Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Targets

Re: Targets

I really don't think the issue is about who is available who "might" improve the Reds. The real issue boils down to what those other teams expect in return. If the return talent creates more holes for the Reds, is it really worth it?

Someone mentioned Andrew Either. I agree, it would probably take Phillips, Bailey, and perhaps a prospect to make that deal. OK, it solves LF hole (maybe CF). But now the Reds have created a huge hole at 2B (Do the Reds have a Gold Glover stashed away somewhere?), and traded away the one starting pitcher who has shown he can win big games in front of national audiences (not to mention TWO no-hitters). Let's face it, in a World Series, Homer is the one pitcher I want pitching Game #1, so he can come back for Game #4.

Sure, this team might be improved in some areas by pursuing some of these trade targets. But the talent they would cost will create weaknesses in other places.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

2. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (02-04-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    I wonder what Toronto would want for Rasmus. I think he'd put up 30+ in GABP.
    As someone who watched Rasmus play every day for two and a half years I think you should reconsider this. He's very talented, but not worth the headache. He is a daddy's boy who won't take instruction from coaches unless his dad backs them up. He is a 26 yr old child.
    Last edited by Salukifan2; 02-04-2014 at 11:58 AM.

A nice list. Still think Venable is the ideal fit for this team, and the Reds are a nice match for his team. All Walt has to do is convince SD that they won't be contenders in that division until they start stockpiling young arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    As someone who watched Rasmus play every day for two and a half years I think you should reconsider this. He's very talented, but not worth the headache. He is a daddy's boy who won't take instruction from coaches unless his dad backs them up. He is a 26 yr old child.
    I hear Cardinals fans say this every time the name "Rasmus" is mentioned. I have not heard any complaints surrounding him since he went to Toronto.

Salukifan2

They certainly complained about the .689 OPS he put up in 2012, and how he missed over 40 games last season. When you haven't finished better than fourth since 2007 and have a 120 mil payroll people don't complain about the CF who makes 4.5 mil.

There is never controversy because he plays on a bad team that is never in any spotlight. Also, the hair. Its just awful

They certainly complained about the .689 OPS he put up in 2012, and how he missed over 40 games last season. When you haven't finished better than fourth since 2007 and have a 120 mil payroll people don't complain about the CF who makes 4.5 mil.

There is never controversy because he plays on a bad team that is never in any spotlight. Also, the hair. Its just awful
    Maybe there is no controversy because he doesn't have to deal with LaRussa and the STL media anymore.

He put up an .840 OPS in 2013.

As a Canadian who also watches almost every Jays game I can confidently say that Rasmus would be a beast for the Reds, and he's just coming into his prime. At GABP he'd be even more dangerous.

If Bailey were unwilling to stay in Cincinnati that's a trade I'd entertain with Toronto having to add.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I have never understood the RedsZone love for Josh Willingham, juxtaposed as it often is with a near-universal loathing for Ryan Ludwick, when in fact they are nearly identical players. (They're even the same age.)

I guess it really is true about the grass being greener...
    Not even close, really. I've never really been on the trade for Willingham jalopy, but in a recent thread I posited that this might be a great buy low scenario where you can get a guy headed for a bounce back year for pennies on the dollar.

Corked bat pointed out how Josh rushed back from knee surgery and it hurt his numbers, but lets take a closer look. Despite an anemic 208 BA last year, he still got on base at a 342 clip which would have been third best on the Reds roster.

Additionally, Ludwick has 3 career season where he has OPS'd over 800 when he had 300 ABs or more. Willingham has OPS'd over 800 every season he's had over 100 ABs (except the previously mentioned 2013) which encompasses 2006-2012.*

Lastly--and granted, I cherry picked a bit when looking at advanced stats--he has a significantly better HR/FB ratio, which could play well in a stadium like Great American. Add that on to a guy who already has better power than Ludwick and I think you could expect 5-10 more HR.

*I actually meant PA not AB. Willingham had at least 416 PA in said seasons with the lowest OPS at 810. Every other year was at least 827 or better.
    Last edited by OGB; 02-04-2014 at 03:33 PM.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Maybe there is no controversy because he doesn't have to deal with LaRussa and the STL media anymore.

He put up an .840 OPS in 2013.
    The guy refused to listen to coaches and tried to get LaRussa to hire his dad lol. He's a baby. You're right its Bernie Miklasz fault.

edit: The St. Louis Media? This is Hilarious. What does that even mean? There is one newspaper. Its not Boston.
    Last edited by Salukifan2; 02-04-2014 at 04:04 PM.

As a Canadian who also watches almost every Jays game I can confidently say that Rasmus would be a beast for the Reds, and he's just coming into his prime. At GABP he'd be even more dangerous.

If Bailey were unwilling to stay in Cincinnati that's a trade I'd entertain with Toronto having to add.
    Both are in their contract years, so idk. Maybe they could pull off some sort of sign and trade.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Both are in their contract years, so idk. Maybe they could pull off some sort of sign and trade.
    I've posted before that if Homer won't extend, I would deal him for younger controllable talent and try to help extend this team's "window." If however, the Blue Jays would take Chapman for Rasmus, I'd do it and hold on to Bailey to "go all-in." I'd try to widen the deal a bit and try to get a bullpen arm like Delabar or Cecil. I'd also hope that Broxton could come back strong.

Why would you move Chapman?
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

The guy refused to listen to coaches and tried to get LaRussa to hire his dad lol. He's a baby. You're right its Bernie Miklasz fault.

edit: The St. Louis Media? This is Hilarious. What does that even mean? There is one newspaper. Its not Boston.
    There is really only one media outlet for St Louis? Cinci is a smaller city and there are multiple outlets for Reds stories. For example: the Dayton Daily News. There are also online sources.

Why would you move Chapman?
    Why wouldn't you?

I don't know if it's hypnosis or what, but I wonder what Michael saunders could do in gabp

also, is the team missing a lefty mashin outfield platoon type?
    Last edited by Orenda; 02-05-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Turn Off Ads?