Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 67 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

As a teacher, I've "given" many kids a couple points so that they pass. On occasion, I've given a couple points for an A or B, depending on work ethic.

If Bledsoe did indeed earn a C, but was given an A, I would hope he did work for it.

I don't know of any teacher going so far as to jump a kid's overall grade the 12 to 20points it would take to go from C to A.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    This has seriously taken on a life of its own.

I wonder which is more popular, the Free Enes movement or the John Wall dance?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    This has seriously taken on a life of its own.

I wonder which is more popular, the Free Enes movement or the John Wall dance?
    YouTube - CALIPARI CALIPARI

Only at Kentucky will you find more postings on the basketball thread than the football one in late Sept...

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Only at Kentucky will you find more postings on the basketball thread than the football one in late Sept...
    No real surprise. It's a basketball school.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    No real surprise. It's a basketball school.
    Football is fun and all, but we both know the real season starts in November, don't we?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Football is fun and all, but we both know the real season starts in November, don't we?
    Yes we do.

Only at UK would someone travel 1000 miles to camp out with a bunch of knuckleheads dressed in blue, just to get vouchers for tickets to a practice. Yep, that would be me - and our campsight is already set up ... LOL. Our family and friends have been doing this for over 25 years.

New York Reds' vacation agenda:

Sep 25 - Jackson 100 stock car race at Brownstown Speedway, Indiana
    Sep 28 - Reds division clincher at Great American Ballpark
    Sep 29 - Oct 2 ... Big Blue Madness camping
    Oct 9 - UK vs Auburn football game

My girlfriend (who is from NY and not a huge sports fan) thinks I'm insane. :

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Only at UK would someone travel 1000 miles to camp out with a bunch of knuckleheads dressed in blue, just to get vouchers for tickets to a practice. Yep, that would be me - and our campsight is already set up ... LOL. Our family and friends have been doing this for over 25 years.

New York Reds' vacation agenda:

Sep 25 - Jackson 100 stock car race at Brownstown Speedway, Indiana
    Sep 28 - Reds division clincher at Great American Ballpark
    Sep 29 - Oct 2 ... Big Blue Madness camping
    Oct 9 - UK vs Auburn football game

My girlfriend (who is from NY and not a huge sports fan) thinks I'm insane. :
    You are.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/dickv...ory?id=5607445

I often think about the way the Derrick Rose situation was handled at Memphis. The NCAA Eligibility Center had declared Rose eligible. He then led the Tigers to the national championship game. Not a school in America would have sat Rose down when he was cleared! But after other information surfaced, the NCAA asked the school to vacate that Final Four appearance.

Give me a break! You have to pay the price as well. The NCAA has to look in the mirror and question its handling of the Rose situation. After declaring him eligible, how does it turn around and reverse that decision? The act should have been handled with a financial punishment, in my opinion.
    Nice article from Dicky V.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    The average fan is in for a rude awakening if they ever realized how dirty college basketball is behind the scenes. That means recruiting, grade altering, you name it.
    Exactly. Ever read that book about Jimmy V at NC State? Some crazy stuff going on there and that was 25 years ago.

Stat geek...and proud

I often think about the way the Derrick Rose situation was handled at Memphis. The NCAA Eligibility Center had declared Rose eligible. He then led the Tigers to the national championship game. Not a school in America would have sat Rose down when he was cleared! But after other information surfaced, the NCAA asked the school to vacate that Final Four appearance.

Give me a break! You have to pay the price as well. The NCAA has to look in the mirror and question its handling of the Rose situation. After declaring him eligible, how does it turn around and reverse that decision? The act should have been handled with a financial punishment, in my opinion.
    Not a Cal fan, but I totally agree with this. You can't clear someone to play, then renege after the fact, and then punish the school. Once you're eligible, then you're eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Not a Cal fan, but I totally agree with this. You can't clear someone to play, then renege after the fact, and then punish the school. Once you're eligible, then you're eligible.
    So any kid can have someone else take his ACT/SAT for him, then as long as the NCAA doesn't find out before he is cleared he should be eligible???

I don't think so.

It's a fine line to walk. I tend to agree with him that if you are not caught in the act so to speak than there's no point to punishing after the fact. On the other hand, it makes more sense than just going after all the schools right away with an undermanned and underfunded staff and then letting a flood of questionable things skate by.

The optimal solution to me would be to have an NCAA eligibility clearinghouse with enough manpower to successfully evaluate eligibility before the season and an enforcement squad with enough manpower to enforce anything through the season. If both are large enough to handle all the eligibility questions effectively, than if something is discovered after the fact, Se la vie.

I think that the NCAA actually plays this game on purpose to a degree.
    When you remember the NCAA isn't just some monolithic institution, but is composed entirely of the schools.
    -Consider the schools who probably don't want the central clearinghouse to be TOO good at catching ineligible athletes, because who knows what they'll find in our closet.
    -Consider the alternative to guys like Erick Bledsoe playing because they're "conditionally eligible" is them not playing at all. Bledsoe still would have gone to the NBA after his one year wait, and would have done nothing for the NCAA.
    -Consider that having coaches(Who are the real stars) that are seen by the media as slimy creates a good vs evil narrative that can be used to increase viewership of any game. If you have coaches deemed on the side of good,(Izzo, Coach K, Williams?) and coaches seen as bad/slimy/evil(Huggins, Calipari, Matta?) than any game between those two takes on a new level of importance.

So every once in a while, the NCAA "discovers" new evidence, and puts a school on probation or vacates a season(wait it's Memphis who we don't really care about anyway? So much the better! Huzzah!) This hopefully keeps the rest of the schools somewhat honest(not exceedingly stupid) and shows an image of the NCAA trying to protect the "integrity" of college athletics.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Turn Off Ads?