Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Do the Bengals have a shot at the playoffs?

Re: Do the Bengals have a shot at the playoffs?

If Pitt can beat Minnesota, then the Bengals can too IMO. Minnesota's defense is bottom tier.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

You may as well start printing playoff tickets if the Bengals beat the Steelers next Sunday. The Bengals are known for late season let downs but I don't think that will happen to this team. The big concern to me is not losing anymore players to serious injuries.

I really think they are going to finish 12-4, 11-5 at worst. It's a team that's built for cold weather also, barring injury I think they could go pretty deep in the playoffs.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I do not say this in support of anyone, but when there is absolutely no whining about Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis respective idiot status right now tells me all I need to know about those who are complaining in a down year. Not so easy to be a wag right now, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    The Bengals, in reality, are 3 games ahead of Baltimore, so that helps. Essentially, five of the AFC's playoff spots are likely secured (New England, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Denver). While there is still a lot of football to play, I see these five getting in. Really, it's New York, Houston, San Diego and Baltimore likely fighting over the last spot. Cincinnati is helped by the fact they essentially lead Baltimore by 3 games because of head-to-head and the division record.

I see Cincinnati going 5-3 the rest of the way (losses to Pitt, Minnesota and San Diego). This will put them 11-5, though I do think 10-6 gets them in too.

The good news is that would make them the division winner, assuming Pittsburgh lost at least three games along the way. The bad news is that it might not be enough for a bye.

I gotta say I don't know that Denver will make it. I know how absurd that sounds after that torrid 6-0 start and they do have the tie-breaker over us but I think San Diego eventually wins that division. After tonight the Chargers will only be a game back, at least I don't think Denver beats Pittsburgh.

NE
    INDY

Pitt
    SD
    Cincy
    ???

I'm thinking Jets, Ravens or Broncos, maybe Houston (I consider them the longshot). We better play well hereon out we have already been beat by 2 of those 4 possible playoff teams and have the NYJ's to go. I don't think Denver makes it but I kinda hope they do. If Pitt wins our Division then I think we'd play at S.D. again in the 1st week and then off to probably INDY.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I do not say this in support of anyone, but when there is absolutely no whining about Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis respective idiot status right now tells me all I need to know about those who are complaining in a down year. Not so easy to be a wag right now, I guess.
    I love the job he's done motivating the team and game-planning but Lewis's clock management, use of time outs, and on-the-fly thinking in the endgame is no better than it's been in the past. He's been bailed out by a couple of miraculous fourth and long plays that turned the Pittsburgh and Cleveland games (after at least one boneheaded spike decision). I have a really tough time believing this won't bite us in the hindquarters down the road, but so far so good.

As for Mike Brown, there's not really much to complain about at this point. The Bengals had by far their best free agency and draft periods in recent memory. The team has taken proactive measures to court disaffected fans. All of this is a paradigm shift from previous seasons. It appears to me that the old dog has learned a new trick or two. I still think the guy is a complete moron, and these apparent changes don't excuse the prior 18 years of mismanagement, but I'm willing to give credit where credit is due.

This team is built a little different than some of the old Bengals teams of the last 5-10 yrs. They have some veterans on the team that work hard and come to play, while also having some young hungry kids wanting to make a name for themselves. This mix of players really drives each other and won't let some of the stuff that happened in the past surface this time. Plus this team is really emphasizing what wins games in the playoffs, running the ball and defense.

I think Carson summed it up best yesterday saying that "we expect to win every week and by more than we won today". This team is confident and confident teams are dangerous. Just ask the Patriots or other successful teams, they expect to win every week.

This team is built to go deep into the playoffs. Can you imagine trying to tackle Cedric Benson on a cold December day. Ball control and defense win playoff games. If the Bengals can weather the injury bug this team could go far in the playoffs. I would expect no less than 11 wins, but I also think Pitts will wind up with 12 wins.

It sure is fun talking Bengals football in November. Most of our conversations in the past have centered on who should we draft with the 4th pick.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I need someone to answer a question for me. The schedule really favors Pittsburgh. With a win over the Bengals on Sunday, they could run the table. They would have to be favored against the Ravens, Green Bay, and Miami.

We still have to play the Chargers, Jets, and Vikings all on the road...brutal.

My question is if we (the Bengals), have only 1 division loss (Pitt this Sunday),and lets say the Ravens win at home to the Steelers, do we still win the division? Or is it overall record? I don't see the Bengals having a better win-loss record at the end of the season...not with the remaining games that both teams have. Thanks
    Last edited by George Foster; 11-10-2009 at 12:16 AM.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Overall record determines the division. Division record is the first tiebreaker. If the Bengals win they will hold the tiebreaker, same if they lose and Pitt splits with Baltimore. It's a nice little boost to the margin for error. It's a free half game in the standings.

Never had a problem with Marvin Lewis.

Mike Brown will have to field a competitive team for quite a few years before I'll give him much credit. It's not impossible that he might have figured things out finally, but I think more likely is that he's stepped back a little behind the scenes.

Something seemed different with this year's draft, I don't remember them ever taking so many players where it seemed fairly clear they were taking the best player available. Seems like they always have a couple of weird reaches, and I've personally always had the feeling those were mostly Mike Brown picks (anyone remember Sean Brewer?).

No NFL game is a gimme, and the Bengals are certainly capable of dropping any game they are favored in, but as far as the games where they will be underdogs I see no reason why they couldn't theoretically beat Pittsburgh, Minnesota, and San Diego.

I actually think the game this weekend is the toughest game left on the schedule. Pittsburgh scares me a lot more than a Vikings team that Baltimore would have beat if their kicker wasn't awful.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Overall record determines the division. Division record is the first tiebreaker. If the Bengals win they will hold the tiebreaker, same if they lose and Pitt splits with Baltimore. It's a nice little boost to the margin for error. It's a free half game in the standings.
    Thanks...but with what you said, I think the Steelers are in the drivers seat for the division. It will be very difficult to beat them at home considering what they just did to Denver and their remaining schedule is pretty weak.

I don't put too much stock into Pitt beating up on Denver tonight. Any team with Kyle Orton at QB is bound to come crashing down to Earth at some point. I think SD ends up winning that division.

The Bengals have beat Pitt once already, no reason they can't again. For whatever reason they've actually fared better in Pittsburgh than at home the last few years. The Steelers are tough, but I don't think The Bengals will be intimidated. They aren't the young, scared team they used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    I don't put too much stock into Pitt beating up on Denver tonight. Any team with Kyle Orton at QB is bound to come crashing down to Earth at some point. I think SD ends up winning that division.

The Bengals have beat Pitt once already, no reason they can't again. For whatever reason they've actually fared better in Pittsburgh than at home the last few years. The Steelers are tough, but I don't think The Bengals will be intimidated. They aren't the young, scared team they used to be.
    Don't get me wrong, I want the Bengals to win on Sunday. If they do, dare I say it would be the biggest win since the Ice Bowl win against the Chargers?
    I think that was their last playoff win...right? Can you think of a bigger win since then? I can't. This game is huge. We could have a 2 game division lead. Hines Ward getting his jaw wired shut would be icing on the cake on Sunday.

Kyle Orton has got to be one of the worst QBs in the NFL. They were completely helpless in the second half, blood in the water with the Steelers playing the role of Jaws.

But what was worse than Orton's QBing was Ron Jaworski's slobbering all over the Steelers. The 2nd Half sounded like an infomercial.

Turn Off Ads?