Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Projected Starters Debate

Re: Projected Starters Debate

Rotations:

AAA - Cueto, Maloney, Shearn, Minor League FA, Minor League FA.

AA - Thompson, Fisher, Lecure, Avery, Jukich

A+ - Wood, Watson, Gonzalez, Smit, Ondrusek

A- - Guerrero, Carroll, Arneson, Smith, Del Rosario

Probably a lot of guys in and out at A-.

Not sure if Gardner or Vazquez fit anywhere but maybe keep Vazquez. You could make a case for both at AA. Ondrusek, Smit and Wood may have a shot at AA as well. There is a crowd of guys in that area - either repeating A+ or going to AA. There will be a lot of movement IMO. Depending on what he Reds do, you may see Bailey in AAA as well.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Do you guys agree with my ACE's?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Comparing other prospects to Jay Bruce isn't really a good way to look at things. Since 2000 began Jay Bruce is just 1 of 2 guys 20 or younger to OPS over .900 in that league and no one was within 40 points of him.
    I agree that he isn't Jay Bruce. He really doesn't have to be. Still, what possible reason could there be to skip this kid a level? He needs to start showing some dominance on the field. I know he had a good second half at A-. IMO a good half after such a poor start in a league that he's kind of advanced for isn't something that screams fast track. If he'd ripped the ball out of the gate, I'd be more inclined to say challenge him until he struggles. He's already struggled - a lot. Now he needs to prove it at each level IMO. I'd sooner start Frazier at AA.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I think Shern may be the #5 starter for the reds when they break camp. He isn't going to set the world on fire but I wouldn't doubt if he gets the nod and Belisle ends up back in the pen. I want to see what Belisle can do when he focuses on one inning.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think Shern may be the #5 starter for the reds when they break camp. He isn't going to set the world on fire but I wouldn't doubt if he gets the nod and Belisle ends up back in the pen. I want to see what Belisle can do when he focuses on one inning.
    I doubt it. I think the Reds invested a year in Belisle to get his innings base under him and let him take his lumps (something almost all starters need to do - especially when coming off of a few years not working as a starter). Now is the time to really find out what he can do IMO. Shearn is rightfully viewed as an insurance policy to be stashed at AAA until he's needed when all the preferred options are unavailable.

Travis Wood needs to be in Sarasota. If Sean Watson begins next season as a starter then I think he should get about 8-10 starts in Sarasota and then get a promotion to Chattanooga if he earns it. OTOH, he should begin the season in Chattanooga if he is converted back to a reliever.

Personally, I'd put Ondrusek, Vazquez, Avery, Gressick, Del Rosario, Drew Bowman, Brandon Rice, Steve Otterness, Luis Montano, etc. in the bullpen until the rookie leagues start up. I'm too lazy to try to project the lineups, but here is what I'd like to see for the starting rotations:

AAA
    Johnny Cueto
    Matt Maloney
    Tom Shearn
    Carlos Fisher
    Sam LeCure

AA
    Daryl Thompson
    Sean Watson
    Alex Smit
    Ben Jukich
    Travis Webb

A+
    Travis Wood
    Juan Rafael
    Rafael Gonzalez
    Jordan Smith
    Jamie Arneson

A
    Kyle Lotzkar
    Evan Hildebrandt
    Scott Carroll
    Tzu-Kai Chiu
    Josh Ravin/Harris Honeycutt

Fisher at AAA? He got slammed to hard after a truly impressive start. I like him still as a huge prospect. What about him at AA with a quick advance? I also think that our young South American prospect pitchers are going to do some damage in Dayton

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Fisher at AAA? He got slammed to hard after a truly impressive start. I like him still as a huge prospect. What about him at AA with a quick advance? I also think that our young South American prospect pitchers are going to do some damage in Dayton
    I think that would be ideal, but I prefer letting young players who might actually have an impact on the Reds take up minor league roster spots over AAAA journeyman who are already way past their primes.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Comparing other prospects to Jay Bruce isn't really a good way to look at things. Since 2000 began Jay Bruce is just 1 of 2 guys 20 or younger to OPS over .900 in that league and no one was within 40 points of him.
    My point is that if all prospect hitters skip the FSL, what's the point of the Reds being in that league. High-A ball serves the purpose of giving a hitter some exposure to tougher pitching before the big jump to AA. Somebody like Stubbs should be able to benefit from that.

The reference to Bruce is just to show that it is possible to hit well in the FSL. A top prospect should be able to handle it.

Stubbs is no spring chicken. Dude is 23 years old, he doesn't need to be babied.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Stubbs is no spring chicken. Dude is 23 years old, he doesn't need to be babied.
    I don't want to hold him back to baby him. I want to make him earn his promotions. He hasn't really done much yet.

I would baby Lecure and move Fisher. Fish's late start in pitching cost him last year when he got exposed by the AA guys. Honing up his stuff may move him along faster. Lecure, on the otherhand needs to improve his fastball command more than Fisher.

I'll give it a shot, although I am not the best on the pitchers mainly at the lower levels and especially in the pen. This is what I think will happen not necc. my preference. But I would agree with most of it.

Billings:
    C - J. Bour
    1B - E. Contreras
    2B - K. Feiner
    SS - N. Soto
    3B - B. Bartles
    OF - B. Menchacha
    OF - J. Reed
    OF - M. Jones

Dayton:
    C - E. Rodriguez
    1B - M. McKennon
    2B - Z. Cozart
    SS - T. Frazier (His bat plays at A+, but his Def. needs assessed)
    3B - B. Waring
    OF - K. Maunus
    OF - K. Jones
    OF - D. Phipps

Sarasota:
    C - C. Kroski
    1B - L. Parker
    2B - J. Turner
    SS - C. Valaika
    3B - J. Francisco (Needs refinement but may advance)
    OF - C. Heisey
    OF - D. Stubbs
    OF - C. Kainer

Chattanooga:
    C - M. Perez (If Re-Signed, if not C. Tatum)
    1B - T. Gutierrez
    2B - D. Andersen
    SS - Jo. Castro (Not Juan but should be)
    3B - M. DeJesus (?)
    OF - D. Dorn
    OF - S. Henry
    OF - S. Cumberland

Louisville:
    C - R. Hanigan
    1B - A. Rosales
    2B - L. Bolivar
    SS - P. Janish
    3B - M. Griffin
    OF - B. Coats
    OF - C. Dickerson
    OF - J. Bruce
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Nobody's mentioning Bobby Livingston. What do we know about his condition? Is there any chance he's trying a rehab by spring? if so, seems to me you've got to figure him in somewhere.

Turn Off Ads?