Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castro to DL, Stone DFA, McBeth sent down

Senor Votto

Castro to DL, Stone DFA, McBeth sent down

Another Thread from the ORG

Today the Reds placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to Friday, IF Juan Castro (sprained right elbow);

optioned to Louisville RHP Marcus McBeth;

designated for assignment RHP Ricky Stone;

recalled from Louisville RHP Kirk Saarloos and IF Jeff Keppinger;

returned from a rehabilitation assignment and reinstated from the 15-day disabled list RHP Jared Burton (low back spasms).
    I like all these moves except sending McBeth down.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    got alil captain in u?

Re: Castro to DL, Stone DFA, McBeth sent down

he's not getting much work as of lately having catsro gone is a big plus.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07 View Post
    he's not getting much work as of lately having catsro gone is a big plus.
    Yeah, McBeth has been pretty unlucky as other posters have said.

I know I am in the minority here, but I love Juan Castro. Every teams needs a slick glove on the bench and he is one of the best. He also is one of the smartest players on the team. The problem is that with 12 pitchers and three catchers, he was pushed into pinch hitting way too often. I personally think that the Reds should go to 11 pitchers. It's not like they have too many good relievers to choose from. This would allow them to keep Kepp and Castro, which I think will help them win more games than having a mediocre reliever that the manager doesn't trust anyway (Cormier, Burton, McBeth, Salmon, Gosling....).

Problem is Castro is not long slick with a glove, he has lost a lot of range and boots what he can get too

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    Problem is Castro is not long slick with a glove, he has lost a lot of range and boots what he can get too
    Did you see him play shortstop the other day? He was outstanding. Made an incredible double play. It was on ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I know I am in the minority here, but I love Juan Castro. Every teams needs a slick glove on the bench and he is one of the best.
    I hate to be the one to tell you this but Castro is far from "one of the best." As you can see below he trails both Freel and Encarnacion in all three of the key defensive measures (FPCT, RF, ZR). I do think he provides value as a coach to Encarnacion but he shouldn't be taking up a roster spot. He is living off a defensive reputation from several years ago.

Code:
    NAME 			INN	TC	PO	A	E	DP	FPCT	RF	ZR
    Ryan Freel		104.2	43	16	25	2	3	.953	3.56	.774
    Edwin Encarnacion	583.0	168	65	94	9	6	.946	2.45	.768
    Juan Castro		64.0	18	8	9	1	0	.944	2.39	.688

FPCT	Fielding Pct.((PO + A) divided by (PO + A + E))
    RF	Range Factor ((PO + A) divided by innings)
    ZR	Zone rating. The percentage of balls fielded by a player in his typical defensive "zone,"

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    I hate to be the one to tell you this but Castro is far from "one of the best." As you can see below he trails both Freel and Encarnacion in all three of the key defensive measures (FPCT, RF, ZR). I do think he provides value as a coach to Encarnacion but he shouldn't be taking up a roster spot. He is living off a defensive reputation from several years ago.

Code:
    NAME 			INN	TC	PO	A	E	DP	FPCT	RF	ZR
    Ryan Freel		104.2	43	16	25	2	3	.953	3.56	.774
    Edwin Encarnacion	583.0	168	65	94	9	6	.946	2.45	.768
    Juan Castro		64.0	18	8	9	1	0	.944	2.39	.688

FPCT	Fielding Pct.((PO + A) divided by (PO + A + E))
    RF	Range Factor ((PO + A) divided by innings)
    ZR	Zone rating. The percentage of balls fielded by a player in his typical defensive "zone,"
    Anyone who has played baseball on a competive level will tell you that fielding stats are meaningless, absolutely completely meaningless. Ozzie Smith is not one of the best shortstops according to stats. The only way to judge fielders is by watching them on a daily basis.
    You have just proved that fielding stats are meaningless. No one in their right mind, after having watched the Reds all year, can believe that EE is a better fielder than Castro.
    And regardless, even if you don't like Castro, the main point is that the Reds need a good fielding glove man on the bench, and keeping 12 pitchers makes that harder to do.
    Last edited by 757690; 07-07-2007 at 04:43 PM.

And regardless, even if you don't like Castro, the main point is that the Reds need a good fielding glove man on the bench, and keeping 12 pitchers makes that harder to do.
    But you are one of the few that still seems to believe this. You even admitted that by pointing out that you are "in the minority around here" in a previous post. Defensive stats are less than ideal but in this situation they do seem to match reality.

Even if we assume that Castro is a better defender than EE (I don't agree) what are we trying to accomplish by bringing him in as a defensive replacement? Do we hope to finish 5th place instead of 6th? In the long term we're much better off leaving EE in to get his reps than replacing him with Castro. Regardless the promotion of Keppinger provides offensive strength to the bench something we were lacking with Castro.

My point is that a good major league team should have both a Castro and a Kepp on the team. Good major league teams always have a glove man on the bench.
    And this 12 man pitching staff is a new idea. I grew up with the decision every year was to have 10 or 11 pitchers on a staff. The Rockies in the mid 90's were the first to have 12, and we ridiculed for it. Now everyone does it. It would make sense if the Reds had good choices to choose from. Clearly, they don't. They could send down Gosling or Saarloos, and it wouldn't make much of a difference.
    As for being in the minority, that has no bearing on the validity of my point.

My point is that a good major league team should have both a Castro and a Kepp on the team.
    The Reds are not a good team and do not need a late inning defensive replacement (Reds are in a position to hold the lead once every week.) and need someone who can pinch hit and knock in runs.

part of BBN

Hi reds fans.
    First post. My thoughts on Castro are.....yes sometimes it is good to have a defensive guy come in late but with this team, most of the time we need a bat late and not a glove.Therefore Castro's spot isnt utilized the way it would be on most teams.

I know I am in the minority here, but I love Juan Castro.

Leave.

Did I miss something here 3 moves out, 2 moves up. What's the third move up or did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Meat View Post
    Did I miss something here 3 moves out, 2 moves up. What's the third move up or did I miss something?
    OOPS i found it Burton back up.

Turn Off Ads?