Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds were waiting to see what Choo would do.

Re: Reds were waiting to see what Choo would do.

Quote Originally Posted by indyscott View Post
    who is going to make up Choo's production? Ludwick is what he is. A guy that ONCE has been above a .700 OPS. And we do have a great rotation. What happens when ONE starter goes down? We are trying to replace a CF with a CAREER OPS guy over .800 with a guy that cant get to .700 IN THE MINORS. We have a 2B who's OPS has dropped tremendously the last 2 seasons and see no reason to see it go back up. 1B and RF we are set. Every other position isnt. To make an assumption that they will "just get better" is pretty short sighted.
    How did we win those two divisions with Drew Stubbs in CF and his lacking production? What happens when a starter goes down, you replace him. We lost our ACE last season and got by. We have a core of quality starting pitching, we have some good young talent in the minors, exactly what more could you want.

The job of the 2B wasn't to get on base last year, it was to drive in runs, which he did. Lets see what happens this sesaon if he is asked to get on base more over driving in runs. How is it short sighted, the other position players are in the age area where improvement can happen. I mean sure I would love to have a GG AS type player at every position, but that can't happen. This franchise in is a great place talent wise and the available market on players to add is very thin.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Fan View Post
    How did we win those two divisions with Drew Stubbs in CF and his lacking production? What happens when a starter goes down, you replace him. We lost our ACE last season and got by. We have a core of quality starting pitching, we have some good young talent in the minors, exactly what more could you want.

The job of the 2B wasn't to get on base last year, it was to drive in runs, which he did. Lets see what happens this sesaon if he is asked to get on base more over driving in runs. How is it short sighted, the other position players are in the age area where improvement can happen. I mean sure I would love to have a GG AS type player at every position, but that can't happen. This franchise in is a great place talent wise and the available market on players to add is very thin.
    Who do we replace them with? And how many PLAYOFF series have we won? I am sick of people bragging about winning a division. WIN A DAMN PLAYOFF SERIES. Who is this core of minor league pitchers ready?

And Johnny, if you think the job of a clean up hitter is to not get on base, I have no idea what to tell you. Are you Brandon Phillps?

Who do we replace them with? And how many PLAYOFF series have we won? I am sick of people bragging about winning a division. WIN A DAMN PLAYOFF SERIES. Who is this core of minor league pitchers ready?

And Johnny, if you think the job of a clean up hitter is to not get on base, I have no idea what to tell you. Are you Brandon Phillps?
    Lack of playoff win to me lies with Dusty and not the talent. Dusty is not nad never was a good playoff manager. Lets see how a new manager and coaching crew work.

The number one objective of the clean up hitter is to drive in runs, period. IF he can also have a good OBP, then that's fine, but his sole job is to drive in those guys on base.

Lack of playoff win to me lies with Dusty and not the talent. Dusty is not nad never was a good playoff manager. Lets see how a new manager and coaching crew work.

The number one objective of the clean up hitter is to drive in runs, period. IF he can also have a good OBP, then that's fine, but his sole job is to drive in those guys on base.
    You are clueless. LOL. Show me the list of clean up hitters on other teams that dont get on base, I will wait. Here, let me ask you this. If BP comes up with no one on base dsoes he just give an AB away since there isnt anyone to drive in?

I will do the work for you Johnny. Clean up hitters of teams that made the playoffs

St Louis. Allen Craig. OPS .830
    Pittsburgh J. Morneau OPS .734
    Atlanta E. Gattis OPS .771
    LA Dodgers A. Gonzales. OPS .803
    Boston Red Sox Ortiz OPS .959
    Detroit P. Fielder .819
    TB E. Longoria OPS .842
    Cleve C. Santana OPS .832
    Oak. Cespedes. OPS .737

Cincy? OPS .706

Dead last in clean up hitters. But you keep saying "He drove in runs" and everything will be just fine

I will do the work for you Johnny. Clean up hitters of teams that made the playoffs

St Louis. Allen Craig. OPS .830
    Pittsburgh J. Morneau OPS .734
    Atlanta E. Gattis OPS .771
    LA Dodgers A. Gonzales. OPS .803
    Boston Red Sox Ortiz OPS .959
    Detroit P. Fielder .819
    TB E. Longoria OPS .842
    Cleve C. Santana OPS .832
    Oak. Cespedes. OPS .737

Cincy? OPS .706

We view the objective differently. I am okay with the lower obp by Phillips then you are. No question Phillips is not the perfect cleanup hitter. But Dusty chose to put Phillips in the 4th spot with the objective being drive in runs. Dusty didn't have an issue with his less the steller OBP, so if your own manager isn't going to worry about it, or the hitting coach, then you do what he did and continue to hit in the style he did. Again when it was all said and done he drove in runs, which was his job from his boss.

Dead last in clean up hitters. But you keep saying "He drove in runs" and everything will be just fine

You are clueless. LOL. Show me the list of clean up hitters on other teams that dont get on base, I will wait. Here, let me ask you this. If BP comes up with no one on base dsoes he just give an AB away since there isnt anyone to drive in?
    No he tries to hit a homerun, that is mentality, driven by his manager and hitting coach.

No he tries to hit a homerun, that is mentality, driven by his manager and hitting coach.
    Where did you get the insight that this is the mentality? I ahve never seen this discussed.

Where did you get the insight that this is the mentality? I ahve never seen this discussed.
    Look at how he swings, he is always swinging for the fence, he doens't shorten up his swing or change his approach. This comes from his view to power the ball, which must of been supported by the manager and hitting coach or they would have changed his approach or place in the lineup. I never once heard Dusty complain about Brandon's approach or lower OBP. IF your boss and teacher are okay with your approach why would you change.

Look at how he swings, he is always swinging for the fence, he doens't shorten up his swing or change his approach. This comes from his view to power the ball, which must of been supported by the manager and hitting coach or they would have changed his approach or place in the lineup. I never once heard Dusty complain about Brandon's approach or lower OBP. IF your boss and teacher are okay with your approach why would you change.
    LOL.

who is going to make up Choo's production? Ludwick is what he is. A guy that ONCE has been above a .700 OPS. And we do have a great rotation. What happens when ONE starter goes down? We are trying to replace a CF with a CAREER OPS guy over .800 with a guy that cant get to .700 IN THE MINORS. We have a 2B who's OPS has dropped tremendously the last 2 seasons and see no reason to see it go back up. 1B and RF we are set. Every other position isnt. To make an assumption that they will "just get better" is pretty short sighted.
    Ludwick has OPSd over .700 more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't expect Ludwick to have another year like 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I prefer to keep it within a few years. Not sure what he did 5 years ago has any bearing on where he is today. He has OPS'd 1 in the last 3 over .700. If people think he is fine in LF and Phillips is fine at 2B, I am not sure where to go with this.

I prefer to keep it within a few years. Not sure what he did 5 years ago has any bearing on where he is today. He has OPS'd 1 in the last 3 over .700. If people think he is fine in LF and Phillips is fine at 2B, I am not sure where to go with this.
    Lets see Walt and Price, both with far more experience and knowledge seem okay with it and I am willing to go with their opinion...

Lets see Walt and Price, both with far more experience and knowledge seem okay with it and I am willing to go with their opinion...
    My guess since BP was shopped and it was no secret they were looking for LF help that they arent OK with it.

Turn Off Ads?