Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Overused Thread/Post, Dusty's missuse of Pitchers...

Overused Thread/Post, Dusty's missuse of Pitchers...

Hey all,

I just wanted to point out Dustys missuse of Starters again...

Harang has 4 hits, 1 run allowed through 7 IP, I said to myself, ok Dusty, Aaron has 95 Pitches and has thrown really well... Lets go to the Penn...

It is like Dusty is trying to make this team fail... Left Harang out there to give up 3 consecutive singles... Then pulls him...

I am not doing the arm chair manager thing here, I am just saying this guy is ruining, pitchers, games, and this season was interesting up until the ALL-Star Break...

Tonight is a perfect example of why Dusty needs to go... He needs to Manage a Vetran Team, not this team... I wish this team would go out and get Leo Mazzone as the Pitching Coach and a guy like Orel Herschiser to Manage, someone who could work the pitchers successfully and Add a Hitting Coach like Hal McRae to help these guys hit the damn Ball...

Dusty Ball does not work.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Overused Thread/Post, Dusty's missuse of Pitchers...

dusty really hates taking a pitcher out before 100 pitches. I think deep down he wants to prove to the world that pitchers should be able to go 120+ every night. Hes just stubborn.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Hes just stubborn.
    Regarding hitting Taveras/Gonzalez 1/2, for some time I actually wavered between two possibilities. Either:

(1) he's an abject moron, or

(2) he's dirt mule-stubborn (and this is his way of sticking it to his critics).

I belatedly had the epiphany that stupidity and stubbornness aren't mutually exclusive, they're usually related.

Not PHing for Harang with the bases loaded is case in point.

At this point in his career, Harang may be able to give you 6 or 7 decent innings. After 7 IP today (especially with a four-run lead), it was a no-brainer to PH for him. Save his arm for the next start.

He ain't the workhorse he once was. Toothpick, of course, will be the last to figure that out.
    Last edited by malcontent; 08-09-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Dusty wants to do things his way until they work so he can remind us that they worked. Thats why he gets so defensive when the press ask him why so and so player isnt playing. He gets completely upset. Hes just hard headed. I think thats the most logical explanation for why he does things.

What manager would take out a pitcher who has pitched 7 innings, given up 5 hits, and K'd however many AH did with only 95 pitches on his count. . . . especially with the way Aaron has pitched lately.

I think you're grasping at straws for taking him out.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    What manager would take out a pitcher who has pitched 7 innings, given up 5 hits, and K'd however many AH did with only 95 pitches on his count. . . . especially with the way Aaron has pitched lately.

I think you're grasping at straws for taking him out.
    I might agree with this except for Harang came up in the top of the 8th with bases loaded and 2 outs. That was a perfect opportunity to get him out of there for a pinch hitter with the hopes of driving in a run or two.

wait... i didn't see the game at all today, but judging from hondo's description, it sounds like he shouldn't have taken him out until he did. harang has been struggling lately and if he's finally having a good game why take him out early? it's not like we are playing for wins or losses anymore. let harang pitch until he obviously cannot go on anymore

I don't see an issue with sending him back out there. Now Ownings would have been a different story. Cueto too. Cueto's innings should be limited at this point.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Hey all,

I just wanted to point out Dustys missuse of Starters again...

Harang has 4 hits, 1 run allowed through 7 IP, I said to myself, ok Dusty, Aaron has 95 Pitches and has thrown really well... Lets go to the Penn...

It is like Dusty is trying to make this team fail... Left Harang out there to give up 3 consecutive singles... Then pulls him...

I am not doing the arm chair manager thing here, I am just saying this guy is ruining, pitchers, games, and this season was interesting up until the ALL-Star Break...

Tonight is a perfect example of why Dusty needs to go... He needs to Manage a Vetran Team, not this team... I wish this team would go out and get Leo Mazzone as the Pitching Coach and a guy like Orel Herschiser to Manage, someone who could work the pitchers successfully and Add a Hitting Coach like Hal McRae to help these guys hit the damn Ball...

Dusty Ball does not work.
    I think he saw Harang finally had a chance to win and wanted to give him the best chance to make it happen for himself-he hasnt gotten any support from hsi temmates trying to win the last few months. I dont think it was a bad move or decision at all. There are plenty of other things wrong to blast on, but I dont think this is one.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Harang had a 4 run lead with 2 innings to go... Dusty thought Harang was going to hold a lead better than a bullpen with the 4th lowest ERA, and the highest save percentage in the majors? Dusty distrust his bullpen that much?

Think it was more of a tool to build Harangs confidence back up, let him handle his business, his game to win or lose. I have no problem with it, since it worked
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

It worked, but its not like he didnt load the bases on 3 straight batters. I dont know I would go as far to say it worked. It's more like they got out of it with only allowing 1 run. Sending Harang back out there really didnt work at all.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Harang had a 4 run lead with 2 innings to go... Dusty thought Harang was going to hold a lead better than a bullpen with the 4th lowest ERA, and the highest save percentage in the majors? Dusty distrust his bullpen that much?
    Or maybe Dusty thought that Harang had found a groove, his fastball still had life and he was going to let him try and take it home. Dusty probably thought Harang was the devil he knew that night.....He ended up being wrong, but still...

I'm not really saying dont send him back out there but he chose to not pinch hit for Harang with the bases loaded, with 95 pitches, and a 4 run lead. What is the harm saying good game and taking him out and sending up a batter who could drive in some runs maybe? If Harang wasnt due up until the next inning or something I really dont have a problem with it, but I certainly would have had a reliever up and throwing before Harang even took the mound. I have to question the thought process behind the move. Something I end up doing way too much it seems.

Turn Off Ads?