Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds by Games Played

Reds by Games Played

For absolutely no reason at all (except maybe being bored out of my mind, and too awake), here's the Reds top 10 by games played*:

Rose (2722)
    Concepcion (2488)
    Larkin (2180)
    Bench (2158)
    McPhee (2138)
    Perez (1948)
    Pinson (1565)
    Robinson (1502)
    Driessen (1480)
    Roush (1399)

Ok, Phillips is currently 38th with 910 games; Votto is 86th with 621.

Assuming Phillips and Votto average 130 (conservative estimate) games per season for the life of their contracts, Phillips will have played 1700 games (7th place) and Votto will tie Larkin. (I also did 150 games, which would have brought Phillips to 1810 and Votto to 2421. If the Reds exercise their option on Votto, he has a realistic shot of being in 2nd all time. Nobody is probably ever going to catch Rose.)

Another interesting observation: Is it an accident that the majority of these players were from the greatest era in Reds' history? Do you think they are going for a repeat?

*Source: Baseball Reference
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds by Games Played

It's so rare to have 1 guy play so many years on a club, let alone two and maybe 3 with Bruce. You might be on to something about the ownership and players "going for" longevity with each other.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Jay Bruce could end up 1st on that list if he plays until he is 40 with the Reds. Lock him up BCast!

The reality of today's game is that few players will likely even come close to challenging the most games played for a single team when it's one of the old franchises like the Reds. Votto has a chance to be a rare player who gets that chance because he signed a LT contract with his original team - which is kind of a novel thing. The usual FA route is the player leaving for another team to get that huge contract.

Cruisin' for trouble

The only name on the list that surprises me is Driessen. I thought he played caddy to Perez long enough that he wouldn't make the top 10.

Haunted by walks

I think the Reds have had someone on the team who's spent his entire career with the team, in an unbroken line that goes back to 1967.

This has the makings of a Sporcle quiz.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I think the Reds have had someone on the team who's spent his entire career with the team, in an unbroken line that goes back to 1967.

Bernie Stowe?

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Bench was with the Reds from 1967 through 1983, Concepcion was with the Reds from 1970 through 1989 and Larkin was with the Reds from 1986 through 2004....but on the 2004 team is still with the Reds?
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Bench was with the Reds from 1967 through 1983, Concepcion was with the Reds from 1970 through 1989 and Larkin was with the Reds from 1986 through 2004....but on the 2004 team is still with the Reds?
    Joe Valentine gets us to 2006, Brian Shackleford gets us to 2008, then Joey Votto takes over.

Turn Off Ads?