Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Skip Schumaker

Re: Reds Sign Skip Schumaker

Willie Harris << Cesar Izturis <<< Skip Schumaker. He is an upgrade over the past two years by leaps and bounds IMO.

2. Likes:

Billy Hamilton's Legs (11-18-2013),cincinnati chili (11-18-2013),HeatherC1212 (11-19-2013),joshua (11-18-2013),RedsBrick (11-18-2013),toledodan (11-18-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Always knew he would end up a Red eventually.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

mdccclxix (11-18-2013),meigsred (11-18-2013),The Operator (11-18-2013),wlf WV (11-19-2013)

Of course you did, Walt. Gimmie a break. Whatever they envision Schumaker doing for us, I guarantee there was somebody out there who could do it better.

.279/.347/.357 vs. right-handed pitching over the past two seasons. Plays 2B and all three OF spots. Not an earth-shattering move, but he's the type of 25th man/bench player this team needs.

8. Likes:

cincinnati chili (11-18-2013),Edd Roush (11-18-2013),RedsBrick (11-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Usual assortment of posts who continue to fail to grasp the concept of a 25 man roster.
    You must need a telescope to look so far down your nose at the rest of us.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I don't recall you posting anything on the first few pages of the thread, so I'm surprised that you wouldgo out of your way to be offended by a fairly innocuous comment that wasn't even directed anywhere close to your direction.

I'll make it simple. Schumaker is the epitome of a bench player. He's not a terrible one. He's not a great one.

Anyone who has a problem with a signing such as this one either doesn't appreciate that every 25 man roster in baseball has guys such as this or is misreading the Reds' intentions of how they will be using Skippy. I think as normal, the first page features a few people scratching their head on what is a pretty standard signing that organizations make, and clearly, this is not a signing being made with the intetion of him getting marquee at-bats.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    Skip is a pretty good bet to hit about .270 with a .330 OBP, so he pretty much can give you what Infante gives you on offense.

He is 33, about to to 34 in February, but maybe you can get one more of those .290, .350 OBP years out of him. If you can, then you just solved your 2 hole problem. If not, he is a good bench player.
    not bad - can't see him as anymore than someone competing for a bench buffer's spot. At least he has some OB skills (slight though they may be) beats Izturis as the last but on the bench (if he makes the squad). If he starts though, we are in deep deep doo.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 11-18-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Of course you did, Walt. Gimmie a break. Whatever they envision Schumaker doing for us, I guarantee there was somebody out there who could do it better.
    If Walt envisions Skip as a 2B/OF with positional versatility and a reasonable contract, which other players would you propose? I can't say I've thought of any after a few minutes, but I might just be dense.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I appear to be in the minority but I LOVE this signing. The guy plays 4 positions and hits RHP well. Gives the Reds all kinds of flexibility. They can trade Phillips and have an in house replacement. Ideally, they would get a platoon partner (who can also play multiple positions like Robert Andino or Ryan Roberts) for him that hits lefties well. If they find someone better after trading Phillips, great, then you have a super utility man.

14. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-19-2013),wheels (11-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Exactly. I mean only a moron would question the signing of a 34-year old sub-replacement level player to a 2-year deal who I'm assuming is supposed to be our backup infielder even though he can't play SS or 3B or really 2B either. Or maybe he's outfielder depth because he's so much better than Paul and Heisey?

...Or maybe Walt signed him because he used to be a Cardinal and some people think that's a dumb reason to sign somebody.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Anyone who has a problem with a signing such as this one either doesn't appreciate that every 25 man roster in baseball has guys such as this or is misreading the Reds' intentions of how they will be using Skippy. I think as normal, the first page features a few people scratching their head on what is a pretty standard signing that organizations make, and clearly, this is not a signing being made with the intetion of him getting marquee at-bats.
    To be fair, we don't really know what WJ's intentions were with this signing. Skip seems like a guy to ride the end of the bench with versatility -- but we won't know if he is that until the rest of the offseason shakes out. I think it is also possible he ends up at 2B or in CF. I hope that's not the case, but I would deem it in the realm of the conceivable.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

My head tells me this is a good, low-key move and fills a spot that hurt us last year. My heart tells me I can never, ever root for this man.

18. Likes:

meigsred (11-18-2013)

I'm guessing he replaces Heisey, not Hannahan.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

20. Likes:

joshua (11-18-2013),kpresidente (11-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    To be fair, we don't really know what WJ's intentions were with this signing. Skip seems like a guy to ride the end of the bench with versatility -- but we won't know if he is that until the rest of the offseason shakes out. I think it is also possible he ends up at 2B or in CF. I hope that's not the case, but I would deem it in the realm of the conceivable.
    I will say this, if the Reds intention is to use Skippy as a starting player, or even share time as a starting player, then this is a very non-sensical signing and will contribute as one of the worst starting players in the major leagues.

I can't recall Jocketty doing anything that misguided in his tenure as a Red, or even a Cardinal, so I think it's hardly outlandish to assume that he has signed a perennial bench player as a, well, bench player.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    If Walt envisions Skip as a 2B/OF with positional versatility and a reasonable contract, which other players would you propose? I can't say I've thought of any after a few minutes, but I might just be dense.
    Wouldn't it make more sense just to sign a real middle infielder? And do we need more Schumaker-level depth in the OF (and let's be real...corner OF)? What does he bring that Xavier Paul doesn't already?

Turn Off Ads?