Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

When I practice chipping around the green I pick a spot and hit four balls at it from three different distances with an 8 iron, trying to land the ball on that spot. Then I do the same thing, except I try to hole the balls (although I think aiming for a spot is better practice because greens vary from course to course). Then I do it again with my sand wedge. Those are pretty much my two clubs around the green because given the amount of time I have to devote to the game (which is little lately), it makes more sense to know those two clubs intimately, than to have only a passing relationship with four.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Deepred05 View Post
    but have found that I do not "break my wrists" on a swing. I cannot do both for some reason. Is this incorrect or correct?
    Could you give me a little more info on this? I don't quite understand your question about your wrists.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I just taught a class of 22 on how to chip. Here's some tips....

1) Keep it simple by flying the ball a short distance on the green allowing for roll.
    2) Set up with your feet very close together
    3) Place the ball off your right toes
    4) Lean the handle forward
    5) Finish low
    6) Finish low
    7) Finish low
    Catching my drift? When you finish you low, you will catch the ball solid. Most amateurs tend to scoop their chips. Allow the club to fall softly down into the fall.

Higher Chips...

1) Ball in the middle of your stance
    2) Hands are in a more neutral position, not so far ahead of the ball
    3) Open clubface a little bit (the more open the higher it'll go)
    4) Get the clubface up and open going back
    5) Finish again with clubface low
    6) If done correctly, the end of the grip will point to your belt buckle at your finish
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Redhook- I am playing this weekend and haven't touched a club since Sept. These tips will be a good mental checklist. Thanks!

Great stuff, Redhook.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I just taught a class of 22 on how to chip. Here's some tips....

1) Keep it simple by flying the ball a short distance on the green allowing for roll.
    2) Set up with your feet very close together
    3) Place the ball off your right toes
    4) Lean the handle forward
    5) Finish low
    6) Finish low
    7) Finish low
    Catching my drift? When you finish you low, you will catch the ball solid. Most amateurs tend to scoop their chips. Allow the club to fall softly down into the fall.

Higher Chips...

1) Ball in the middle of your stance
    2) Hands are in a more neutral position, not so far ahead of the ball
    3) Open clubface a little bit (the more open the higher it'll go)
    4) Get the clubface up and open going back
    5) Finish again with clubface low
    6) If done correctly, the end of the grip will point to your belt buckle at your finish
    This may sound stupid, but what do you mean by finish low. Low follow through?

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    This may sound stupid, but what do you mean by finish low. Low follow through?
    Yes, a low follow-through. Knee height or below.

Some people would define a chip shot as a shot where the clubhead never goes about your waist, back and through. I tend to agree with this for the most part. Anything more could/would be considered a pitch shot.

That being said, to properly chip the ball, your hands should be ahead of the ball at impact. Done properly, you clubhead will finish relatively low to the ground. I like to see the clubhead finish knee height or below for the majority of chip shots. What this ensures (most of the time at least), is you hit down and through the ball, not up on it.

Most amateurs tend to scoop they're chips. This is where the clubhead passes the hands too early and hits the ball on the upswing. This can call a myriad of poor shots. The clubhead is designed to get the ball up in the air. No extra effort is needed from the golfer. It may feel funny or weird at first, but it's imperative to strike down and through the ball on the chip shot to hit the ball properly. Believe it or not, you'd be better off trying to chip the ball low as possible rather than trying to hit it high.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions.

BTW, how nice has the weather been? We deserve it after that long, cold winter. My course, Sharon Woods, is in great shape. The course generally takes a good beating during the year, 50,000+ rounds, but right now it's pretty pure. Very green, lush, and firm. I wish I had the time to play it myself. I'm sure most courses in the city are looking good right now. I'm off to play The Lakes in Columbus Monday and then Coldstream (one of my favorites) the next Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Could you give me a little more info on this? I don't quite understand your question about your wrists.
    I lock my wrists up during my backswing and keep them locked thru the follow thru. This is the only way that I have found to get my whole body into a swing and not to slice.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I have a shot I "invented", definately not something that a pro would show you. Besides, if you can consistently get to the green, then you don't have a need for this shot. If you consistently get *close* to the green, then you might want to give it a try. :-)

For those that have trouble running a ball to the hole from the fringe or just off the green, try this one. Most people pick this up in 1 or 2 swings of the club.

Use your Pitching Wedge.

Stand with your feet 2-3 inches apart, and roughly square/ (find a comfortable stance). Place ball about 4 inches *behind* your back foot.

Your grip will be above your knees, and on the top of the club/grip. The shaft of the club will be about a 45 degree angle from the ball to your hands. Basically the blade of the PW is now about a 10 degree loft now. Square the club by pointing the butt end where you want the ball to go and take a stiff-wristed, arms fully extended, no hip movement what-so-ever, 12" back -pendulum swing- 12" through, and scrape the ball off the turf.

It looks odd, no doubt. However, ...

It's nearly impossible to mis-hit it. Good-bye duffs, two-chips, fliers, skulls, and total lack of confidence. It takes almost no practice to learn, and almost none to maintain.

The ball will get no higher than 6" off the turf, hit the green and roll true. It's easy to align, just point the butt where you want the ball to go and pull the club straight through.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    I have a shot I "invented", definately not something that a pro would show you. Besides, if you can consistently get to the green, then you don't have a need for this shot. If you consistently get *close* to the green, then you might want to give it a try. :-)

For those that have trouble running a ball to the hole from the fringe or just off the green, try this one. Most people pick this up in 1 or 2 swings of the club.

Use your Pitching Wedge.

Stand with your feet 2-3 inches apart, and roughly square/ (find a comfortable stance). Place ball about 4 inches *behind* your back foot.

Your grip will be above your knees, and on the top of the club/grip. The shaft of the club will be about a 45 degree angle from the ball to your hands. Basically the blade of the PW is now about a 10 degree loft now. Square the club by pointing the butt end where you want the ball to go and take a stiff-wristed, arms fully extended, no hip movement what-so-ever, 12" back -pendulum swing- 12" through, and scrape the ball off the turf.

It looks odd, no doubt. However, ...

It's nearly impossible to mis-hit it. Good-bye duffs, two-chips, fliers, skulls, and total lack of confidence. It takes almost no practice to learn, and almost none to maintain.

The ball will get no higher than 6" off the turf, hit the green and roll true. It's easy to align, just point the butt where you want the ball to go and pull the club straight through.

GL
    Not dissimilar to what Dave Pelz teaches at his schools. This ensures you to hit down and through the chip shot, not up on it. A little drastic, but like you said, it ensures a decent shot. This is good for people who really struggle with chipping, or are new to the game and get same to get the basic chip down.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepred05 View Post
    I lock my wrists up during my backswing and keep them locked thru the follow thru. This is the only way that I have found to get my whole body into a swing and not to slice.
    I'm sorry, but I am just not understanding what you're saying. I'll try though.

You're wrists should bend about 90 degrees on your backswing like your about to hit a nail with a hammer. From there it's all about turning through the shot. When you turn and shift your weight, your wrists will unhinge naturally. There's no chance you can keep them locked coming down. So, that's where I'm a little confused. I'm guessing you mean firm wrists, but locking them is another story. Due to the force of the swing, the wrists will unhinge automatically.

Keep the info coming. I'm still curious as to what you're getting at. It still doesn't make much sense to me.

Played today with my brother and two friends in a best ball match and won it on the last two holes with a chip in birdie a 25 foot par putt. It is amazing how the short game goes away over a long layoff. By the back nine, it had come back, but there were a lot of chips and pitches on the front nine that flew past the target.

Went to the range today. There was a man who had to be close to 70 in the space behind me (both right-handed). After finishing a swing I was standing there watching my ball and this dude hits his and it hits me in the side. I was almost 90 degrees from this guy. Luckily it was not going very fast and I barely even felt it, but it was definitely a first.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Went to the range today. There was a man who had to be close to 70 in the space behind me (both right-handed). After finishing a swing I was standing there watching my ball and this dude hits his and it hits me in the side. I was almost 90 degrees from this guy. Luckily it was not going very fast and I barely even felt it, but it was definitely a first.
    The ol' toe shank. Those are sweet. It takes a rare talent to pull the shot off. The ball comes off the club like a cotton ball.

Turn Off Ads?