Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: USMNT: The March to Brazil - World Cup 2014

Re: USMNT: The March to Brazil - World Cup 2014

What I have gleaned in the last few years is that top youth clubs (wherever they are - South America or Europe) set technical objectives for kids. Just like school you are expected to learn certain skills at a certain age. The earlier you learn those things, the sooner you can move onto more advanced technical skills. Conversely, if you don't learn them, you don't continue to compete at the same level. Coaches know the objectives they have for player for each team each year.
    The biggest difference between the US and the rest of the world that I see is that soccer coaches command more authority and respect everywhere else in the world. We have parents coaching kids until 10 years old in most parts of the US. That does not happen in the rest of the world. Coaches are trained, and even more than that, they are committed to analyzing and understanding the game, even obsessed with soccer. They are always trying to figure out how to teach the game better. Contrast this approach with US parent coaches who are trying to make sure who brings the juice boxes on a particular day, why little Johnny is not himself today and whether the other parents are happy with the experience their kids are having.
    People don't follow soccer the same way in the US as they do in the rest of the world.
    Do you know who is regarded as the best player in the world - outside the US, and the UK? Not Messi, not Ronaldo. Xavi. He is displayed as the ideal player for his unique ability to see the field and to use this to break down defenses. He doesn't score the most goals, but his passing frequency and passing accuracy and his defense splitting passing are unique. He is not an athlete like Kobe Bryant nor has the dribbing ability of Messi but he is the key to Barca's tiki taka.
    His head is on a swivel, and more and more analysts are looking at how often he checks off different parts of the field before receiving a pass and trying to quantify that skill. They are doing it because it is so valuable to his ability to complete accurate passes. They want to quantify it so they can emphasize it and teach it to kids.
    People appreciate Meszut Ozil, but at Real Madrid Luka Modric took his position away because he completes more passes and like Xavi, looks around many times before he receives the ball. Ozil has beautiful touch, but Modric was far more industrious and successful at passing which is why the Great Zidane, who works for Real Madrid, gave his blessing to releasing Ozil.
    Everyone is looking for the new Xavi, with his vision and relentlessly active head on a swivel.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    To me though, the difference isn't who is playing, but how we play. Soccer for American kids is an exclusively team/club sport. It is not a "street" or "pick-up" game for them. Teams tend to be regimented and drum out the creative genius that soccer needs to overcome the structure of the game.
    This, a thousand times over. The way our kids are playing is WAY too structured.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread
    What I have gleaned in the last few years is that top youth clubs (wherever they are - South America or Europe) set technical objectives for kids. Just like school you are expected to learn certain skills at a certain age. The earlier you learn those things, the sooner you can move onto more advanced technical skills.
    First touch is most critical thing in soccer. It's the technical foundation for everything else and yet a lot of our coaching skips right over it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Actually, if you look carefully around the US, you see these games everywhere, but they are played by our immigrant communities. Perhaps that is where we will see our big soccer jump.
    Have you watched the U-20 team? It is almost entirely Hispanic.

IF a country like Uruguay with 3.5 million people at best.......can produce soccer players and teams ....that even more so now are competing in tournaments and have players signing with big European clubs while their domestic leagues are fast becoming second tier in the Americas...I think the US can find more than enough players to develop and take their game to the next level.

2010 Wolrd Cup (4th Place)
    2011 Copa America Winners (15th title, #1 all time)
    2011 U-17 WC Final, lost to Mexico 2-0...in Mexico
    2013 U-20 EC Final, Lost to France in penalty shootout.
    2013 Confed Cup (4th Place, lost to Italy in Penalty Shootout)

Only South American team to make both U-17 and U-20 WC the last 4 years in a row.

3.5 million people... that is a small city in the US...no reason it cannot get done.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post

3.5 million people... that is a small city in the US...no reason it cannot get done.
    Sorry to nitpick, but there are only 2 cities in the US that have over 3 million people.

New York and LA.

There are only 4 over 2 million.

New York, LA, Chicago and Houston.

Carry on with OT.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Sorry to nitpick, but there are only 2 cities in the US that have over 3 million people.

New York and LA.

Carry on with OT.

Not nitpicking since it is true.......still should be enough to create a team good enough to advance in a WC to at least the final four.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

New York and LA.

Carry on with OT.
    The working standard when talking about a city's population is the Metropolitan Statistical Area (city plus suburbs). There are 32 of those in the U.S. with 2+ million, 16 with a population larger than Uruguay.

Though it should be noted that Uruguay is almost singularly focused on soccer. It doesn't turn out major athletes in any other sport. Being nestled between two of the sport's superpowers (Argentina and Brazil) also helps. That's a big reason why Uruguay manages to be freakishly good at this sport.

US gets another result against Jamaica to secure top spot in the Hex. The team seemed flat in the first half, but came on strong in the second half to win 2-0. Meanwhile Honduras clinches a spot in the top 4 with their win over Costa Rica. Next up, Mexico tries to get their first win at Azteca for the cycle.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

The bicycle kick by Mexico's Raul Jimenez to beat Panama tonight was outrageous. One of the best you'll ever see.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The bicycle kick by Mexico's Raul Jimenez to beat Panama tonight was outrageous. One of the best you'll ever see.
    That was pretty fancy, and it most likely earned Mexico the playoff spot for the World Cup. Panama now has to beat the US and hope Costa Rica can beat Mexico enough to swing the goal differential Panama's way.

So now that the US has locked up the top spot in the Hex, do they send the B squad to Panama? I guess last night was already somewhat of a B squad with all the injuries. I don't advocate tanking the match to help Panama and screw Mexico, but I think it's good that Klinsman has been working more guys into the lineup to get experience. Depth has always been a problem with the USMNT, so the more experience our subs get, the better.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'd love to see more of Aron Johannsson in the next match -- he missed on a couple of great opportunities, but the fact he was able to create those opportunities off the first touch in the 18 makes me excited to see what he can do.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post

So now that the US has locked up the top spot in the Hex, do they send the B squad to Panama? I guess last night was already somewhat of a B squad with all the injuries. I don't advocate tanking the match to help Panama and screw Mexico, but I think it's good that Klinsman has been working more guys into the lineup to get experience. Depth has always been a problem with the USMNT, so the more experience our subs get, the better.
    Nah. There's still the tiniest of tiny chances we could work our way into a seed for the WC.

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    Nah. There's still the tiniest of tiny chances we could work our way into a seed for the WC.
    Nah, there's not.

Nope, not this year. But if I remember correctly the previous WCQ plays a small role in whatever mathematical calculations are for seeds. So unlike when it was possible to completely keep Mexico out, there's less incentive to throw in the scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

There's a chance I suppose, but my faith in FIFA ever doing the United States a favor in World Cup seeding or pool placement is slim to nil.

If we did ever qualify under their nebulous "criteria/formula" they would likely just change it so we wouldn't.

Turn Off Ads?