Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The best part of waking up

They call me "chef"

The best part of waking up

I think it is when the sun drifts through the curtains and I hear my wife stirring about downstairs. She wakes up so much earlier than me and she never tires of my observations on life. She is beautiful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The best part of waking up

I love mornings. I wake up about 6:00 AM and push the start button the coffee. I turn on my laptop and watch the birds at the bird feeder while I wait for it to come on. When the coffee is ready, I go get my wife up.

Later, I go to Panero Bread and have a dark roast coffee and a bagel. It pretty much goes downhill after that...until Happy Hour.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

...is Folgers in your cup!
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Ah, beat me to it. Dang.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I love mornings. I wake up about 6:00 AM and push the start button the coffee. I turn on my laptop and watch the birds at the bird feeder while I wait for it to come on. When the coffee is ready, I go get my wife up.
    You really disappoint me Spitball, after knowing you all these years. You don't own a coffee maker with a timer? C'mon buddy! Get with the times!

I love our location. We live in the country. I'm pretty much like my Dad was. Even on my days off I'm still an early riser. There's just something about getting up in the early still mornings, the family is still fast asleep, grabbing your cup of coffee, and sitting on the back deck in the absolute peace and quiet. Very tranquil. You can hear a pin drop. And there is usually some critters, especially deer, roaming around the back.

I also enjoy listening to the Reds on the radio while relaxing out back. The coffee is then traded in for a beer.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I get up around 5:30, make coffee, have breakfast, check out a few news sites online (and RZ, of course), listen to NPR, maybe read for a while or go for a short run. At around 6:45 I take a cup of coffee up to my wife. That routine is at least a decade in the running. She thinks I'm being nice, but really I just like being by myself for an hour and a half every morning.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

...is waking up. The first morning you don't wake up is really gonna ruin the entire rest of your day. All kidding aside, my morning ritual is walking the dog. Get up at about 530 and Choo (my dog) is ready to. I grab his leash and he runs to the front door. It never gets old.
    Last edited by texasdave; 02-14-2012 at 06:34 AM.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Mornings?
    I have trouble staying asleep, so I'll be up around 5 am, checking out the Asian and European markets and getting ready for work. I take my daughter to school, pick up coffee on the way back plus whatever is missing from the fridge. Get back, walk the dog, have breakfast.
    Wife gets up around 9 am. Of course, she also goes to bed later. I'll have some more coffee or tea while she eats breakfast.

In the mornings, sometimes I feel like we're on different shifts. It works, notwithstanding, and we'll be celebrating our 25th anniversary in a few months.
    Good thing that days are 24 hours long.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

During the week my mornings suck. Alarm goes off at 5:30am, I get up and shower, shave, and eat. By 6:20am I am sitting in my car for the hour long commute to work. I hate it. I really wish my company would just allow me to work from home.

On the weekends it's much nicer. I usually wake up ~6:30am, get up and turn on the coffee maker (no timer on the weekends cause if I sleep to 8:00am I don't want it scalding on the burner), once the first cup is ready I head out to the front porch and have my first cigarette and coffee. Nothing better than that. I'm getting ready to quit smoking again, so my weekend morning ritual will probably change but for now it's a nice slow paced way to start the day.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    I love smelling my Folgers brewing in the mornings.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I'm a night owl. I love late nights, a quiet house, everyone in bed, and just me and the dog (who is snoring on the floor). I can read, watch TV, take a late night walk, and do pretty much whatever I feel like. With the demands put on me as a husband, father, and worker, it's rare that I get to do that. Now, I have learned to get up early and function pretty well. But its not my normal rhythm.

My wife is the early bird. She thinks its the most wonderful time of the day. Which is all fine with me. But she also thinks getting up is morally superior to us night owls and that we are slothful, repugnant, and damaged souls that need to learn the glories of the morning. Which is not quite as fine.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    I think it is when the sun drifts through the curtains and I hear my wife stirring about downstairs. She wakes up so much earlier than me and she never tires of my observations on life. She is beautiful.
    So i guess it is safe to say your wife reads Redszone?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I'm a night owl. I love late nights, a quiet house, everyone in bed, and just me and the dog (who is snoring on the floor). I can read, watch TV, take a late night walk, and do pretty much whatever I feel like. With the demands put on me as a husband, father, and worker, it's rare that I get to do that. Now, I have learned to get up early and function pretty well. But its not my normal rhythm.

My wife is the early bird. She thinks its the most wonderful time of the day. Which is all fine with me. But she also thinks getting up is morally superior to us night owls and that we are slothful, repugnant, and damaged souls that need to learn the glories of the morning. Which is not quite as fine.
    Same way here. My wife is in bed between 10:00 and 11:00. I can't even think of sleep till 2:30 or 3:00. Guess that's good as I work 12 hour night shifts. And I like it that way.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    But she also thinks getting up is morally superior to us night owls and that we are slothful, repugnant, and damaged souls that need to learn the glories of the morning.
    That's not just your wife. I think that must be some sort of relic of farming. As a night-owl, I resent it. I don't sleep any more or do any less than the weirdos who like the crack of dawn, but there you go.

Actually liberal radio guy Thom Hartmann has a theory about this that he's applied to ADD children. He calls it farmer/hunter syndrome. Farmer's get up early, focus easily on tasks, etc... Hunters stay up late, are hypervigilant, move quickly from task to the other and get bored easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    That's not just your wife. I think that must be some sort of relic of farming. As a night-owl, I resent it. I don't sleep any more or do any less than the weirdos who like the crack of dawn, but there you go.

Actually liberal radio guy Thom Hartmann has a theory about this that he's applied to ADD children. He calls it farmer/hunter syndrome. Farmer's get up early, focus easily on tasks, etc... Hunters stay up late, are hypervigilant, move quickly from task to the other and get bored easily.
    That's a great theory, but every hunter I've known gets up at the butt crack of dawn to sit in a deer stand or duck blind.

Turn Off Ads?