Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Tracking Adam Dunn on the All-Time Career Home Run List

Re: Tracking Adam Dunn on the All-Time Career Home Run List

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Nice job mods. Really appreciate not having to see that horrible thread title whenever I read tORG.
    There are apparently a large enough contingent that would say the same about this particular thread title.

But I think it makes sense to have all Adam Dunn related discussion in one thread... be it homers, strikeouts, defense, what have you.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Interesting article today on Fangraphs about Dunn and his hall of fame chances. I think it's pretty spot-on...

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...-hall-of-fame/

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    There are apparently a large enough contingent that would say the same about this particular thread title.

But I think it makes sense to have all Adam Dunn related discussion in one thread... be it homers, strikeouts, defense, what have you.
    Why would you say that?

After all, he's probably going to have a great number of HR's and got a lot of those as a Red. Why shouldn't we proud of him?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Why would you say that?

After all, he's probably going to have a great number of HR's and got a lot of those as a Red. Why shouldn't we proud of him?
    Not everyone cares about what former players are doing, let alone a thread specifically devoted to tracking one's career.

I'm neither here nor there on it myself. I don't quite understand the need for it, but I have nothing against it either. But there are others that are annoyed by it and I can understand why.

Thing is, a lot of former Reds were mocked and made fun of after their careers in Cincinnati were over. The jubilation at Austin Kearns' failures in Washington were notable. I'm not saying everyone was like that, nor are there no examples to the contrary, but I don't always see the same logic applied to others that some apply to Dunn.

I don't think he was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and I don't understand why people can't let it go that he's gone. But I also think he's a good guy, a good player and wish him well. That's different than keeping an ongoing home run tracker for a player that has been gone two years, though.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Interesting article today on Fangraphs about Dunn and his hall of fame chances. I think it's pretty spot-on...

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...-hall-of-fame/
    You mean like this line:
    He won’t deserve to go in based on total value, but the sexy numbers just may be enough.
    IF Dunn makes it in it will be due to his homers and that's pretty much it. Although I bet there'll be some Dunn supporters that will say that the Reds decision to keep him in left is why he might not make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Not everyone cares about what former players are doing, let alone a thread specifically devoted to tracking one's career.

I'm neither here nor there on it myself. I don't quite understand the need for it, but I have nothing against it either. But there are others that are annoyed by it and I can understand why.

Thing is, a lot of former Reds were mocked and made fun of after their careers in Cincinnati were over. The jubilation at Austin Kearns' failures in Washington were notable. I'm not saying everyone was like that, nor are there no examples to the contrary, but I don't always see the same logic applied to others that some apply to Dunn.

I don't think he was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and I don't understand why people can't let it go that he's gone. But I also think he's a good guy, a good player and wish him well. That's different than keeping an ongoing home run tracker for a player that has been gone two years, though.

There is a lot of truth in the saying most fans root for laundry.

Some of us become attached to these guys, it's hard not to keep rooting for some of your favorite players just because they have been traded or have been declared as free agents. That doesn't mean we stop rooting for the Reds.

If this thread offends anyone in any way they don't have to read it, nobody is forcing them to click on it. I really can't understand the objection.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

Some of us become attached to these guys, it's hard not to keep rooting for some of your favorite players just because they have been traded or have been declared as free agents. That doesn't mean we stop rooting for the Reds.

If this thread offends anyone in any way they don't have to read it, nobody is forcing them to click on it. I really can't understand the objection.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

There was a lot of people complaining about the strikeout thread. Why did that bother anyone? After all, they didn't have to read it.

Truth is, you can say that about anything on this board. I happen to agree with you... self-censorship should be just fine. But we all know it doesn't seem to work that way.

On page 1, there is a thread about a potential no hitter in Seattle which has nothing to do with the Reds. There is a thread about Joe Torre. No real Reds connection. There is a thread about Derek Jeter and his mystery HBP - again no Reds connection. There is a thread about Vin Scully with again, no Reds connection.

Yet, somehow, a thread tracking the HR journey of the player produced by the Reds system who has a real possibility of becoming only the second guy originating from the long history of the franchise to reach 400 let alone 500 HR is off limits because he is no longer a Red? I don't get it.

I do understand that some may have no interest, but some do so why ruin it with the constant whining? There are threads that don't particularly interest me either. I could care less about uniform styles (but there is a thread about them on page 1) and I don't really care much about Torre retiring nor do I see the big deal about Jeter's HBP gamesmanship, but I don't ruin those threads by whining about them. I simply move on. I'd suggest that people who aren't interested in any topic simply move on and resist the urge for posting things about them being uninteresting. While I'm ranting, I'm also annoyed at posts like "I can't believe we have ... number of pages about ..."

My suggestion to everyone is to participate in threads that interest you and leave discussions that you don't care about alone and let others discuss as they please. As long as its not offensive, illegal or in violation of board taboos, why chime in with this whiney drivel?
    Last edited by mth123; 09-18-2010 at 05:43 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Love Adeam Dunn but by a country mile would take Jose Bautista.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    Love Adeam Dunn but by a country mile would take Jose Bautista.
    Bautista was touted as an up and coming power bat as a minor leaguer but it took several years of meh before it showed up. I think he'll continue to have success (but not .994 OPS type success) for a few years, but it's interesting that it took so long. Consider that Adam Dunn is only 11 months older than Bautista but has bascially had a .900 plus OPS as a major leaguer for nearly a decade. Bautista with 106 career HR will turn 30 on October 19th.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    On page 1, there is a thread about a potential no hitter in Seattle which has nothing to do with the Reds. There is a thread about Joe Torre. No real Reds connection. There is a thread about Derek Jeter and his mystery HBP - again no Reds connection. There is a thread about Vin Scully with again, no Reds connection.

Yet, somehow, a thread tracking the HR journey of the player produced by the Reds system who has a real possibility of becoming only the second guy originating from the long history of the franchise to reach 400 let alone 500 HR is off limits because he is no longer a Red? I don't get it.

I do understand that some may have no interest, but some do so why ruin it with the constant whining? There are threads that don't particularly interest me either. I could care less about uniform styles (but there is a thread about them on page 1) and I don't really care much about Torre retiring nor do I see the big deal about Jeter's HBP gamesmanship, but I don't ruin those threads by whining about them. I simply move on. I'd suggest that people who aren't interested in any topic simply move on and resist the urge for posting things about them being uninteresting. While I'm ranting, I'm also annoyed at posts like "I can't believe we have ... number of pages about ..."

My suggestion to everyone is to participate in threads that interest you and leave discussions that you don't care about alone and let others discuss as they please. As long as its not offensive, illegal or in violation of board taboos, why chime in with this whiney drivel?

THANK YOU.

Speaking of how Dunn rates historically as a rally killer, his 74 GDP places him in a tie for 935th on the all time "doubleplays grounded into" list with former Reds Aaron Boone, Jason LaRue and Eddie Miksis. He probably has no shot at overtaking Cal Ripken for #1 all time (350) nor is it realistic to expect him to overtake Frank Robinson (270), Tony Perez (268), Dave Concepcion (266) and Ernie Lombardi (261) who rank the highest of all former Reds in a logjam at 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th all time.

As anyone who has enjoyed the statues in front of GABP knows, Ernie Lombardi played for the Reds from 1932 through the 1941 seasons. He was known for being exceedingly slow afoot and even more famously for his unusually large nose which earned him the nickname, "Schnoz". He led the league in GDP four times in his career. Despite his lack of speed, he was an exceptional offensive player for the era representing the Reds in the all-star game 5 times and winning the National League MVP award while wearing a Reds uni during the 1938 season where he posted a slash line of .342/.391/.524 good for an OPS=.915 and a WAR=5.3. That year he also posted a career high and league leading 30 GDP. Playing in the Coast League in 1948, Ernie Lombardi has the distinction of hitting the longest homerun in the history of Emeryville park.

He has to be considered one of the greatest catchers to ever wear a Reds uniform. Fittingly he was inducted into the Hall of Fame by the Veteran's Committee in 1986 so he also can be considered one of the greatest catchers to ever wear any uniform.

Last edited by jojo; 09-18-2010 at 08:11 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Lombardi was a great catcher. It is also generally believed that his statue runs about as well as Lombardi himself did during his prime.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Speaking of how Dunn rates historically as a rally killer, his 74 GDP places him in a tie for 935th on the all time "doubleplays grounded into" list with former Reds Aaron Boone, Jason LaRue and Eddie Miksis. He probably has no shot at overtaking Cal Ripken for #1 all time (350) nor is it realistic to expect him to overtake Frank Robinson (270), Tony Perez (268), Dave Concepcion (266) and Ernie Lombardi (261) who rank the highest of all former Reds in a logjam at 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th all time.

As anyone who has enjoyed the statues in front of GABP knows, Ernie Lombardi played for the Reds from 1932 through the 1941 seasons. He was known for being exceedingly slow afoot and even more famously for his unusually large nose which earned him the nickname, "Schnoz". He led the league in GDP four times in his career. Despite his lack of speed, he was an exceptional offensive player for the era representing the Reds in the all-star game 5 times and winning the National League MVP award while wearing a Reds uni during the 1938 season where he posted a slash line of .342/.391/.524 good for an OPS=.915 and a WAR=5.3. That year he also posted a career high and league leading 30 GDP. Playing in the Coast League in 1948, Ernie Lombardi has the distinction of hitting the longest homerun in the history of Emeryville park.

He has to be considered one of the greatest catchers to ever wear a Reds uniform. Fittingly he was inducted into the Hall of Fame by the Veteran's Committee in 1986 so he also can be considered one of the greatest catchers to ever wear any uniform.

Nice Post. The Schnozz was a great one. In his MVP season in 1938 he lead the league with 30 GDP.

On a side note, there is an urban legend about Johnny Bench taking his glove off and challenging some young hard throwing pitcher to pitch to him while he caught bare handed. Its funny because before anyone had ever heard of Johnny Bench my father told me that story about Lombardi making that challenge to Johnny Vander Meer.

With Bench and Lombardi having their best years as Red's players (all their years in Bench's case) only the Yankees with Bill Dickey and Yogi Berra can claim having such a great history behind the plate.

As for Dunn and the DP, he probably K's too much to get too high on that list.

Turn Off Ads?