Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving into a Clifton apartment - anything I should expect? (Crime?)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Moving into a Clifton apartment - anything I should expect? (Crime?)

I signed a lease for an apartment in the Forum Apartments and Health Club today on MLK. For locals, that's an area on MLK in between Central Parkway and Dixmyth.

After I told a friend that, he gave me an "ouch", and said that area is kind of sketchy. He showed me this crime density map (raidsonline.com) and sure enough, the address for the complex is right on the border of a big red spot for crime.

I checked some reviews, and while there were a lot of complaints (people apparently expect perfection, because there are no communities with good reviews anywhere on the Internet), none of them mentioned any crime.

I'm a little worried now, anyone know anything about that area?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Moving into a Clifton apartment - anything I should expect? (Crime?)

Also, I'm kind of expecting bed bugs. The leasing agent said they'll spray for them when it's necessary. But a lot of reviews mentioned them as a problem.

Anyone know how to deal with them? I'll mostly have to deal with it myself, because there's not much the complex can do for me if my neighbors have them. I have this "pest killer" spray repellant that works awesome for spiders, ants and other stuff, but I haven't had to use it for bed bugs ever.

:rip:

Chris Rock sums up streets named after MLK pretty well.

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-29-2013),camisadelgolf (07-22-2013),Chip R (07-29-2013),Tom Servo (07-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I signed a lease for an apartment in the Forum Apartments and Health Club today on MLK. For locals, that's an area on MLK in between Central Parkway and Dixmyth.

After I told a friend that, he gave me an "ouch", and said that area is kind of sketchy. He showed me this crime density map (raidsonline.com) and sure enough, the address for the complex is right on the border of a big red spot for crime.

I checked some reviews, and while there were a lot of complaints (people apparently expect perfection, because there are no communities with good reviews anywhere on the Internet), none of them mentioned any crime.

Former Clifton resident, bartender, and pizza delivery guy for 10+ years checking in here.

You may run into issues walking to/from campus very late at night. Or you might not. The closer you get to McMicken, the later it is, and the bigger the target you appear to be, the sketchier it gets.

That being said, it isn't too bad and actually seems to be getting better after a decade or so where crime seemed to be getting worse.

Just travel in numbers, pay attention to your surroundings, don't walk home late at night and drunk, and other common sense measures. You'll be fine.

Man I miss Thai Express. Go there (with cash) first.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

8. Likes:

camisadelgolf (07-22-2013),Wonderful Monds (07-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Former Clifton resident, bartender, and pizza delivery guy for 10+ years checking in here.

You may run into issues walking to/from campus very late at night. Or you might not. The closer you get to McMicken, the later it is, and the bigger the target you appear to be, the sketchier it gets.

That being said, it isn't too bad and actually seems to be getting better after a decade or so where crime seemed to be getting worse.

Just travel in numbers, pay attention to your surroundings, don't walk home late at night and drunk, and other common sense measures. You'll be fine.

Man I miss Thai Express. Go there (with cash) first.
    Awesome post, thanks a bunch for the tips!

This makes me so glad I live in a smallish city with little crime. I walk alone late at night, my mind wanders when I'm walking, I'm rarely drunk but do walk with a limp and I'm older, and I often lack common sense. I guess I'd be a quick statistic in a big city.

If the sales person tells you up front you'll have trouble with bedbugs go ahead and find somewhere else.

That's a rule I live by

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    If the sales person tells you up front you'll have trouble with bedbugs go ahead and find somewhere else.

That's a rule I live by
    Seems like a good rule.

Are you a UC student? If you are, I recommend taking their shuttle to campus. The climb up MLK isn't enjoyable.

On the crime front, the convenience store at the bottom of MLK has been hit a few times over recent years.

I second Bob Sheed's Thai Express recommendation.
    Last edited by paintmered; 07-28-2013 at 02:50 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

14. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (07-28-2013)

That's a rule I live by
    That's basically every apartment complex in my price range in this city though, honestly. Cincinnati statistically has the worst bed bug problem in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Are you a UC student? If you are, I recommend taking their shuttle to campus. The climb up MLK isn't enjoyable.

On the crime front, the convenience store at the bottom of MLK has been hit a few times over recent years.

I second Bob Sheed's Thai Express recommendation.
    Jeez. I guess I'll avoid going down there then.

Thanks for the tips.

That's basically every apartment complex in my price range in this city though, honestly. Cincinnati statistically has the worst bed bug problem in the country.
    I'm just going to blame it on all of you in the greater Cincinnati area for not bathing enough.

That's a rule I live by
    What if they tell you this?

I might add, never ever use an ATM. Ever.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I'm totally skeeved out

Turn Off Ads?