Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 68 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Re: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Who believes Andy Dalton is a franchise QB? What is his true ceiling?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Honestly, I have no idea.

It's such a quandary. He's led the team to the playoffs 2 straight years, yet he's fallen apart come December both years.

I would like to see the Bengals sign Dashon Goldson

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I guess this depends on how you define franchise QB. For the Bengals, he probably is. For teams with loftier goals, probably not.

I think his ceiling is a 12-15 QB. Not bad, but certainly not great. He'll need a lot of help on offense, which he doesn't have currently as of 3/10, to go further in the playoffs. All in all, he's a serviceable average NFL QB.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I would like to see what Dalton can do when he has all of his receivers healthy. Sanu, Green, Hawkins, and Jones did not play together last season as injuries piled up. I think we will see what we have in Dalton this season. I also look for the Bengals to take a QB maybe as early as the 4th.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I guess this depends on how you define franchise QB. For the Bengals, he probably is. For teams with loftier goals, probably not.
    This is pretty laughable. You mean Carson wasn't a franchise QB? You mean Carson wasn't considered a top 5 QB at times during his career? Especially until his knee was torn apart and then his elbow hurt.

Franchise QB's are the hardest things to find in football. There is a reason when you have an above average QB you pay him big dollars to keep him (Joe Flacco).

I think his ceiling is a 12-15 QB. Not bad, but certainly not great. He'll need a lot of help on offense, which he doesn't have currently as of 3/10, to go further in the playoffs. All in all, he's a serviceable average NFL QB.
    I think Andy is a slightly better than average QB. He is never going to be in the top 5 range because he doesn't have the pure arm strength to warrant that. At the same time he is also the guy who has gotten his team to back to back playoff berths in probably the hardest division in football. If Alex Smith can almost take his team to the SB then I think Andy Dalton can. I think he is along the lines of a Jeff Garcia or a better John Kitna. Good QB, not great, but good enough.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I also look for the Bengals to take a QB maybe as early as the 4th.
    I certainly wouldn't mind. That's where the Redskins drafted Kirk Cousins, and now he's worth a 2nd round pick at the minimum. Landry Jones in the 4th or 5th would be nice, although I doubt he falls THAT low. He's definitely not the 1st round talent he was advertised as in 2012, but there's still a lot to like. He has one of the strongest arms in the entire draft.

Zac Dysert wouldn't be a bad pick either.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    This is pretty laughable. You mean Carson wasn't a franchise QB? You mean Carson wasn't considered a top 5 QB at times during his career? Especially until his knee was torn apart and then his elbow hurt.
    You misinterpreted what I said. I meant the Bengals probably view Dalton as a franchise QB where quite a few other teams probably wouldn't.

Carson was absolutely a franchise QB. No doubt about it. Carson at his best was way better than Dalton will ever be.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    You misinterpreted what I said. I meant the Bengals probably view Dalton as a franchise QB where quite a few other teams probably wouldn't.

Carson was absolutely a franchise QB. No doubt about it. Carson at his best was way better than Dalton will ever be.
    The key question should be is Dalton good enough to win? As of right now that answer is yes. He has made it to the playoffs twice without a good RB or without a reliable #2 WR. If Joe Flacco is good enough to win the SB then I think Dalton is as well. In this league I think there are a handful of elite QB's and everyone else is a step down. I would rather pay a guy like Dalton who I think is a better than average QB, better than average money than play a guy like Flacco who may be a little better than Dalton the most money in NFL history.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The key question should be is Dalton good enough to win? As of right now that answer is yes. He has made it to the playoffs twice without a good RB or without a reliable #2 WR. If Joe Flacco is good enough to win the SB then I think Dalton is as well. In this league I think there are a handful of elite QB's and everyone else is a step down. I would rather pay a guy like Dalton who I think is a better than average QB, better than average money than play a guy like Flacco who may be a little better than Dalton the most money in NFL history.
    I'm afraid flacco's contract is going to change the market for "average" quarterbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    I'm afraid flacco's contract is going to change the market for "average" quarterbacks.
    I am not the biggest Flacco fan. I have never really liked him. I think he is a good QB, a QB who deserves to start in the NFL, but I wouldn't put him in the "elite" category or even the top 10. If you look at the NFL landscape where guys like Alex Smith is the best QB on the FA market it tells you what happens when you need a QB.

Him getting hot and winning the SB put Baltimore in a bad position. They needed Flacco back but paying him like he is Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers is a mistake. Had the Denver DB not taken an awful route and allowed the Ravens to score a tying TD Flacco probably makes around the top 5-10 salaries in the league, which IMO is where he should be paid.

Wallace Gilberry resigned by the Bengals today. Good rotational pass rusher.

Bengals are loaded with SEC talent. Good move. I'd bet that has a lot to do with the recent turnaround.

Robert Geathers resigned as well. Bengals employ a nice DE rotation good to see guys coming back. Hopefully it was at the right price as Geathers was overpaid the last few years for his production.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Gradkowski to Steelers, Lawson to Bills, Brown to Giants. Maualuga also visiting Cardinals.
    Last edited by Ohayou; 03-13-2013 at 12:48 PM.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Gradkowski to Steelers, Lawson to Bills, Brown to Giants. Maualuga also visiting Cardinals.
    And to add to your list there Pat Sims to the Raiders.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 03-14-2013 at 11:03 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?