Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The NHL Playoffs have begun and should be the best playoffs ever!!!!

Re: The NHL Playoffs have begun and should be the best playoffs ever!!!!

How about Chicago rising from the ashes, a man down and 13.2 seconds left on Saturday, they score to get to Overtime and win in overtime.

Than they go out and win the series last night.

5-3 is a lot of fun, but I'm starting to wonder if Melrose may be right.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    How about Chicago rising from the ashes, a man down and 13.2 seconds left on Saturday, they score to get to Overtime and win in overtime.

Than they go out and win the series last night.

5-3 is a lot of fun, but I'm starting to wonder if Melrose may be right.
    Chicago only had to score more than 3 a game to take Nashville, they had twice as much firepower on teh ice 60 minutes a game.

Surprise team so far, Flyers... they just ate the Devils lunch. But Montreal and Phoenix are giving them a push.

My prediction is each fail, Jimmy Howard has his biggest test in his life tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Chicago only had to score more than 3 a game to take Nashville, they had twice as much firepower on teh ice 60 minutes a game.

Surprise team so far, Flyers... they just ate the Devils lunch. But Montreal and Phoenix are giving them a push.

My prediction is each fail, Jimmy Howard has his biggest test in his life tonight.
    Eh, that's why NHL playoff seeds have to be overlooked sometimes. In the regular season, the Flyers beat the Devils 5 out of 6 times. While they're the #2 seed, it sure seems the Flyers were just a horrible matchup for the Devils, even with Kovalchuk.

Not with as much success, but the Canadians don't give the Capitals their best matchup as well. Look no further than the PP vs PK for each team. Going into the series, that seemed to be the only chance for the Habs, and it couldn't have worked out better. Even more surprising, 1/28 on the PP for the Caps -- who saw that coming?

I'd give the nod to Phoenix. I really didn't see them putting up any fight. But I'll gladly appreciate being proven wrong if it means eliminating the Wings in the first round.

Go Canucks. Just because I loved Bure on NHL 94.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Is it my imagination or do the Caps blow a 3-1 series lead every year?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Is it my imagination or do the Caps blow a 3-1 series lead every year?
    I actually feel like they come BACK from a 3-1 defecit an awful lot. I know they did it against the Flyers and I think also the Rangers?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Last year, the Capitals were down 3-1 to the Rangers and went on to win that series in seven. However, the year before, the Capitals were down 3-1 to the Flyers and went on to lose to the Flyers in seven. And prior to the 2007-2008 season, the Capitals playoff record was non existent until you go back to the days of Dale Hunter and Peter Bondra. Seems like the Capitals have a knack from fighting back from being down 3-1. However, them choking a 3-1 series lead would be unprecedented, due to them never really being in the situation to do so before.

I'd like to ask a question as someone who knows absolutely nothing about hockey. When a team makes a substitution you have a span of 15 seconds or so where say two guys are coming off the ice and two more who are substitutes coming on to replace them. My question is doesn't that give the team not making the substitution a pretty big advantage by having more men on the ice than the other if even for that span of 15 seconds?? Or is there something I am missing here?Also how so they guys know they are being substituted for, is there a signal given from the bench??

Sorry for the novice question but I go to alot of Indiana Ice games with my 4 year old son who loves the sport and I have always wondered about this.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I'd like to ask a question as someone who knows absolutely nothing about hockey. When a team makes a substitution you have a span of 15 seconds or so where say two guys are coming off the ice and two more who are substitutes coming on to replace them. My question is doesn't that give the team not making the substitution a pretty big advantage by having more men on the ice than the other if even for that span of 15 seconds?? Or is there something I am missing here?Also how so they guys know they are being substituted for, is there a signal given from the bench??

Sorry for the novice question but I go to alot of Indiana Ice games with my 4 year old son who loves the sport and I have always wondered about this.
    There's an invisible zone around the bench, when the players make their change they can't play the puck in that zone or they'll get penalized for too many players on the ice. It's a linesmen call I think, so it can be missed.

Detroit just laid it to Phoenix in the 2nd period scoring 4 goals to take a 4-1 lead in the 7th game in Arizona.

Chicago moves on to the 2nd Round.

Woo-hoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Last year, the Capitals were down 3-1 to the Rangers and went on to win that series in seven. However, the year before, the Capitals were down 3-1 to the Flyers and went on to lose to the Flyers in seven. And prior to the 2007-2008 season, the Capitals playoff record was non existent until you go back to the days of Dale Hunter and Peter Bondra. Seems like the Capitals have a knack from fighting back from being down 3-1. However, them choking a 3-1 series lead would be unprecedented, due to them never really being in the situation to do so before.
    We must be talking about different Washington Capitals hockey clubs. They have done it numerous times.

It was a record the Caps could have done without: thirteen times in NHL history, teams had blown 3-1 series leads. After a 3-0 loss in Game 7 in 1995, the Caps became the first club to blow the advantage three times. Pittsburgh goaltender Ken Wregget, who struggled for much of the series, made 31 saves to earn the shutout.
    Three times by the end of the 1995 playoffs and I am pretty sure they have done it since then. I just don't know where to look up the year-by-year playoff results.

This article by Thomas Boswell of the Washington Post sums up the propensity of the Washington Capitals to choke in the playoffs quite nicely. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...042704750.html

A couple of the highlights of the article:

The Washington Capitals have faced the frightening prospect of failure -- and then failed spectacularly-- as often, as infamously, and usually as comically as any pro team in sports in the last 30 years.
    In the last 25 years, the Capitals have blown a two-game lead in a playoff series six times. All six times, they finished in a total tailspin, losing either their last three or four straight games.

But if the Caps squander a two-game lead for a seventh time, this time against Montreal, they will break new ground. No top-seeded team has ever blown a 3-1 lead to an eighth-seeded team.
    They missed the playoffs in six of those years so they have coughed up a two-game lead in six out of 19 playoff seasons.

Boswell states they have lost 20 straight games to end those six seasons.
    It's incredible: six seasons that ended with a combined 20 straight defeats (with 12 losses at home) after gaining 2-0 or 3-1 leads.
    There is only one possibility that makes the math work. They lost 2-0 leads twice (4 games x 2 = 8 losses). And they lost 3-1 leads four times (3 games x 4 = 12 losses).

If they lose to Montreal in game seven it will be the fifth 3-1 series lead that the Capitals have kicked away in the last quarter century. So it only seems like they do it every year, especially for a Capitals' fan.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-28-2010 at 12:27 AM.

Montreal ahead of Washington 1-0 w/ 4 minutes left in the 2nd period of Game 7.

Tie game at 19:36 of the 3rd!

No Goal! Waived off. Man in the crease.

Wow.

Turn Off Ads?