Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pete Rose on baseball's unwritten rules.

Pete Rose on baseball's unwritten rules.

http://nesn.com/2013/04/pete-rose-th...o-get-screwed/

"I used to get screwed when we had a seven or eight-run lead, because I couldn’t bunt for a single or I’m ‘showing up the opposition'.... [yet] Guys that are home run hitters can continuously just swing from their ass and trot around the bases."

Pete makes some interesting points regarding acceptable decorum in blowout games and no-hitters. I agree, why not play for a hit (for a singles/line-drive hitter) and take the extra base if it's there? Not sure I would steal bases in "out of reach" games (sorry Yogi), but more for injury risk reasons, than fear of showing up the opposition... unless of course, Bob Gibson or J.R. Richard was the opposition lol

Curious about different perspectives on the topic.

2. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (04-08-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: Pete Rose on baseball's unwritten rules.

Pete does not abide by the written rules; therefore, why should I care what he thinks about unwritten rules? No offense to OP, thanks for sharing.

5. Likes:

dougdirt (04-08-2013),dubc47834 (04-08-2013),LoganBuck (04-08-2013),RadfordVA (04-08-2013)

I care what Pete thinks....IMO, he is the true king of MLB. doing what he did for so long deserves some credit regardless of what he did to get in trouble...If he were in todays game, he would be the highest paid player of all time.....dude could play anywhere and give you great innings, he wasnt just a filler at a spot, he picked it.

I agree with Pete to an extent......I also agree that if your not trying for a hit when the pitcher has a no hitter going then its not truly a no hitter.....if your backing off from getting that bunt single just because the pitcher has a no hitter going then you just allowed the defense to set up to take away the holes in the infield, making it that much easier for the pitcher to throw a no hitter......I agree that stealing bases in a blowout is uncalled for but if another team wants to take bases then I respect that to a degree, at least they are still playing hard and giving 100%.....dont you dare slide hard into my player or we will have issues but giving less than 100% is never ok in my book, regardless of the score.......I coached little league and I also coach my daughters travel fastpitch team....I dont send runners when we are ahead by more than 10 and I dont give the steal sign when we are up by more than 10....but passed balls are fair game....the only thing I never do is send a player home on a passed ball, to risky in getting the opposing catcher hurt.......

Pete is correct that these lazy DH only power hitters walk up to the plate and swing away and its ok yet the Juan Pierre's of the MLB get chastised for bunting for hit during a no hitter...makes no sense to me either pete

7. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (04-08-2013),redsrule2500 (04-08-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (04-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Pete does not abide by the written rules; therefore, why should I care what he thinks about unwritten rules? No offense to OP, thanks for sharing.
    Let me ask you this: why did you bother to read this thread or to post? Just wanted to make the easy smack down of Pete? It's a clown comment, bro.

If you don't want to read what Pete thinks about baseball's unwritten rules, don't read the thread. But please don't hijack the thread by attacking Pete. The topic here was supposed to be 'baseball's unwritten rules', and now you turn it into 'Pete has no right to speak since he broke baseball's written rules'. Pete is banned from baseball, but he does have more ABs than any player ever. He certainly still has a right to speak about the sport that he knows so well, and we really don't need every comment he makes to be belittled because of his history. At some point, that history (both bad and good) can be implied.

Anyway, I think Pete makes an interesting point. The example in the article actually was the bunt single that Ben Davis got off of Curt Schilling in 2001 that spoiled his perfect game, with Schilling's team only ahead by 2 runs at the time. That bunt to spoil the perfect game was called a 'violation of baseball's unwritten rules' at the time, and Pete disagreed: "But down 2-0? I’d bunt, too...". So would I...
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

9. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (04-08-2013),Backup Catcher (04-09-2013),Fullboat (04-08-2013),jimbo (04-08-2013),Number_Fourteen (04-08-2013),PedroBourbon (04-08-2013),Spider Tre (04-08-2013),TeamSelig (04-08-2013),TSJ55 (04-08-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (04-08-2013)

My mistake was including Pete's name in the thread title. As a longtime ORG observer, I should have expected off-topic derision & snark at the very mention of the man's name; my own monicker, associated with Pete, probably lessens my credibility in the eyes of some. But let's be clear, "baseball's unwritten rules" is a broad topic, with a multitude of interpretations, perspectives and opinions well beyond Pete's, hence please feel free to discuss the topic itself, rather than focusing off-topic on Pete's well-known transgressions.
    Last edited by Number_Fourteen; 04-08-2013 at 08:50 AM.

11. Likes:

Always Red (04-08-2013),AtomicDumpling (04-08-2013),TeamSelig (04-08-2013)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Let me ask you this: why did you bother to read this thread or to post? Just wanted to make the easy smack down of Pete? It's a clown comment, bro.

If you don't want to read what Pete thinks about baseball's unwritten rules, don't read the thread. But please don't hijack the thread by attacking Pete. The topic here was supposed to be 'baseball's unwritten rules', and now you turn it into 'Pete has no right to speak since he broke baseball's written rules'. Pete is banned from baseball, but he does have more ABs than any player ever. He certainly still has a right to speak about the sport that he knows so well, and we really don't need every comment he makes to be belittled because of his history. At some point, that history (both bad and good) can be implied.

Anyway, I think Pete makes an interesting point. The example in the article actually was the bunt single that Ben Davis got off of Curt Schilling in 2001 that spoiled his perfect game, with Schilling's team only ahead by 2 runs at the time. That bunt to spoil the perfect game was called a 'violation of baseball's unwritten rules' at the time, and Pete disagreed: "But down 2-0? I’d bunt, too...". So would I...
    I don't think he hijacked the thread. He didn't say Pete has no right to do this and that, he just said he doesnt care what Pete thinks because he broke the written rules of baseball. Maybe he coulda been more PC about it, but I hardly think he hijacked a thread. Some people will never get past what he did, he did it, so he and others need to live with the consequences. I value what Pete says about a lot of stuff, but understand how people don't want to hear what he has to say.

Pete played his first game as a Red 50 years ago today.

Yesterday he pitched furniture to me with his wife during the game whilst wearing a fedora and eating donuts.

Shakespeare would have a field day with that.

14. Likes:

LoganBuck (04-08-2013)

His point is invalid. He appears to be saying "I'd have gotten more hits were it not for the unwritten rules." OK, that may be true...but in theory then, it's true for everybody. He might as well say he got screwed when told to "take" on a 3-0 count because he woulda gotten more hits swinging away...maybe, but so would everybody else.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I think Rose's point is perfectly valid and it's one that gets debated here often enough. I'd love to see all the unwritten rules of the game written down, so I can know them too.

When Pete Rose talks baseball, people should listen, because they're going to learn something. I do.

If Rose speaks on integrity, honesty, loyalty, how to be a good father and husband, then feel free to tune him out; I do.

There is not one of us out there who is 100% good or 100% bad; we are all flawed in some way. Rose's transgressions absolutely do not discredit his knowledge of the game, and there are not many who knew the game as well as Rose did.

A smart person would not tune out everything Rose has to say about baseball just because he bet on the game.
    sorry we're boring

17. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (04-08-2013),mbgrayson (04-08-2013),Number_Fourteen (04-08-2013),Roy Tucker (04-08-2013),Spider Tre (04-08-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    When Pete Rose talks baseball, people should listen, because they're going to learn something. I do.

If Rose speaks on integrity, honesty, loyalty, how to be a good father and husband, then feel free to tune him out; I do.
    These 2 points can not be repeated enough.

19. Likes:

bigfunguy (04-08-2013),Captain13 (04-08-2013),Team Clark (04-08-2013)

I'm on record as a believer of the "unwritten rules". In the case illustrated, I have to say that I'm not sure they apply though. Bunting for a hit when down 2 shouldn't be construed as simply trying to break up the no-hitter I don't think. Down 10...yes, that's a different story completely
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

If a rule isn't written down, its not a rule.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Number_Fourteen View Post
    http://nesn.com/2013/04/pete-rose-th...o-get-screwed/

"I used to get screwed when we had a seven or eight-run lead, because I couldn’t bunt for a single or I’m ‘showing up the opposition'.... [yet] Guys that are home run hitters can continuously just swing from their ass and trot around the bases."

Pete makes some interesting points regarding acceptable decorum in blowout games and no-hitters. I agree, why not play for a hit (for a singles/line-drive hitter) and take the extra base if it's there? Not sure I would steal bases in "out of reach" games (sorry Yogi), but more for injury risk reasons, than fear of showing up the opposition... unless of course, Bob Gibson or J.R. Richard was the opposition lol

Curious about different perspectives on the topic.
    Speaking of Pete Rose and baseball's unwritten rules, I do remember Rose commenting on unwritten rules when Gene Garber ended his hitting streak, saying that Garber pitched Rose "like it was the 7th game of the World Series". Like, there's something wrong with that?

Rose came out smelling like less than a Rose in what he had to say, but then again, Garber did come off the mound with both arms raised in the air, which is a strange way to celebrate a 16-4 victory.

http://lancasteronline.com/article/l...ng-streak.html

Most of us older geezers will never forget what happened in Atlanta on Aug. 1, 1978, for several reasons.

First, Garber is a local guy. Second, Rose is a legend. Third, Rose reacted like a total jerk after our favorite righthanded sidewinder ended his streak in a game between the Braves and the Cincinnati Reds.

Utley responded with dignity and grace after Feliciano fanned him in the ninth inning to snip his string at 36 games Friday night.

“I had a blast,” the Phillies’ second baseman told reporters after the game. “It was a great time, and I had a good time with you guys as well.”

Rose is a lot more outspoken than Utley, and he spat out a mouthful of sour grapes after Garber struck him out on a low, outside changeup in his last at-bat and ended his streak at 44 games, which is still a National League record.

Pete was miffed because Garber didn’t challenge him with good pitches to hit.

Nor did Rose like it when Garber leaped off the mound with both arms raised after fanning him to end the game.

“Garber was pitching like it was the seventh game of the World Series,” Rose told reporters. “He had a 16-4 lead.”

Read more: http://lancasteronline.com/article/l...#ixzz2PtJA7b81
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Pete played his first game as a Red 50 years ago today.

Yesterday he pitched furniture to me with his wife during the game whilst wearing a fedora and eating donuts.

Shakespeare would have a field day with that.
    Today is Julian Lennon's 50th birthday. COINCIDENCE??
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

saw a game last weekend with 9 and 10 year Olds where a team was stealing bases when leading 24 to 1.
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

Turn Off Ads?