Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

Re: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I just wonder what benefit Votto thinks he derives from choking up?

That has to decrease his ability to hit for power. And his eye is so good I don't think he needs to do it to protect the plate.
    He probably believes like many that it doesn't hurt his power whatsoever. Bonds did alright in power department. He was 10th in nl in slugging. How much power do people really expect from him? Coming up he was never projected to be a top 10 power guy so I think he is getting about the most out of his tools as he can. Power is down all over. People seem to forget this constantly.

2. Likes:

dubc47834 (10-26-2013),Larkin Fan (10-29-2013),TSJ55 (10-27-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I think Walt had the right idea in the first post. Talk things over with Bryan about which lineup spot he thinks would be better with his approach.

I don't think Walt ever really said Joey had to change his approach, just that third in the lineup might not be the best spot for him with his approach.
    I'm not being critical of you. You are just posting what you heard on the podcast but regardless of where they decide to hit Votto in the order "because of his approach", don't they have to put guys behind him that can hit? If the Reds have the same roster, do they honestly think moving Votto to 2nd is going to create more runs? Who is going to hit 3rd? Phillips, who hit behind him last year? Bruce, who couldn't hit 4th because of the "dreaded 2 lefties in a row"? Ludwick, who could just as easily hit 4th?

Jocketty should tread lightly because, IMO, this "problem" with Votto really puts the pressure on him to acquire someone who can "produce in the 3rd hole like Votto couldn't"

I'd also like to add that if they move Votto to the 2 hole to maximize his ABs, or "because studies have shown that is where your best hitter should go", then I'm 100% on board. I don't like how the front office is treating it as if it were a demotion.

6. Likes:

wheels (10-27-2013)

at least when jocketty speaks with price, English will be utilized as opposed to

1) He is dealin"
    2) We needed him to get goin big time
    3) It was a big time win

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob jones View Post
    at least when jocketty speaks with price, English will be utilized as opposed to

1) He is dealin"
    2) We needed him to get goin big time
    3) It was a big time win
    I think all those words are in the English dictionary. I could be wrong, it's been a while since I have opened it...

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I'm not being critical of you. You are just posting what you heard on the podcast but regardless of where they decide to hit Votto in the order "because of his approach", don't they have to put guys behind him that can hit? If the Reds have the same roster, do they honestly think moving Votto to 2nd is going to create more runs? Who is going to hit 3rd? Phillips, who hit behind him last year? Bruce, who couldn't hit 4th because of the "dreaded 2 lefties in a row"? Ludwick, who could just as easily hit 4th?

Jocketty should tread lightly because, IMO, this "problem" with Votto really puts the pressure on him to acquire someone who can "produce in the 3rd hole like Votto couldn't"
    I actually brought up the question of who was going to hit third in the lineup earlier in the thread, because like you said, no one currently in the lineup or roster can do it.

If Walt is publicly going to suggest moving Votto to 2nd, then he has to have in mind acquiring via trade or FA someone to hit 3rd. If you're talking trading Brandon as well, multiple changes in this year's lineup can be expected. I see no other reason why he would bring the issue up.

This is the best quote on Votto's approach that I have seen.

He isn't aggressive enough in the zone lately. Needs to trust his swing as much as his eye.

11. Likes:

757690 (10-27-2013),Superdude (10-27-2013),TSJ55 (10-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    This is the best quote on Votto's approach that I have seen.
    I think this is exactly what the Reds want to talk to Votto about. It's not about expanding the zone, but being aggressive early in the count to take advantage of balls he can crush. This wouldn't be much of an adjustment, and considering his extremely high BABIP, it would be very effective. It did seem like last year Votto was expecting to be pitched around, and taking pitches, or being behind on pitches he should have crushed early in the count.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

FWIW, Votto saw 4.18 P/PA last year. That compares to a 4.30 in 2012 and a 4.02 for his career.

As for getting in to deep counts, here's some data from B-R:
    Code:
    	PA	2Str	3Bal	2Str	3Bal
    2009	543	277	155	51%	29%
    2010	648	330	165	51%	25%
    2011	719	342	215	48%	30%
    2012	475	241	172	51%	36%
    2013	726	370	251	51%	35%
    As far as I can tell, if Joey is going deeper in to counts, it's because he's getting to more 3 ball counts. It's not like he suddenly started getting to 2 strike counts last year. I think the RBI narrative has caused a lot re-interpreting of what people were already watching.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

14. Likes:

Larkin Fan (10-28-2013),LoganBuck (10-30-2013),Raisor (10-28-2013)

As far as Walt goes I have always stated that he likes (and is good at) managing (or manipulating really) the fans/anyone outside the organization. I think when it comes to his response on Joey he is simply trying to placate the fanbase. But it shows his lack of knowledge of the game, not surprisingly as I have also always maintained Walt doesn't know the finer points of the game/talent. Hope Joey and Bryan are smart enough to realize most just don't get it including their overrated GM and not hold their ignorance against them.

On Joey, I think his issues this year were brought on by the fact he kind of gave away his approach to every pitcher out there with that interview right before the season. I thought pitchers did a really great job of keeping him off balance and in addition to that he got less non fastballs than ever before which imo is his kryptonite, though to be fair he still managed to hit right around .300 with 20+ HR's and ops. .900+.

For any fan that is concerned about him not getting RBI, just improve the guys around him and watch the rbi go up!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Yankee manager Casey Stengel observed recently that Mickey Mantle might be more valuable to the team if he would only swing naturally instead of trying to pull every pitch for a record home run.

Red Smith - New York Herald 8/9/53

Stengel also replied when asked why he picked Hobie Landrith first in the expansion draft, said if you don't have a catcher the ball will roll to the backstop

On Votto
    "He (Joey Votto) has to fit better into the role we see for him, or he might have to hit in a different spot in the order..... that's something Bryan will certainly approach Joey with, and something we will discuss. There are certain things he has to do."

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    The Votto comments are most interesting. If this isn't calling him out, mildly at least, I don't know what is.
    It's just Walt calling out Dusty's lineup construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I've wondered for months why the speculation about the change in Votto's approach hasn't centered more on whether it was caused by the condition of his knee. If he had discussed that openly during the season, it might have headed off some of the criticism, particularly from the grumpy guys who sit in front of open microphones during each game.

Without that knowledge, the assumption has ranged from it being a conscious choice to the result of various other external factors.
    I hear he's he headed for total knee replacement after that horrific injury he had. Unlike Peterson he will never ever recover from it.

Quote Originally Posted by bob jones View Post
    Stengel also replied when asked why he picked Hobie Landrith first in the expansion draft, said if you don't have a catcher the ball will roll to the backstop
    It's one of my favorite quotes. It's reported on the internet several different ways. I remember it as "if you don't have a catcher you have all passed balls." Hilarious.

As is "good pitching stops good hitting and vice versa."

Stengel's quotes are just priceless.

Turn Off Ads?