Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best at bat you've ever seen....

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Best at bat you've ever seen....

We've all seen ab's where the hitter just battles and battles until he can get something to drive. We've seen the ones that work the count and work the pitch count. We've seen the ones that ruin the "pitchers pitches" and refuse to bite on those "pitcher's pitches". What do you look for in a good at bat?

And for the record, THIS is the best AB I've ever seen...and it's simply due to the mental aspect of it and the intensity. Was it a gimmick? Maybe, but out-thinking the pitcher is what I want to see. Making the PITCHER uncomfortable...you pull that off, and you win.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Best at bat you've ever seen....

The intensity on Votto's face on tha AB is incredible. I remember watching that and thinking that was equally strange and thrilling.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I can't remember who the opposing pitcher was. Some reliever who threw tons of heat. Votto came up with men on base in a late inning, maybe a final inning. Ran the count full and kept fouling pitch after pitch off. Finally drove one past the shortstop, and I think it might have scored the winning run. It was amazing.

Haunted by walks

I'd look to see other batters be very cool and still in the box. I never understood what the Sean Casey types gain from their gyrations. Votto has the right idea, sending the unmistakable message to the pitcher: You have a problem and I'm it. Deal with it.

6. Likes:

RichRed (05-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I can't remember who the opposing pitcher was. Some reliever who threw tons of heat. Votto came up with men on base in a late inning, maybe a final inning. Ran the count full and kept fouling pitch after pitch off. Finally drove one past the shortstop, and I think it might have scored the winning run. It was amazing.
    I think you are referring to our very own Broxton.

That was fun to watch. Baseball is more exciting when they don't take forever between pitches.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

i still think bruce's at bat against sergio romo was the most intense at bat i've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvLVGbNh-0s

such a heartbreaker...
    Last edited by Billy Hamilton's Legs; 05-11-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    Just call me Legs

Bench's home run in the ninth inning of the fifth game of the 1972 playoffs with the season on the line and a 1-2 count. Period.

11. Likes:

Always Red (05-11-2013),marcshoe (05-11-2013),mth123 (05-11-2013),RedsfaninMT (05-12-2013),remdog (05-11-2013)

I think you are referring to our very own Broxton.
    That it was. Reds were up by a run or two at the time. Broxton came in and was sitting at, like 90 mph and couldn't get the ball past the Reds hitters. After going 1-0 on Rolen (I think), the Dodgers pitching coach came out, told Broxton something about his mechanics, and Broxton came back throwing 96+ and just blew away Rolen. Votto came up next, and had that ridiculous at-bat, getting beat badly on the first two fastballs. He choked up and started fouling everything off, eventually worked the count to 3-2, and then hit a little single to give the Reds another run.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Hamilton's Legs View Post
    i still think bruce's at bat against sergio romo was the most intense at bat i've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvLVGbNh-0s

such a heartbreaker...
    That one was epic considering what was on the line. How many pitches did Bruce see?

The AB between Carlos Beltran and Adam Wainwright in the 2006 NLCS was amazing.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

I saw Kevin Mitchell have one against Rob Dibble (in both players' prime) that was unreal. He remains one of the most gifted hitters I've ever seen.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

16. Likes:

TSJ55 (05-12-2013)

Probably not many of us old enough to remember this guy but practically any at bat by Richie Ashburn. He would routinely foul off ten pitches. Once hit a foul into the stands, broke a woman's nose, and then, in the same at bat, hit another one that hit the same woman as she was being carried out on a stretcher. The most consistently difficult out I've ever seen (at least in the sense of its taking forever).

18. Likes:

wlf WV (05-13-2013)

It's tough to beat that Alex Cora 18 pitch one off Matt Clement, I think he fouled off 14 straight before hitting a HR.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I've heard different versions of the story, but Luke Appling supposedly fouled off 10 or more pitches in a row to the same part of the stands during a game because he was angry at his team owner (Comiskey?) for not being willing to give him some balls to autograph. (Supposedly did the same thing during BP in NY with 25 pitches when they wouldn't give him some game passes.)

Anyway, talk about a guy with plate discipline . . . I always thought it was an interesting "story" and figured if I mentioned it here woy would tell me six more things about it/him I didn't know.

21. Likes:

REDREAD (05-13-2013)

Turn Off Ads?