Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Votto's 10yr extension finally starts in 2014

Re: Votto's 10yr extension finally starts in 2014

Votto is obsessed with perfection. Of course, perfection is unattainable - especially given a sport where a 2/3rd's failure rate makes you an upper elchelon Hall of Fame hitter. But Votto constantly strives to get better, not just accept that he's made it and rest on his laurels.

How could any Reds fan not love this guy? Is it about the money he is paid - is it as petty as begrudging him for his contract? If so, well all I can say is that I pity such a person whose experiences in life have caused that mindset. If, on the other hand, one truly believes Votto can perform better - well Votto himself agrees with that. He's going to work his tail off in the offseason the way he always does. That's one of the biggest reason I love Votto. He's never going to be satisfied. What more could you want from your star.

In fact, maybe we need to pay Votto more money to double as the hitting coach. If all the Reds' hitters tried to follow Votto's approach (kind of like the Cardinals appear to strive for) the Reds would be a much, much better offensive club.

2. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (10-16-2013),wheels (10-16-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

It's all about people expecting Joey to reprise his 2010 season each and every year of the contract. It's not fair, but that's really what they expect.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    At some point, if a team wants sustained success, they got to spend some money.
    Sure, but not that much.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    As discussed before, it's highly unlikely that Votto will be worth what he's being paid in the final years of this contract. But that okay.
    It shouldn't be.

When you sign a star player to a long term contract in his prime, you do so in order to benefit from his prime years production.
    Votto is already 30, he doesn't have many 'prime' years left.

It's really the only way to keep a star player long term.
    Except that's not what is MOST important now is it?

2010 - Votto = 143 RC
    2011 - Votto = 131 RC
    2012 - Votto = 105 RC
    2013 - Votto = 132 RC

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Sure, but not that much.
    http://www.redreporter.com/2013/10/1...mors-offseason

Not the best source, but still good article and good numbers. Author suggests the Reds attendance this year could bump payroll up 10%, but I think it will be more than that for the right guys. Extensions to Latos, Cueto, Bailey are all looming and a lot of people want Choo back which will increase payroll a little since Votto's salary goes back down and Arroyo is off the books.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    http://www.redreporter.com/2013/10/1...mors-offseason

Not the best source, but still good article and good numbers. Author suggests the Reds attendance this year could bump payroll up 10%, but I think it will be more than that for the right guys. Extensions to Latos, Cueto, Bailey are all looming and a lot of people want Choo back which will increase payroll a little since Votto's salary goes back down and Arroyo is off the books.
    That doesn't have much to do with Votto. BUT, since you brought it up, I'm skeptical that Choo will be back unless a trade is made to create some room in the budget.

It shouldn't be.
    Underpay during the prime years, overpay during the back end. That's the way most long term deals are done. Joey shouldn't really take a paycut the next few years either, I suppose by your logic, but he did.

If you want to argue specifics on this deal, that's fine. But to blanket-statement things with "it shouldn't be ok to overpay a guy on the back end" is missing the big picture.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Underpay during the prime years, overpay during the back end. That's the way most long term deals are done. Joey shouldn't really take a paycut the next few years either, I suppose by your logic, but he did.
    Considering the deal he got I can't blame him a bit for taking less in the first few years of the deal. I would too.

If you want to argue specifics on this deal, that's fine. But to blanket-statement things with "it shouldn't be ok to overpay a guy on the back end" is missing the big picture.
    I disagree 1,000%.

I disagree 1,000%.
    It's not something I desire, but it is simply the price of doing business.

Let me let you in on a secret...whoever signs Choo this offseason (assuming Boras doesn't butcher things) is going to overpay him on the back few years of the deal. The hope being that Choo will outperform things on the frontside.

Without knowing what the final numbers will be, I can't say if the deal will be a good one or not...but that is the way it will be drawn up.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (10-16-2013)

It's not something I desire, but it is simply the price of doing business.

Let me let you in on a secret...whoever signs Choo this offseason (assuming Boras doesn't butcher things) is going to overpay him on the back few years of the deal. The hope being that Choo will outperform things on the frontside.

Without knowing what the final numbers will be, I can't say if the deal will be a good one or not...but that is the way it will be drawn up.
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if that happened. It happens quite often so I tend to expect it. I doubt it will be on the same scale as the contract given to Votto though.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if that happened. It happens quite often so I tend to expect it. I doubt it will be on the same scale as the contract given to Votto though.
    And that's reasonable. But I don't agree with the "it's not ok to overpay on the back years (of any deal)" remark.

Unless the Reds can get better players around him, he's just going to keep on walking.

And that's reasonable. But I don't agree with the "it's not ok to overpay on the back years (of any deal)" remark.
    Well, we're all entitled to our own opinions.

By the way, yes, I did notice that you're changing the context. I was only talking about the contract given to Votto.

Well, we're all entitled to our own opinions.

By the way, yes, I did notice that you're changing the context. I was only talking about the contract given to Votto.
    I said if you want to talk specifics on Votto's deal that's one thing, but I said you also can't blanket statement things by saying you should never overpay on the back end.

To which you said you disagreed 1000%.

Turn Off Ads?