Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jason Taylor speaks out on Merriman's steroid suspension

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Jason Taylor speaks out on Merriman's steroid suspension

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

He's basically saying he shouldn't even be considered in the voting, if even allowed to play at all. I tend to agree with him on the voting portion.

I wonder how much of this is coming from his heart of hearts and how much he cares about Merriman's effect on America's youth when it comes to steroid use and how much of this is just a campaign for his own Defensive Player of the Year award.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Jason Taylor speaks out on Merriman's steroid suspension

It is probably a little of both. There is little question in my mind that Merriman shouldnt get any votes, considering he only played in 75% of the games, and they seemed to do just fine without him.

Whatever his motives, Taylor's sentiment is correct. It sends the wrong message to allow a guy suspended for steriods to be considered for such awards. I think it was a joke for the Baseball Writers to consider Jason Giambi for the Comeback Player of the Year Award after it had become known that he used steroids. It sends a mixed message that undermines the drug policies of major professional sports.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Whatever his motives, Taylor's sentiment is correct. It sends the wrong message to allow a guy suspended for steriods to be considered for such awards. I think it was a joke for the Baseball Writers to consider Jason Giambi for the Comeback Player of the Year Award after it had become known that he used steroids. It sends a mixed message that undermines the drug policies of major professional sports.
    Exactly! No Defensive Player of the Year and no Pro Bowl s/b the rule. Play clean and you are eligible for all awards.

Jason Taylor, who has been busted at least twice for cheating on his smoking-hot wife, has no business being a moral authority on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    Jason Taylor, who has been busted at least twice for cheating on his smoking-hot wife, has no business being a moral authority on anything.
    Morality has nothing to do with it. Adultery doesn't effect performance. A player gets caught using PERFORMANCE enhancing drugs, then gets an award for his PERFORMANCE, did the drugs, you know, enhance his PERFORMANCE at all? Maybe they should just give the award to the pharmaceutical co. that manufactured the drug he got caught taking.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I don't think Jason Taylor is going to be putting himself up for husband of the year. Merriman wants to be rewarded for the very thing he was caught cheating doing.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Morality has nothing to do with it. Adultery doesn't effect performance. A player gets caught using PERFORMANCE enhancing drugs, then gets an award for his PERFORMANCE, did the drugs, you know, enhance his PERFORMANCE at all? Maybe they should just give the award to the pharmaceutical co. that manufactured the drug he got caught taking.
    I totally agree with what's being said and I don't think Merriman should be given any awards or recognition. I just think that Jason Taylor is the wrong person to be pontificating on what's right and wrong for several reasons.

Turn Off Ads?