Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FirstInning.com Midseason Top 100 Prospects

FirstInning.com Midseason Top 100 Prospects

31. Yonder Alonso (BA had him at #15)
    56. Todd Frazier
    66. Chris Heisey
    75. Zach Stewart

Travis Wood and Drew Stubbs received votes.

http://firstinning.com/?p=362

I'd move Heisey and Stewart up a little bit but that's just me. If Stubbs can rebound and get his OPS back up over .775 then he'll probably crack the top 100. Mike Leake could potentially sneak in too and maybe Yorman Rodriguez if he continues to play well in the GCL.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: FirstInning.com Midseason Top 100 Prospects

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    31. Yonder Alonso (BA had him at #15)
    56. Todd Frazier
    66. Chris Heisey
    75. Zach Stewart

Travis Wood and Drew Stubbs received votes.

http://firstinning.com/?p=362

I'd move Heisey and Stewart up a little bit but that's just me. If Stubbs can rebound and get his OPS back up over .775 then he'll probably crack the top 100. Mike Leake could potentially sneak in too and maybe Yorman Rodriguez if he continues to play well in the GCL.
    With Alonso, one guy really brought down his ranking when he ranked him in the 80's. Everyone else had him inside the top 25. Frazier and Heisey both missed one ballot, Stewart missed 2 but was inside the top 60 on the others.

Travis Wood had 1 vote and came in at #100 on one ballot. Stubbs was in the 90's on two ballots. I really wanted to vote for Yorman in my Top 100, but decided to leave him off and wait to see how the season wraps up with him and other guys of his ilk (bonus babies with only a few weeks of playing time right now).

Stewart should be between Alonso and Frazier, and as mentioned, Alonso could be a little higher. Other than that, these look about right.
    Go BLUE!!!

Will Carrol said the Reds have no prospects in their entire organization.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Will Carrol said the Reds have no prospects in their entire organization.
    Where did he say that? If he said that, he's a fool.

Doug- did the Reds screw up by picking Yonder ahead of Smoak? Do you have Smoak rated higher than Alonso right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
    Doug- did the Reds screw up by picking Yonder ahead of Smoak? Do you have Smoak rated higher than Alonso right now?
    I had Smoak at 11 and Yonder at 12. They profile very similarly. Both have to prove they can hit lefties still, but both have shown solid plate discipline against them. Overall they have similar bats and overall their defense is comparable right now. All of the 'Smoak is a gold glover' talk was just that. Talk. He may be a little athletic over there, but he isn't all that good over at the bag right now.

I really wanted Smoak, who's not only more athletic, but a switch hitter. I see Alonso as a Sean Casey clone, with perhaps a bit more power. Hope I'm wrong about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
    I do. I admit Alonso looks like he will be a very good hitter, I just don't think it was the right 1st round pick for a NL team. Alonso projects to play only 1 position for the Reds. If the Reds were in the AL where Alonso could DH as well it would make more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I really wanted Smoak, who's not only more athletic, but a switch hitter. I see Alonso as a Sean Casey clone, with perhaps a bit more power. Hope I'm wrong about that.
    I see Alonso as Adrian Gonzalez with better plate discipline. At least before this season where the power has gone from very good to incredible.

So Joey Votto, then?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I do. I admit Alonso looks like he will be a very good hitter, I just don't think it was the right 1st round pick for a NL team. Alonso projects to play only 1 position for the Reds. If the Reds were in the AL where Alonso could DH as well it would make more sense.
    Then you don't. Smoak is only a 1B as well, so you can't really agree that the Reds messed up taking Alonso over Smoak based on the fact that Alonso can only play 1 position for the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Then you don't. Smoak is only a 1B as well, so you can't really agree that the Reds messed up taking Alonso over Smoak based on the fact that Alonso can only play 1 position for the Reds.
    Is Smoak a switch hitter?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    So Joey Votto, then?
    I think he can be better than Joey Votto offensively given Joey Votto having normal luck on balls in play. Votto is a very good hitter, but he isn't a .350/.440/.600 hitter. He is more of a .290/.375/.525 hitter, perhaps slightly better at his peak. I think Alonso can be better than that offensively at his peak.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Is Smoak a switch hitter?
    Yeah, but he struggles to hit lefties to this point in his career.

Turn Off Ads?