybe you can educate the 'older' folks in your family. Take a shot. (shrug)

I can't tell you how many times I've walked into a burger joint and tried to order a cheeseburger, rare, only to be told that they only do burgers medium or above. At that point, I walk out. If ya' can't fill my order the way I want it then ya' ain't gettin' my money. Pretty simple. One of the reasons I like Fat Burger is because, while they are in the business of selling burgers, they are also in the business of giving the customer what they want. As the 'most interesting man in the world' might say, I don't eat fast food often but, when I do, I eat at Fat Burger'. LOL

Rem
    70+ has been my definition of old for my entire life. I do realize now that I am a geezer. A girl that I went to high school with (age 33) is now a grandparent.

On a side note, anybody, or any restaurant, that considers any form of corn as a vegetable needs to be beaten within an inch of their life.

Another pet peeve about my wife's family, I will predict Easter dinner: Ham (not honey baked, or with any exotic cures, plain unimaginative ham), mashed potatoes with bottled gravy, corn, deviled eggs(yuck), some horrendous seven layer salad soaked in mayonnaise with sugar added for taste, several desserts. Apart from the insulin shock, not one stinking green vegetable. If we bring a green vegetable no one outside of my family eats it. These same people love the Olive Garden, Applebees, etc etc. Maybe I am a food snob, but I don't care. Step out of your shell. We don't own a fryer at home, I don't order fried food when I dine out.

As a dairy farmer, I have a supply of premium quality hamburger. I grind my own. Several years ago, the sale of hurt cattle was ceased in the USA. Therefore if I have a cow that falls and breaks a leg, I have two options: 1.Butcher her for my own consumption 2. Compost her. This happens rarely, but given the quality and the ability to produce fresh lean hand crafted hamburger, my choice is #1. Secret fact, a thin dairy cow makes the best hamburger. I never order one dining out any more. I know I have far better meat at home.
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 04-05-2011 at 04:17 PM.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post

My 58 1/2 yr. old taste buds discern things more finely than my unrefined 18 yr. old ones ever did.

get off my lawn!!!
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    My 58 1/2 yr. old taste buds discern things more finely than my unrefined 18 yr. old ones ever did.

get off my lawn!!!
    I don't know. My daughter in elementary school has much more sensitive taste buds than mine. I don't think I'd use the term discerning but that's why kids generally don't do spicy food. It's way too much for them and that's why they're such picky eaters. They can taste stuff I can't

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Fat Burger is indeed awesome. And I love the name. Not "garden burger"... not "healty burger".... we're freakin' fatburger, and don't you forget it!
    how are your elderly taste buds?

My B-I-L, who is younger than me, used to order his steaks well done. One day I was grilling steaks and I informed him that I refused to cook a steak past medium-rare and if that didn't work for him then there was a MacDonalds not too far away. He said 'OK, I'll try it'. He hasn't ordered any beef more than medium-rare since, sometimes ordering rare.
    My wife only orders "well done". Can't talk her out of it.

As an Italian I am appalled at the words Olive Garden and quality food in the same sentence. Unless the word "ain't" is in there.

Mangia!!!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    My wife only orders "well done". Can't talk her out of it.
    This explains a lot.........
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    This explains a lot.........
    shouldn't you be on a plane to pick up your mail order bride?

I can't tell you how many times I've walked into a burger joint and tried to order a cheeseburger, rare, only to be told that they only do burgers medium or above. At that point, I walk out. If ya' can't fill my order the way I want it then ya' ain't gettin' my money. Pretty simple. One of the reasons I like Fat Burger is because, while they are in the business of selling burgers, they are also in the business of giving the customer what they want. As the 'most interesting man in the world' might say, I don't eat fast food often but, when I do, I eat at Fat Burger'. LOL

Rem
    Most places will not allow their cooks to sell a burger that's not cooked through. The CDC says hamburger must be cooked to an internal temp of 160 in order to kill E. Coli bacteria. Why hamburger and not steak? Because e. Coli lives on the outside of beef, but once you grind it up then it's throughout the meat. So, at many burger joints they only cook them through and through. Like little slabs of asphalt shingles- it's killed the hamburger, unfortunately.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I for one hate to leave a restaurant hungry so I like big portions. Let me decide how much I'm going to eat. And that goes for the food Nazis too. How do they know how much food I need? I'm going out for wings with buddies of mine tonight. All I've had all day is a bowl of All Bran cereal with fruit on it. I'm going to need more at dinner than the person who had a full breakfast and lunch
    This. Additionally, since there is only one portion size on the menu of most places, it's important that it cater to anyone who might order -- be it my best female friend (5'2") or me (6'10").

On the subject of meat -- many restaurants only cook above medium to avoid liability for someone getting sick from undercooked food. This is fine by me, because I prefer my steaks done medium. I like the entire dish to be at least warm in the middle.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?