Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati reaction to snow

Re: Cincinnati reaction to snow

From back in the day when 'men were men' and snow really was a four letter word: read the Enquirer article about the winters of '76/'77 and '77/'78. View the pictures of people walking across the Ohio River between Ohio and Kentucky! That, my friends makes this winter look like a 90 pound weakling!

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/ourhisto...r-the-ice-ages

Rem

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    From back in the day when 'men were men' and snow really was a four letter word: read the Enquirer article about the winters of '76/'77 and '77/'78. View the pictures of people walking across the Ohio River between Ohio and Kentucky! That, my friends makes this winter look like a 90 pound weakling!

Rem
    A stunning January that was

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

I remember it well. Stunning!

Little Aurora, Indiana even got mentioned in Time Magazine (a frozen Ohio River fact, I think).

I was in Cincinnati both years. Whew! I walked to the Celestial Restaurant in Mt. Adams and watched people walking on the river. I could never imagine such a thing. Scarry just watching.

In '78 my car, which had been parked on the street when the snow started got 'plowed in',---buried by the snow plows. It was about 10 days before I could get it out. Walked about two blocks to a small pony keg to get food but they were running out because they weren't getting deliveries so a bunch of us in my apartment building got together to share what we had and actually had a pretty good time.

I was a regional sales rep at the time covering OH, IN and KY and it didn't matter that I couldn't get my car out of the snowbank because there was no way I was hitting the Interstate anyway.

In '79 I moved to Los Angeles. Much better. LOL

Rem

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Cincinnati winters will never be the same for me after visiting Minneapolis-St. Paul three years ago in January. That is some harsh weather up there!

That said, the roads sucked this morning here and I'm thankful I didn't run into anyone or anything during my slippery drive to work (and I was driving pretty slow too). I'm bracing for a very long commute home later tonight.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

After spending most of my life in Lexington or Versailles, and the last few years in upstate NY, I guess I've seen both sides of this coin now. Back home they shut down schools for days over three or four inches of snow. Up here we get anywhere from 125-130 inches of snow per year (probably more), but they've only called school off one day since I've lived here. We can get a foot of snow between 8:00PM and 6:00AM, and the roads will be cleared and sanded by the time school buses roll out. The amount of equipment and manpower used up here for snow removal is crazy.

It also helps that there's basically no humidity here, so the snow is always powdery. No slush, no ice, etc. Very light and easy to deal with, even with a shovel. Shoveling heavy, wet snow in Lexington is brutal. Shoveling a foot of powdered snow up here is barely even a workout.

Oy. I remember the blizzard of '78.... slogging through the wind and snow to the barn 4-5 times a day with buckets of hot water for the horses.... Wrestling the big barn door open to get hay bales out... This is the one time of the year I *don't* miss having horses and stock to take care of! lol!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    A stunning January that was
    Not if you were waiting for a city bus that may or may not show up to go to school.

Rem
    I made the trek across the river, or started it. We got halfway out and I looked down and could see water flowing under the ice, saw the thousands of yahoos just like me and we decided maybe it wasn't a great idea. But it's fun to say I did it!

I lived in my first apartment then, in St. Bernard, a three room shotgun place. Only heat was a space heater in the front bedroom. The bathroom was in the very back. The toilet froze, so I moved in with some friends for a couple of weeks until it thawed and they could repair it.

I got my car started the morning it was -25, stopped at a gas station to have him check the antifreeze again. "It's good to -20; it'll never get this cold again." The next morning it was -26. I worked for a trucking company and we had to leave our trucks running all night and all day so the diesel fuel wouldn't turn to jelly.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    Not if you were waiting for a city bus that may or may not show up to go to school.
    Shoot, I had to walk everywhere, including school.

That blizzard in '78 was bad news. The barometric pressure was at 28.28 which is hurricane levels. The NWS categorized it as a "severe blizzard" which I'd never heard of before.

http://www.bceo.org/78blizzardrev.html

I drove a jeep then which luckily had a block heater. I ran an extension cord out to it and plugged in the heater otherwise I would have never gotten it started.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    I remember it well. Stunning!
    I missed that blizzard. But I heard a lot about it from family.

I was in my last year in the Navy, and my ship made a port call in the Virgin Islands (St Thomas). The only white stuff I was experiencing was white sandy beaches as I lounged around in my cut-offs, drinking pina coladas. I decided to call home, and that's when I heard about the blizzard.

Yesterday, we got approximately 4-5 inches. Yeah, it made it a little rough getting home from work, and they let the kids out of school early, but that's a normal winter here. What blows me away are the idiots, and they probably lived in Ohio all their lives too, who still can't seem to adjust their driving habits when this stuff hits, and they're lined up in ditches everywhere because they think their 4 wheel drive SUV can still safely go 65 mph on ice and snow.

I call'em SUH's, meaning.... Stuck Upta Here

Today it's suppose to get bad as wind chills drive the temps down to around -15, and 25 mph winds cause drifting snow. I'm staying home and enjoying a 3 day weekend.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-21-2011 at 07:33 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Yesterday, we got approximately 4-5 inches. Yeah, it made it a little rough getting home from work, and they let the kids out of school early, but that's a normal winter here. What blows me away are the idiots, and they probably lived in Ohio all their lives too, who still can't seem to adjust their driving habits when this stuff hits, and they're lined up in ditches everywhere because they think their 4 wheel drive SUV can still safely go 65 mph on ice and snow.
    It doesn't matter if they're going 65 or 35. They just don't know how to maneuver in the stuff. Every 16 year old should learn that. But they don't bother.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I survived the commute, but along the way home a rock from somewhere hit my windshield and left a giant crack.

Car is less than 4 months old. I'm not pleased.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Shoot, I had to walk everywhere, including school.
    I wasn't walking to Walnut Hills from College Hill. Finding a bus to get home after the teachers went on strike was adventure enough.

Turn Off Ads?