Turn Off Ads?

Thread: It's January, Might as well......

It's January, Might as well......

....get into the Homer Bailey discussion. Do you guys vision Homer breaking camp and heading north right out of the gate this year? I remember listening to Tracey Jones last season say the scouts have told him there's nothing left for Homer to prove in the minors.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: It's January, Might as well......

Follow up. Just got this email from the Reds:
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...01140412/1071/

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

what the heck, I may as well get into this since I am off today.....look for Homer to start the season in Louisville...unless he does something ungodly during spring training....Reds brass are going to take every precaution available with Homer, so there will be no excuse if he comes to the bigs and flops or comes down with injuries (think Mark Prior or Kerry Wood)

Happy MLK day everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    I remember listening to Tracey Jones last season say the scouts have told him there's nothing left for Homer to prove in the minors.
    Nope. Not a thing.

Except AAA.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    .....look for Homer to start the season in Louisville...unless he does something ungodly during spring training....
    I'm not sure that would even be enough. If I remember correctly, he was lights out last spring. I trust the Reds know what they're doing, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit to see him come up this year.

Senor Votto

Personally I'd rather see him start at Louisville for a month or two just to see how he does. He he does good then call him up.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    ....get into the Homer Bailey discussion. Do you guys vision Homer breaking camp and heading north right out of the gate this year? I remember listening to Tracey Jones last season say the scouts have told him there's nothing left for Homer to prove in the minors.
    IIRC, Tracey saw him pitch and then changed his mind.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I would say he starts and probably would need to start at AAA at least for a month and then be brought up, even if he has an ungodly spring.

I think in some respects Bailey is ready for the majors. AAA isn't what it used to be, when it was a place for top prospects to get one more test. AAA has become a dumping ground almost. There are still a few organizations who use AAA for actual talent, like Tampa Bay. Part of me thinks that they do so because they don't want to start a player's arbitration clock too early.

But given that the NL Central is still up for grabs, I think you have to go with your best pitchers who have succeeded in AA and above, and certainly Bailey fits the bill. I just hope he doesn't give up too many homers to shatter his confidence.

What is sad is the Reds might pull a Tampa Bay sort of thing with calling him up. The sooner they call him up the sooner he can go to abritation and the sooner he can be a free agent.

I don't think a month or 2 in AAA would hurt him, but he sure does not anything to prove in AA. Usually if a pitcher who is a high end propect dominates AA he goes right to the ML. I know that the high brass want him in AAA but Narron would have brought him up last year or so it seemed.

On the brink of disaster

I'm starting to agree more with the AAA train of thought. Yeah, he did great at AA last season, and I was hoping to see a September call up but we didn't see it, but that doesn't make me upset at the Red's brass. It just made me respect their patience and perseverance. So to me, if he wasn't called up or promoted at the end of they year last year, then I hope they follow a similar plan for him this year. Let him get in a groove at AAA and prove at yet another level that he is ready. The respect I gained for their patience would be forgotten if they all of the sudden decided to change their plans on the kid. After all he is still a kid, heck, most people still call me kid and I'm older than he is. He's not even old enough to go celebrate at a bar with his teammates after a W until May. I know age is just a number, but maturity isn't gained by being thrown to the wolves. If he does have a hard time adjusting to the majors, the time he could have been at AAA preparing will have been put on hold and we would get less out of him during the season. Stick to the plan that has unfolded where we have seen him blossom. As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I like the tidbit in there about Hamilton...sounds like he really likes the chance we gave him and is ready to come out and play for us. I hope we stole something when we got him, that would be sweet if he could peak for us and show us some of the ability he had coming out of Raleigh.

I found a few quotes from a sort of recent USA Today article explaining a little about him. "It brought back so many memories," Henderson says. "He was like a young George Brett. He was a guy that was going to hit .300, hit 30 homers a year, run. And he had maybe the best left-handed arm I've ever seen. He had everything you wanted."

"I love this game. It's the only thing I've been good at," says Hamilton.

"What's crazy is that I never even considered using steroids. I know it doesn't make sense. But I love this game so much that I would never cheat it."

I hope that Josh can regain some of that because the love for the game is there, it is almost painfully evident. He may be able to turn into a leader for this team, a leader that I feel we need in many senses of the word.

Sorry for being so Optimistic in advance.
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

Would there be any advantage in Homer being in the Reds' bullpen immediately out of spring training? It might be a good way for him to gradually become accustomed to getting out major league hitters, as well as limiting the total number of innings that he pitches in 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Would there be any advantage in Homer being in the Reds' bullpen immediately out of spring training? It might be a good way for him to gradually become accustomed to getting out major league hitters, as well as limiting the total number of innings that he pitches in 2007.

Not a bad plan. But even if he's just average out of the bullpen, there will be such a cry for him to be in the rotation that it will be tough to resist. A lot of star pitchers started out in long relief but few if any came in with the hype Homer has.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Two words (or one hyphenated word): SUPER-TWO

The Reds will stash him in AAA for at least a couple of months to prevent him from achieving the dreaded 'super-two' status which moves up a player's arbitration schedule by a full year.

Hopefully, when they do call him up they'll pull an Earl Weaver and start him off in the bullpen rather than immediately slotting him in the rotation. IMO, the kid could use a couple of months in the 'pen to adjust to major league hitters.

Turn Off Ads?