Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is wrong with Corcino?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

What is wrong with Corcino?

Getting blown up again tonight.

(Or as Emmitt Smith would say: Getting BLOWED up.)

Any idea if his velocity has dropped? Is this mental? To say I'm concerned would be like saying I'm glad Drew Stubbs is no longer a Red. #understatement

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What is wrong with Corcino?

GameDay shows him throwing just 35 strikes in 64 pitches. So his control seems to be off some.

Extremely disappointing.

Listed at age 22 in AAA. Skipped a level as I recall. Still has a 9.3 K rate (probably before tonight's game).

Patience.

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-25-2013),marcshoe (04-25-2013),Old school 1983 (07-12-2013),Tom Servo (04-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Listed at age 22 in AAA. Skipped a level as I recall. Still has a 9.3 K rate (probably before tonight's game).

Patience.
    Not a fan of spin-doctoring my friend. He should be doing better than this if he's truly one of our top-5 prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Not a fan of spin-doctoring my friend. He should be doing better than this if he's truly one of our top-5 prospects.
    Don't understand what you mean by spin doctoring. I think it's pretty factual that Corcino is 22, won't be 23 till August, is at least two years younger than the typical prospect at AAA, is pitching in his first month of AAA ball, has succeeded at every level, and with it all has a good AAA K rate.

This young man is probably entitled to over a year at this level before we draw any conclusions. As you know, not every prospects dominates every level immediately.

You could easily criticize the Reds for promoting him this high so fast. While he did well at AA he had a high walk rate there, 4.1 per game. Having moved him up, it's unsurprising that he's still having some control problems and is not a finished product.

But none of this detracts from his potential and I'd give him more time. If you think this is spin-doctoring, so be it.

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-25-2013),AtomicDumpling (04-25-2013),OnBaseMachine (04-25-2013),RedlegJake (07-12-2013),Tom Servo (04-25-2013),Wonderful Monds (04-26-2013)

Situation warrants monitoring. Anyone actually watch him on a regular basis?

But big picture I'm not freaking out, growing pains are normal.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'm alarmed.

If his e.r.a. were in the 5.00's. That would be one thing. But it's over 10.00 with a WHIP of 2.36.

Pitchers should have better control/command by the time they get to triple A, IMO.

Is Louisville the best place for him to work it out? Or should he go back to Pensacola and maybe they bring up Sharky Rogers?

Not a good start to the season for the Reds best Dominican pitchers:

Cueto on the DL
    Arredondo demoted to AAA
    Corcino and Guillon struggling big time in their first few minor league starts. (Well, I guess Guillon is actually Venezuelan).

I wouldn't freak out over Corcino given his young age and fast progression. But I would keep an eye on the situation. Fortunately he is not being counted on for any major league plans until at least 2015, when he will still only be 24 on OD, so there is more than plenty of time to work things out. If he continues to struggle through the month of May, I may then start thinking about sending him back to Pensacola to rebuild his confidence.
    Go BLUE!!!

Yeah, to be clear, there's a huge delta between "concerned" and "freaking out." I have the former feeling as it pertains to Corcino. It's a long season, my gut tells me he'll be fine, but I am concerned.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

To add to the big picture. I predicted big things for this minor league season for a lot of players. I really expected many of them to make some serious advances since last year was kind of ho-hum aside from a few like Cingrani.

Seems like a slow start for many Reds minor leaguers so far.

Edit: Oops. But I did want to give Winker some props. Still young and after a slow start, I think he's starting to hit now, isn't he? And isn't Gelalich doing better too?
    Last edited by Vottomatic; 04-25-2013 at 11:45 AM.

Nice start by Daniel yesterday.

Could we get an update from one of you guys in the know on how he has been looking, what to expect in the second half etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    To add to the big picture. I predicted big things for this minor league season for a lot of players. I really expected many of them to make some serious advances since last year was kind of ho-hum aside from a few like Cingrani.

Seems like a slow start for many Reds minor leaguers so far.

Edit: Oops. But I did want to give Winker some props. Still young and after a slow start, I think he's starting to hit now, isn't he? And isn't Gelalich doing better too?
    Gelalich picked it up. Meijas Brean is on fire now too.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...=.jsp&sid=milb
    Last edited by powersackers; 07-12-2013 at 01:03 PM.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Mejias-Brean, Rahier both starting to hit, Diaz in Billings, Stephenson, Ervine, YRod doing better, Corcino looking better last couple starts, Travieso looking like something fell in place. I'm feeling much better about the farm than a month ago.

I saw Corcino pitch one night. It was from the right field bleachers though.

I think I already said this, but his fastball was 90-92. He had a good breaking ball (most of the time) that was about 85ish. He hung one breaking ball that ended up being a grand slam.. He got beat up early in the game (I think he gave up 7 runs), then settled down.

Based on my limited viewing of him, I would agree that he struggles locating pitches. Honestly, I'm not very excited about him (I kind of wonder how he got so highly ranked, even ahead of Cingrani last year)... I think he could end up as a BOR starter for the Reds in a couple of years, but I just don't see massive upside. He does have a nice breaking ball though. (Not brave enough to classify it as a curve or slider )
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

19. Likes:

mace (07-12-2013)

Turn Off Ads?