Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bengals Predictions

Re: Bengals Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Wasn't Marvin Lewis supposed to be some sort of defensive guru when coming up through the coaching ranks? If that is true, it seems odd that these Bengal teams have such poor defenses. I know a coach needs the horses, but I still feel the Bengal D should be further along.
    I've heard this line of reasoning quite often as a criticism of Lewis but it really depends more on the personnel than the coach. You can't invest heavily in both offense and defense and the Bengals have chosen offense. The only way to improve the defense will be with some home runs through the draft.

Keep in mind that Brian Billick was seen as an offensive genius before going to Baltimore and that has always been an anemic offensive team during his tenure.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Running backs are a dime a dozen. Remember when Rudi came out of nowhere to take over the starting job. I hate to use fantasy but when big name RB's go down their backup seems to step in and have a decent season. If your name isn't LT, Alexander, or Larry Johnson I dont think that you are all that unreplaceable.
    True, but the Bengals don't have one on hand. Irons and Perry were supposed to be those backup guys. Other teams tend to have a late round draft pick that is sitting around, ready to go. Kenny Watson and Quincy Wilson are not capable of being a feature back in a pinch. I see visions of the 1994 season running through my mind, with Harold Green as the feature back, getting nicked up and then a collection of yuck. Teams go into the season with "a pair and a spare" Watson and Wilson are spares. Overuse of these two, is like overuse of Mike Stanton.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

If Rudi goes down, they should just offer a 2nd round draft pick to SD for Michael Turner.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    If Rudi Johnson goes down are you comfortable using Kenny Watson, Quincy Wilson, and whatever is left of Chris Perry? Those guys can't carry the load. Teams could drop the safeties into pass protection and without Chris Henry, the Bengals don't make 8-8.
    Yeah, I think Watson would be fine. The Bengals focus on the pass anyway, and as long as the line is healthy I think just about any running back could get four yards a carry back there.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Yeah, I think Watson would be fine. The Bengals focus on the pass anyway, and as long as the line is healthy I think just about any running back could get four yards a carry back there.
    Player......... No Yds Avg Long TD
    Rudi Johnson 341 1309 3.8 22 12

Exept Rudi. Sad thing is I think our line is even worse this year.
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    You have to keep the safeties honest. I see it as a potential train wreck. Kenny Watson has not been very durable either. Rudy didn't average 4 yards last year.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    If Rudi goes down, they should just offer a 2nd round draft pick to SD for Michael Turner.
    Good luck with that. My guess is Turner will likely go for a first round pick, and there would be more suitors than the Bengals willing to part with that.

The way I see it, both games against Cleveland, and the games against Arizona, Buffalo, Tennessee, Miami, and St Louis are must win games. This means that we would need to win at least three games against Baltimore(2x), Pittsburgh(2x), Seattle, New England, KC, New York, and San Francisco. Anything is possible, but we could swing 7-9 or 11-5 either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    Player......... No Yds Avg Long TD
    Rudi Johnson 341 1309 3.8 22 12

Exept Rudi. Sad thing is I think our line is even worse this year.
    I was speaking generally. I'd consider Rudi's season reasonably succesful last year, and I think Watson could match it. Besides durability what is the complaint about Watson anyway? He's about the same size as Rudi and he's always done pretty well in the limited opportunity he's had in his career.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Does Rudi Johnson really scare anyone else in the NFL? He is a serviceable back in the Bengals high octane offense but is certainly not a top 5 back and arguably outside the top ten. His primary advantage is his durability and consistency. He'll play every game and give you around 80 yards on 20-25 carries. Lets be honest: those numbers are far from irreplaceable and I think the combination of Watson/Wilson/Perry could fill in without to big of a drop off if needed.

The Bengals really did nothing to improve their defense over the off-season besides draft Leon Hall. Ahmed Brooks as a savior? Yikes.

Losing Chris Henry for the first 8 games is really going to hurt them. Losing Kenny Irons is really going to hurt them too. Losing Anthony Wright as the #2 QB is going to hurt.

Overall, their roster is thinner than what it was last year. Injuries and lack of depth are going to kill this team.

This first 1/2 of the schedule is a killer and they can't rely on beating the Browns forever. I'd say they'll be 6-10.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

The thing I like about Rudi is that he doesn't cost you any games with what he can do as a running back. Depending on their defensive abilities and strategy, a lot of teams have no problems with specific types of running backs. Some have no problems with finesse backs, and others have no problems with power backs. However, with Rudi, he manages to do just enough almost every game, regardless of the opponent.

When you bring in more of a finesse player like Watson, I think he could have some good games but also some very terrible games. Not only that, but I think it would take at least a couple games for the Bengals to adjust their style of play enough to appropriately incorporate a different type of running game without that complementary kind of back.

The Bengals may not have "improved" over the off-season acquisition-wise, but the young guys have another year of experience and conditioning under them, so I expect a lot of players to be improved in that sense.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    However, with Rudi, he manages to do just enough almost every game, regardless of the opponent.
    I have to disagree with this statement. Rudi rushed for less than 50 yards 4 times last year which includes three divisional games. His five games over 100 yards were primarily against bad rushing defenses (Cleveland, NO, Oakland). I think Rudi is a capable back but he is far from irreplaceable. Also, I doubt we would see Kenny Watson as Rudi's replacement. Quincy Wilson is a Rudi clone and would likely take over if Chris Perry couldn't do it.

Finally, the only way the Bengals win less than 8 games against this schedule is if they lose Palmer for more than a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Losing Kenny Irons is really going to hurt them too. Losing Anthony Wright as the #2 QB is going to hurt.
    I'm sorry but these are rediculous statements. Losing your back up QB is going to hurt you? I think we all agree that if Carson goes down, the season goes down with him regardless of the back up. Also, the Bengals didn't have Kenny Irons or Chris Perry last year and they won 8 games against a more difficult schedule. We didn't have Irons last year and don't know what he would have brought this year so I question whether losing him makes us significantly worse.

Chris Perry was back in camp yesterday. The Bengals are mum about his status, but anecdotally, it seems that he might be back sooner than later. They aren't going to make any difinitive statements until they are sure he's healthy enough to play. If he sets foot on the practice field, they will not be able to place him on PUP.

Willie Anderson vows to be in the lineup against Baltimore, and Levi Jones will probably be ready to go against Atlanta tomorrow.

Jeremi Johnson also made his first appearance since last December.

Things are starting to look up on the injury front.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Turn Off Ads?