Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pirates home attendance down. Why?

Pirates home attendance down. Why?

The Pittsburgh Pirates attendance is down by almost 26K from this time last season. Not real sure why. Great ballpark. Good product on the field.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pirates home attendance down. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    The Pittsburgh Pirates attendance is down by almost 26K from this time last season. Not real sure why. Great ballpark. Good product on the field.
    Chapman buzzed the fan base and scared them off? All three of them that is...
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Probably are a little jaded by late season swoons recently.

Is that a big number though? Could that be skewed by playing fewer home games so far or something?

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

bad weather, terrible economy, school not out yet, bad parking around the park, terrible neighborhood, beer cheaper at home, no hi def replays in stadium, no instant replay of close calls. Wait, I jest. Those are reasons we don't go to GABP.

Pittsburghers are probably just waiting for them to implode again. I don't think the Pirates will this time, they have a solid club. Attendance is always better a year after a team does well, like the Reds attendance has picked up this year.

It's Pittsburgh...

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Attendance is always better a year after a team does well, like the Reds attendance has picked up this year.
    This.

The Reds attendance wasn't so hot in 2010 as they won the division, takes a few years of not stinking it up to get people into the park on a regular basis, and the Pirates have 2 decades of crap to overcome.

They will be fine.
    Go Gators!

Not trusting that this is real, and the Penguins were playing deeper this year than last.

We sold out the last three home games.

Penguins. The weather was very bad for a very long time. I don't know if people outside Pittsburgh realize how much it rains here.

However, is 26K really a lot? That's one good game or maybe one mediocre series. I remember the Pirates' schedule being heavily skewed away in the second half of last season, which means they had a lot of home games in the first half of 2012. (edit: wonderful monds mentioned this.)

Also, "it's Pittsburgh" is not a legit answer. This is a great city with a terrific ballpark. People go out here, and have, by virtue of that ballpark, kept it fuller than most teams would have given the state of the team the last two decades.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 06-22-2013 at 12:46 AM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

10. Likes:

Hoosier Red (06-22-2013),Redlegs (06-22-2013),Wonderful Monds (06-22-2013)

"So Fla Red"

The Pirates have drawn over 2.1M once in franchise history. There is no history of Pirate fans supporting the franchise even in good times. It's a three team professional town in a two town population base that loves football.

They should be one of the few teams that should still have a bump from their home stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    The Pirates have drawn over 2.1M once in franchise history. There is no history of Pirate fans supporting the franchise even in good times. It's a three team professional town in a two town population base that loves football.

They should be one of the few teams that should still have a bump from their home stadium.
    Yeah, I stand corrected. I looked up the figures and attendance has been spotty through PNC's history. I guess it just feels fuller because it's tiny

Still a great town though. They'll draw more through the summer without Penguins competition. People were clamoring to see hockey with the shortened season.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

"So Fla Red"

Pittsburgh is a very underrated city. Nice town.

"So Fla Red"

IIRC, the Pirates had empty seats in the classic 1990 NLCS.

Pittsburgh is a very underrated city. Nice town.
    Agreed. I had a unfounded hate for the city because of the Steelers, but several years ago I moved to Zanesville. The drive is actually shorter there than it is to Cincinnati. (not by a whole lot) I've only been twice, but I really dig the Gothic architecture, the tunnel, and the ballpark. (I was pretty underwhelmed by Primati Brothers, but I'm sure people there wonder why we love Chilli so much)

I just feel like the city as a lot of character. It certainly doesn't compete with my love for Cincy, but I prefer it over Columbus and Cleveland. Columbus is too fanatical for OSU and I'm a big Buckeye fan, and it lacks a certain cohesiveness that Cincy and Pitt seem to have. Also, Columbus has become a mecca for governmental workers. (Obviously) Cleveland, haven't spend a ton of time in, but I prefer the southern hospitality of Cincy to Cleveland's northeastern gruff.

I can attest to this. I was a junior at Ohio University, and a guy (a fellow Reds fan) in one of my morning math classes told me he had tickets for Game 4 that night in Pittsburgh. I that was so cool!

Later that afternoon, I got home and told my roommate about it, and he said in a matter-of-fact way, "Why don't we go?" I was surprised--he was a Cubs fan from Naperville, IL--but he seemed genuinely interested in going. I said, "It's 4:00! The game starts at 8:00!" He replied, "I can get us there in time." Then I said, "We don't have tickets!" He said, "We'll get some when we get there." Everything seemed so spontaneous (a little more spontaneous than I was accustomed to, as I am more methodical by nature). I thought about it for a second, and said to myself, "How many times will you get a chance to do this? You only live once." Then I told him, "Let's do it!" We called another buddy (a Yankees/Steelers fan from Allentown, PA), and by 4:15 we were on the road!

We had no trouble getting tickets, though parking was a little more problematic. We ended up parking in the loading dock of a Kaufmann's department store, and buying tickets in the next to last row of the upper deck of Three Rivers Stadium from a scalper for $40 apiece (face value was $25). It was the greatest game I've ever attended! An obviously inebriated Bobby Vinton ("The Polish Prince of Pittsburgh") butchered the Star-Spangled Banner as we entered the stadium. (CBS broadcaster Jack Buck was later reprimanded when he called Vinton out on his performance by saying, "Well, when you're Polish and in Pittsburgh, I guess you can get away with anything.") Jose Rijo and the Nasty Boys duo of Myers and Dibble pitched an excellent game in the 5-3 win, Sabo and O'Neill both homered, but the highlight was when Eric Davis (playing LF) ran all the way into CF to back up Billy Hatcher on a ball hit off the wall by Bobby Bonilla and then threw Bonilla out when he tried to stretch it into a triple!

I later asked my roommate why he was so interested in making this last-minute roadtrip happen, especially since he was a Cubs fan and had no real rooting interest in the game (though he did root for the Reds that night). He said that there were two reasons. First, he was a sports fan, and the playoffs are just an exciting thing to witness. And second (and more importantly, he said), he knew how much it would mean for me to be there. I didn't know what to say, and I must admit I got a little choked up about that.

As the years have gone by, our paths have diverged, and we rarely get a chance to talk anymore--sometimes going years at a time. But the events of October 9, 1990 will always be etched in my memory.

So Karl, if you're out there...Thanks, Big Guy!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

17. Likes:

Always Red (06-22-2013),cumberlandreds (06-22-2013),TOBTTReds (06-22-2013),Tom Servo (06-22-2013)

As did the Reds in 95.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?