Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Skip Schumaker

Re: Reds Sign Skip Schumaker

An everyday switch hitting second baseman who can also play SS well enough to rest Cozart (with Schumaker at 2b when he does this) would complete the MI group quite nicely. Texas has one.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MattyHo4Life View Post
    I doubt that. The Cardinals practically gave him to the Dodgers.
    You're right. I'd think it would be a sound move for the Cards, but Mozeliak thinks much differently than I. Pete Kozma being a SS for most of the year is a sign of that... I also would have put Freese on the trading table in July when he had some more value.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    Oh cheese and rice... Can this team please stop trying to become Cardinals East?
    I agree. Championships suck.

I came across this bit from the L.A. Times - about the Dodgers losing Shumaker to us

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodger...#axzz2lBuGq321

Those versatile bench guys the Dodgers love so much are falling fast.

Having already lost Nick Punto to the A’s last week, they have apparently now lost his buddy, Skip Schumaker, to the Reds.

Nick Rosenthal of Fox Sports reported Monday that Schumaker has signed a two-year deal with Cincinnati.

Schumaker, who will be 34 in February, split his time with the Dodgers last season between second base and the outfield. He hit .263 in 319 at-bats with the Dodgers, with 31 runs and 30 RBI.

Punto and Schumaker are friends who both live in south Orange County and used to carpool to Dodger Stadium. Both played more than the Dodgers anticipated and helped give a strong veteran outlook to the clubhouse.

Jerry Hairston Jr., 37, was the other jack-of-all-trades for the Dodgers, but he hit just .143 in the second half, is a free agent and not expected back.

That means with the loss of Schumaker and Punto, Dodgers General Manager Ned Colletti will once again have to reinvent his bench for next season.

Rosenthal tweeted the signing announcement is pending Schumaker passing his physical.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Having already lost Nick Punto to the A’s last week, they have apparently now lost his buddy, Skip Schumaker, to the Reds.
    We should have signed Punto instead of Schumaker.

7. Likes:

MattyHo4Life (11-20-2013)

Send them Hannahan

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    I'm glad Punto isn't a Red. I know it's irrational and has nothing to do with his ballplaying ability, but his uniform-shredding schtick just rubs me the wrong way.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Why?

2 years older, worse hitter and not capable of playing OF which Reds obviously feel they need with their future plans in mind.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (11-20-2013)

any cardinal is worth getting including alex johnson and bobby tolan and ted savage

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Why?

2 years older, worse hitter and not capable of playing OF which Reds obviously feel they need with their future plans in mind.
    Because Punto is not a sub-replacement level player who can't play infield (where we actually need depth) anything but horribly and because he signed a 1-year contract? Or, alternatively, you could just compare the two players' respective WAR over the past few years and it might hint at why somebody would think Punto was the better option.

Because Punto is not a sub-replacement level player who can't play infield (where we actually need depth) anything but horribly and because he signed a 1-year contract? Or, alternatively, you could just compare the two players' respective WAR over the past few years and it might hint at why somebody would think Punto was the better option.
    WAR is a counting stat and not really the best way to judge part time players.

The Reds obviously know they need OF help with what they are going to do so you can not just toss that aside. So they were in the market for a backup 2b/OF. Not exactly a lot of options and Punto was not one.

The Reds obviously know they need OF help with what they are going to do so you can not just toss that aside. So they were in the market for a backup 2b/OF. Not exactly a lot of options and Punto was not one.
    Agree.

Pretty much most stats don't help us evaluate backups. Their careers are usually one big collection of small sample sizes. Not very predictive.

The two qualities I want in a backup player is the ability to play multiple positions on a passable level, and the ability to get a hit and get on base. I don't care much about their power.

I really don't like low BA guys with some power (Kelly Johnson, Chris Heisey, Russell Braynon, etc). I want guys who can come off the bench and give quality AB's, not guys who suck most of the time, but every now and then run into a meatball for a homer. I also don't care for slick fielding guys off the bench, even at SS. They just don't play enough to make that much difference with the glove. I prefer guy who doesn't hurt you with the glove and gives you decent AB's every time.

Which is why I like this signing.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

16. Likes:

M2 (11-20-2013)

Walt Jocketty was probably just looking for someone who could bunt.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

When the counting adds up to a negative number, I'm not sure the extra playing time helps much.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    When the counting adds up to a negative number, I'm not sure the extra playing time helps much.
    It could when difference is entirely fielding metric based.

Schumaker
    .263 /.332 /.332 OPS.665 OPS+90 Fielding %.972
    Punto
    .255 /.328 /.327 OPS.655 OPS+87 Fielding %.974

They were pretty much the same player except for fielding metrics. Which are highly variable. An outfielder dropping a couple fly balls would need a lot of chances to gain that ground back. Not saying this was the case but if you think one of these players is much better than the other based on WAR I would have a hard time seeing it. But regardless the Reds wanted someone with OF experience so Punto was never an option I assume.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (11-20-2013)

Turn Off Ads?