Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Cardinals fans' opinion on the Reds

Re: A Cardinals fans' opinion on the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    The Cubs and Cards are clearly the #1 Rivalry right now in the division. But IF the Reds start winning and the Cubs really fall back I truly believe the Reds and Cards could have a heck of a rivalry. Imagine a mid September Saturday Night, St. Louis in town, Reds lead the Division by 1 game over the Cards as they take the field to a sea of Red in the stands. I want it. I'm 19, the closest thing I have seen the Reds to contending was 2006. Sad.
    Hope you're right. Your sense of possibility no doubt has to do with your age and that's great. For those of us of my vintage (Reds fan of 55 years), I have to say there's never been a time when the Cardinals have really been a rivalry for the Reds. And there is a big obstacle to overcome in the established rivalry between Cards and Cubs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I'd agree with this part:

I think the Reds are in pretty good shape for the next 5+ years compared to the rest of the division. That's something to feel good about even if it can't happen soon enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The Cards have Wainwright and Carpenter, Pujols and Holiday. If Bailey, Chapman, Bruce and Votto have everything go right, they probably still won't be as good as the St. Louis core. The Reds best bet is adding Cueto, Volquez and Leake to the mix to make a dominant rotation and dealing off several of the lower ceiling, but still pretty good, near ready guys for one more impact offensive player. If Votto to LF is out, then I doubt we see a day with all three of Votto, Bruce and Alonso in the line-up together. The rest of the offensive guys are several cuts below those three. That's asking for a lot of things that haven't happened yet to go right, but the pieces to the puzzle are mostly there now. The Reds just need to make the right couple of moves to make them fit together and backfill for the ones who don't work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Some good points. But the part of the article that I quoted was referring to every other team in the division except the Cardinals. That said, I think there's a chance that the Reds could fight it out with the Cards for the division starting in 2011. All you have to do is look at the rotations for one reason why. Carpenter and Wainwright are strong but the health of Carpenter isn't exactly the most reliable and I think the Reds could have a better rotation anyway from top to bottom. Add in the payrolls after this season and farm systems and I think the Reds are still in pretty good shape relatively speaking. Throw in the fact that with the wild card the Reds don't need to win the division to make the playoffs and I think we could see the Reds in the hunt for the playoffs in September in the not too distant future.
    1. IMO the Reds are setting themselves up for a multiseason run of strong teams

2. there is no doubt that the "Big Four" of the Cards are indeed mighty big. i would add Molina and make it a big 4&1/2. Molina is an average bat & a gold glove defensive catcher.

3. However, after the big 4&1/2 the Cardinals don't have a single player who can for sure be league average at his position. this is where i think the Reds can overtake them. maybe not in 2010 but soon.

4. check out fangraphs for a recent article on how lucky the Cards pen was last year. their best reliever is Trevor Miller. yikes!

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Hope you're right. Your sense of possibility no doubt has to do with your age and that's great. For those of us of my vintage (Reds fan of 55 years), I have to say there's never been a time when the Cardinals have really been a rivalry for the Reds. And there is a big obstacle to overcome in the established rivalry between Cards and Cubs.
    It's hard to have a rivalry if you haven't been very good. There are natural rivalries like Cards-Cubs, but there was no natural reason for the Reds-Dodgers rivalry in the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Hmmm. Well I think it can be a rivalry. St. Louis is know for being the base baseball town in America. There was a time when Cincinnati was right there with them if not ahead. I can see a rivalry, have Homer Bailey drill Albert P. in the back, have a scuffle and there ya go.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    It's hard to have a rivalry if you haven't been very good. There are natural rivalries like Cards-Cubs, but there was no natural reason for the Reds-Dodgers rivalry in the 70s.
    Reds-Dodgers were already a rivalry in the 50's. That's when everybody in the NL hated the Dodgers because they were sort of the National League version of the Yankees. Rivalry in the 70's was rooted in the earlier one. That's part of the problem; you can't make a rivalry, it's got to grow over a number of years. That's what some of us who miss playing all the teams in the NL miss most.

[QUOTE=HokieRed;2032890]Reds-Dodgers were already a rivalry in the 50's. That's when everybody in the NL hated the Dodgers because they were sort of the National League version of the Yankees. Rivalry in the 70's was rooted in the earlier one. That's part of the problem; you can't make a rivalry, it's got to grow over a number of years. That's what some of us who miss playing all the teams in the NL miss most.[/QUOTE]

I'm in agreement with this.

I miss the old Reds/Dodgers rivalries. Those were fun. Loved to hate LaSoirdid

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    Hmmm. Well I think it can be a rivalry. St. Louis is know for being the base baseball town in America. There was a time when Cincinnati was right there with them if not ahead. I can see a rivalry, have Homer Bailey drill Albert P. in the back, have a scuffle and there ya go.

I think it takes a little bit more than that to create a rivalry.

Rivalry or no rivalry, I hate the Cardinals. I hate LaRussa. I hate their hitting coach. I hate their first baseman.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I think it takes a little bit more than that to create a rivalry.
    How about if Arroyo tosses one of those, what was that, tar ball? Well, anyway, Arroyo let one loose on Duncan? That might do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Rivalry or no rivalry, I hate the Cardinals. I hate LaRussa. I hate their hitting coach. I hate their first baseman.
    I'll drink to that. LaRussa is like an alcoholic stalker who fell in sick love with destroying our lives as a result of being embarassed in the 1990 World Series. He has spent the balance of his career knowingly protecting steroid cheaters and micromanaging the game to the point that 60% of the world has no tolerance for all the pitching changes, double switches and defensive replacements that turn the modern game into a four hour bore-fest on any given night. Casual fans just don't like the game as much as it did before this "genius" wielded his curse over the modern game. No single Cardinal team, including the Gas House Gang or the current group of villians, remotely approaches the best teams our organization has fielded in it's history. And yet we constantly have to endure the media's fawning over the storied history of that organization as if they are the National League version of the New York Yankees. I don't care what they think of us, I have enough reason to go down to GAB every time the Deadbirds come to town hoping to see the good guys beat the leaving snot out of them.

Just don't charge me "premium game" prices for doing so. I didn't have to pay them to see the Dodgers in the 70's, and these Cardinal clubs are no better than those also-rans...
    Last edited by Phhhl; 03-07-2010 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post
    I'll drink to that. LaRussa is like an alcoholic stalker who fell in sick love with destroying our lives as a result of being embarassed in the 1990 World Series. He has spent the balance of his career knowingly protecting steroid cheaters and micromanaging the game to the point that 60% of the world has no tolerance for all the pitching changes, double switches and defensive replacements that turn the modern game into a four hour bore-fest on any given night. Casual fans just don't like the game as much as it did before this "genius" wielded his curse over the modern game. No single Cardinal team, including the Gas House Gang or the current group of villians, remotely approaches the best teams our organization has fielded in it's history. And yet we constantly have to endure the media's fawning over the storied history of that organization as if they are the National League version of the New York Yankees. I don't care what they think of us, I have enough reason to go down to GAB every time the Deadbirds come to town hoping to see the good guys beat the leaving snot out of them.

Just don't charge me "premium game" prices for doing so. I didn't have to pay them to see the Dodgers in the 70's, and these Cardinal clubs are no better than those also-rans...
    I think that's unfair. St. Louis has had some pretty good teams through the years with some pretty good players and few HOF players.

JMHO
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-08-2010 at 02:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I think that's unfair. St. Louis has had some pretty good teams through the years with some pretty good players and few HOF players.

JMHO
    It's true though... The best Reds team of all time is widely considered one of the two best teams to every play the game... Not sure you would see a single Cardinals team in the top 10...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

I believe the soon to be rivalry will be Cincy and Milwaukee. The Cards have a big future gap in talent to come.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I believe the soon to be rivalry will be Cincy and Milwaukee. The Cards have a big future gap in talent to come.
    I'm not so sure Milwaukee is going to stay at a top level. I'm not sold on their pitching and I think Fielder may eat his way out of baseball before too long.

By the way, how ironic is it that LaRussa, who has single handedly made baseball games way too long, was put on the panel looking into making baseball games shorter? Next, he will be put on a PED's panel. Or an alcohol awareness panel. You get my point.
    Where we gonna go?

Turn Off Ads?