Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Playoff Roster

2013 Playoff Roster

Before delving into this thread, let's all collectively knock on wood as not to jinx us. (I'm superstitious)

Here is the 2012 playoff roster:

SP (4)
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Cueto
    Latos

BP (7)
    Arredondo
    LeCure
    Marshall
    Simon
    Broxton
    Chapamn
    Hoover

INF (9)
    Hanigan
    Navarro
    Cairo
    Frazier
    Votto
    Valdez
    Cozart
    Phillips
    Rolen

OF (5)
    Ludwick
    Bruce
    Stubbs
    Paul
    Heisey

What does everybody think the 2013 roster will look like?

Will we try the Cueto experiment again? What about Hanigan and Marshall? Will Ludwick and Broxton be impactful enough to warrant a roster spot? If so, who doesn't make it? Finally, if we are the WC team who would you start in the one game playoff?

I know it is a little early for playoff talk, but I thought it would make for a nice discussion that can be updated as guys return and the season progresses. Also, it is a little boring without a game today and the trade deadline passing.
    Last edited by BungleBengals; 08-01-2013 at 02:21 PM.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2013 Playoff Roster

I'm going to assume Cueto and Marshall won't be back.

Locks (for me):

Mesoraco
    Hanigan

Votto
    Phillips
    Cozart
    Fraizer
    Hannahan

Ludwick
    Choo
    Bruce
    Heisey
    Hamilton

Bailey
    Latos
    Leake
    Arroyo

Cingrani
    Parra
    Hoover
    Simon
    Broxton
    LeCure
    Chapman

Which leaves two bubble spots to decide between Paul, Robinson, Izturis, maybe a guy like Donald or Burris in AAA, or another pitcher or two.

A lot of it will decide on how the last two months play out. I think D-Rob deserves to be on the playoff roster, but him and Hamilton seems a bit redundant. If they view Hamilton as stricly a PR and that's it, that gets D-Rob on it.

I'd probably choose D-Rob and Paul as the last two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I'm going to assume Cueto and Marshall won't be back.

Locks (for me):

Mesoraco
    Hanigan

Votto
    Phillips
    Cozart
    Fraizer
    Hannahan

Ludwick
    Choo
    Bruce
    Heisey
    Hamilton

Bailey
    Latos
    Leake
    Arroyo

Cingrani
    Parra
    Hoover
    Simon
    Broxton
    LeCure
    Chapman

Which leaves two bubble spots to decide between Paul, Robinson, Izturis, maybe a guy like Donald or Burris in AAA, or another pitcher or two.

A lot of it will decide on how the last two months play out. I think D-Rob deserves to be on the playoff roster, but him and Hamilton seems a bit redundant. If they view Hamilton as stricly a PR and that's it, that gets D-Rob on it.

Probably a bit premature to say Hamilton makes it. Wouldn't D-Rob be the better choice?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

No. I'm taking Hamilton no matter what for his SB ability late in games. I don't care if he doesn't get an AB or play an inning in the field. he's a lock to make it, IMO.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

6. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-05-2013)

I really like your roster. However, I assume that Izturis is kept because he can play SS and it's a plus that he is a switch hitter. But I definitely think that Hannahan would be in danger of not getting on the roster. Also, I would like to see Soto during September call ups. He is batting pretty well and is a decent RH power bat that we could use if Ludwick returns like Votto did last year.

Also, I think that Hanigan is done for the season. I thought I heard that he still can't even pick up a bat. I wonder if so, would they take Miller to the playoffs or if a FA or September call up is going to fill the void.

I really hope Hamilton is taken too. I know Dusty will probably not take him because he was never on the team that fought all year to make the playoffs, but he is a weapon that can be used. Even as a PR, he will wreak havoc on the basebaths and distract both the pitcher and catcher. I think both him and DRob could be on the team together. Extra innings and late game scoring opportunities are big chances for them to PR. We would have two of them so we could burn one in the 5th or 6th too if a pitcher gets on base or something.

Also, I would assume that Latos pitches the one game playoff, but Leake is a very close second. Maybe Bailey if it is in Pittsburgh.

If Hanigan is done for the year, I'll be shocked if Walt doesn't find a better backup than Corky in August.

9. Likes:

Big Klu (08-02-2013)

No. I'm taking Hamilton no matter what for his SB ability late in games. I don't care if he doesn't get an AB or play an inning in the field. he's a lock to make it, IMO.
    To further explain my previous post, I agree with you. Hamilton is a weapon that we cannot ignore, again. I think both him and DRob are warranted spots. Hamilton's presence alone can distract the pitcher and make him throw a bad throw or hang a breaking ball. Look at the movie '42' the way Jackie distracts the pitchers, I think it would be similar here.

Also, with Choo's ankle which is not an injury that just goes away, we would have two speedy, capable defensive guys to play CF.

If Hanigan is done for the year, I'll be shocked if Walt doesn't find a better backup than Corky in August.
    Yeah my question is who?

I know Olivo is out there and Ramon Hernandez who has experience with most of our pitchers anyways.

Also I wonder if Ashley or Barnhart is called up in September. Only problem is that neither one is on the 40 man. Perhaps Masset makes room for one?

I'd be beyond shocked if Dusty didn't take Izturis.

Robinson and Paul will make it I'd bet.

I mean, Hernandez would be an improvement over Corky at the very least. Hernaraco doesn't have the same ring to it that "Hernanigan" did though.

It's not going to be much of an issue for one game. Just go with what you've got and cross your fingers. It's all up to the fates, anyway.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    I'd be beyond shocked if Dusty didn't take Izturis.

Robinson and Paul will make it I'd bet.
    If Robinson and Paul make it, I don't see how Hamilton does, too.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    If Robinson and Paul make it, I don't see how Hamilton does, too.
    Dusty wont use Hamilton unless he's a Sept call up and sees him prosper many times.

I'm all for having Hamilton (I would've last postseason)...but my money is one any currect guy over Hamilton

Dusty wont use Hamilton unless he's a Sept call up and sees him prosper many times.

I'm all for having Hamilton (I would've last postseason)...but my money is one any currect guy over Hamilton
    I would say so, too. Others disagree (see above). Apparently, he's a "lock."

I think Hamilton would have to be on the team by August 31st if he has a chance at postseason. Probably can move someone down for a day just in case Hamilton does prove himself in September.

I would probably be okay leaving Paul off for Hamilton, but also would not have a problem leaving Hannahan off for him either.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I would say so, too. Others disagree (see above). Apparently, he's a "lock."
    I am not saying his is a lock, but I think he adds more to the team than Paul or Hannahan does.

19. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-05-2013)

Turn Off Ads?