Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Chicago Trip

Chicago Trip

Going to Chicago for the first time since I was a wee Rojo and I'm looking for help on reducing my hotel bill.

There's only two things I really care about: location and price. I don't want to stay at the airport but I don't want to pay $300/night either.

Anyone know of a neighborhood that's cheaper than the Loop/Downtown but stilll pretty close to it all (or at least real accessibly by transit)?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chicago Trip

Honestly, there's plenty of hotels downtown for less than $100 per night on the less crazy weekends. Are you expecting to do better than that?

I've had good luck with Priceline. The last time that I went to Chicago for the weekend I ended up at the Hyatt Regency and if memory serves correct I only ended up paying around $70 a night after taxes and surcharges. Parking was ungodly expensive, but that is sort of to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Honestly, there's plenty of hotels downtown for less than $100 per night on the less crazy weekends. Are you expecting to do better than that?
    $100 would be ok. The lowest I'm seeing is $130. It's the first weekend of the Cubs at home. So that might be the best I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    I've had good luck with Priceline. The last time that I went to Chicago for the weekend I ended up at the Hyatt Regency and if memory serves correct I only ended up paying around $70 a night after taxes and surcharges. Parking was ungodly expensive, but that is sort of to be expected.
    Hadn't tried Priceline yet. I'll give it a whirl.

I'll second Priceline. We tried a few times (there are some good tips out there on how to modify your offer by star, location, etc. based on the hotels that are actually located in the areas you're bidding in) and got a great hotel 2 blocks off the mile and about a block-block and a half from Northwestern Law for ~$100. Great spot. Absolutely LOVE Chicago.

There's a Best Western in the south loop that is usually quite reasonably priced.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I stayed out in Elmhurst or something and rode the train into town. Wasn't a great solution, because the train kind of sucks, but at $300/night plus parking, downtown was too pricey.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Priceline name your own price is always great for me. I live in the Chicago suburbs and use it often when we go downtown for a night. Can usually get hotels for 60-70 per night during the winter and 90-100 during the spring/summer. I usually take whatever priceline says is the average and try for about 60% of that price for an initial bid. Then use multiple credit cards and email address between my wife and I to try and bid up slowly on the same bid criteria.

I'd target staying in the Grant Park or River North areas. All the hotels there should be a decently close walk to the red line which gets you most places you need to go.

And if worse comes to worst you can always stay up by O'Hare. Lots of 3-4 star hotels that are really cheap via Priceline bids on weekends. The blue lines goes in from up there to the city and isn't too bad of a trip.

Let me know if you have any other questions! I use priceline a ton and have lots of experience in downtown Chicago with hotels and neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    Depending on how far you're willing to walk and how often you need to access your car, 500 W. Monroe garage offers all day Saturday/Sunday parking for $6/day. I haven't found anywhere else to beat it. Especially during the summer it's right next to Union Station and the water taxi that will take you over to Michigan for a few bucks per person. Nice trip down the river and great for out of towners to see a little of the city without paying $30-40 for a city river cruise.

Also, the Prudential Plaza is 2-3 blocks from that Hyatt and offers weekend parking for $12/night (last time I parked there was last winter so it may have gone up). Sure beats that $50/night at the Hyatt.

And if you need parking in the River North area check out this garage - http://www.greenwayselfpark.com/buyonline/. Cheap advance purchase parking for a night out in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    Depending on how far you're willing to walk and how often you need to access your car, 500 W. Monroe garage offers all day Saturday/Sunday parking for $6/day. I haven't found anywhere else to beat it. Especially during the summer it's right next to Union Station and the water taxi that will take you over to Michigan for a few bucks per person. Nice trip down the river and great for out of towners to see a little of the city without paying $30-40 for a city river cruise.

Also, the Prudential Plaza is 2-3 blocks from that Hyatt and offers weekend parking for $12/night (last time I parked there was last winter so it may have gone up). Sure beats that $50/night at the Hyatt.

And if you need parking in the River North area check out this garage - http://www.greenwayselfpark.com/buyonline/. Cheap advance purchase parking for a night out in that area.
    Thanks for the tip. I ended up dropping my wife off at the hotel and parked the car at Navy Pier for the duration of the trip. If memory serves it was $20ish per day, which which seemed like a bargain compared to $50 per day at the Hyatt but nowhere near as good as the places you suggested.

Chicago is fun. You'll have a great time!
    "Rounding Third and Heading for Home"

Turn Off Ads?